Asphalt 5 - low framerate on all Idevices ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ezak, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #1 Ezak, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Hey all,

I've given up playing on the game and went back to NFS.
    'Driving' at 15fps-20fps on the faststest Idevice just doesn't cut it for me...
    Yes, the graphics look nice, but i would have gotten rid of a few effects for smooth framerate.

The screenshots also have some sort of anisotropic filtering on them, but the game does not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering). The road is a big lump of pixels midscreen...not so nice...
    Also, unlike NFS, there is some visible clipping on far away building...

Others state they have super smooth graphics on their 3GS, and then later admit that framerate could be improved.. Seriously, what is that about ?

edit: changed "laggy" to "low framerate" in title to be more clear.

2. jaikben

jaikben Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    no lag here framerate seems to be fine but not as good as real racing, 3GS, FW 3.0, but you are correct about the GFX ferrari gt lookst much better. And the filter in the pictures is misleading I thought the 3GS could handle that kind of filters, it all seems very low res with some blur effect trying to make it look better

3. shap08

shap08 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Manchester United FAN!
    Australia-DownUnder
    No lag on my 3rd generaton but i admit it needs a framerate update.

4. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Why most gameloft games whinners usually only have a post or two to their credit before making a thread? As it is game runs like butter in my iPhone 3g, multiplayer is good too!

5. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #5 Ezak, Nov 3, 2009
    Yeah, my post is totally useless because i only have "a post or two" to my credit...

I actually enjoy gameloft titles a lot, but no, the framerate is not butter smooth on a 3GS, so i doubt it is on a 3G. Smooth framerate means 24+fps. The game is at 15+, 20at best when facing a wall...
    Lower framerate also means less responsive controls...
    Weird thing is that the car displayed in the menu is at the same framerate as in a running race, as if the fps were capped.

Don't get me wrong, the game is ok, but it would be perfect if it were smooth, i wouldn't even care about the "photoshoped" screenshots.
    Right now i'm just dissapointed and consider NFSU a more enjoyable arcade racing game =)

edit: grammar police

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just because the framerate sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks for everyone. Running fine on my 3rd Gen Touch

7. pavenger

pavenger Active Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Student at EWU; Pursuing B.S. Mechanical Engineeri
    For the most part, frame rate on my 3rd gen touch is great, every. Now and then it gets a little choppy, but it doesn't happen frequent enough for me to really care. I really wish developers weren't allowed to docter their "screenshots" before posting them, as another poster mentioned, it is very misleading.

8. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    IMO, this is the most enjoyable racer of the idevice! NFS has great graphics but felt like 'on the rails' plus this one got leaderboards and online in NFS when your done your done.

9. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

The framerate wasn't too bad for me on my 3GS, but when I restarted the device after playing a game immediately after installing it, the framerate seemed to become better and has stayed there ever since.

10. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    On my 3rd gen touch, I would say at least 30 FPS, the framerate's better than Eliminate online! The road is somewhat pixelated, but fine. And the graphics I get in-game are similar to the screenshots. The first one's a bit fake, but I haven't gotten that car yet, so it might be extremely smooth (but I doubt it). The graphics are on the level of the second screenshot, that's how good they are.

11. kleskus

kleskus Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I have this same problem on 3GS. Playing is uncomfortable, looks like i have 15-20FPS... No lags, but low framerate - too low...

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #12 squarezero, Nov 3, 2009
    Console quality is usually defined around 60 FPS. Real Racing gets close to that on a 3Gs. After an initial restart, Asphalt 5 is going around 24-30 FPS, which is actually pretty good considering the level of detail. That's what I meant when I said that frame rate could be better on the other thread. Saying that it plays smoothly (that is, lag free) and that it could have better frame rate are not contradictory statements in my view.

Edit: About the clipping on far-away buildings -- keep in mind that NFS's backgrounds are basically painted backdrops, while Asphalt 5 seems to be using 3D models throughout. In fact, compared to Gangstar, the draw distances are very impressive.

13. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008

Take a look at my demo video showing both the 3G and the 3G S - is your phone equally laggy?

14. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    everything is ok on my 3gs

:D:D:):)

15. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #15 Ezak, Nov 3, 2009
    I agree with you there, and I understand the limitations of an idevice.
    I'm not asking for 60fps smooth...On a screen of the size and quality the iphone, i'm sure that 30fps is a nice enough target and that's what i'm going for.

I don't know....For a racer (NFS) or a fps (MC), anything 25+fps average feels and plays great.
    Just look at TrueAxis' upcoming game: Smooth framerate, with numbers going from 30 on 1stgen and up to 60 on 3GS from what they said. And although unrealistic, the graphics look amazing (and they're not 'simple').

Sure, for a slower paced game like a 1st/3rd person rpg (like Ravensword) or rts (like red alert), anything 20+fps will do fine (I didn't try ravensword but Crusader of Destiny's lower fps didn't bother me), but this is a racing game we're talking about...

On my 3GS, Real Racing runs a little better that Asphalt 5, but it's nowhere near as smooth as NFSU (framerate wise).
    I haven't done a hard reboot in a while, so maybe this will help Asphalt (didn't help Real Racing=)

Anyways, the devs did a great job, no doubt in that.
    I would just have redefined my priorities, placing smooth framerate number 1.
    I don't know... In a test game i'm making, I was toying with shaders hoping to add a blur to the outline of my character when a powerup was used... And man, it looked great, but well, i suck too much to find an efficient way to do it so I had to let the pass go, it ate too much power...
    I don't know, this isn't the PC world, on a non evolutive platform, smooth fps is king for me...

/cheers

P.S: Sorry for my english, not my mother tongue..

Edit: TY Menneisyys, i'll give that a look =)

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Nothing wrong with your English -- your post is very clear. I generally agree with what you're saying, and i defer to you as a developer as far as the effect of shaders, blurs, etc. NFSU definitely plays very smoothly, but I'd rather sacrifice a few frames per second to get the feeling than I'm racing in a real place, and not a trench/racetrack.

As you say, it' a matter of developer priorities. We already have an NFSU (and a Real Racing, for that matter); I'm glad that Gameloft went with different concept and priorities on Asphalt 5.

Ultimately, the question is: does Asphalt 5 deliver the rush of high speed driving? The answer for me is yes.

17. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Yeah, that's pretty much my take. graphics were smoother and faster on NFSU, but the gameplay on Asphalt is killer. I feel much more like I'm racing down a track - weaving in and out of traffic, than leaning left and right on a rail like I felt playing NFSU.

I'd love to see an update that addresses the framerate, or some new options that would disable some graphics effects in order to increase performance, but it won't stop me from enjoying it as is. I'm on a 3G, and the game is certainly playable in it's current form. It's the most fun I've had in a racing game on the iPhone, and the closest I have to a portable Burnout.

18. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Feeling of speed is good on A5, but I agree that the framerate could be better, the pixelation is annoying, and there are stutters and lags on a non-jailbroken 32gb 3GS with lots of free space. I actually enjoy the game for the most part, but I really feel like it could be better.