Games Like Dungeon Hunter 4 That Won't Put Me in Debt?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Piph, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Really? I haven't had to buy gold once - the only thing I paid for was another class. I get all my gear from drops/quest rewards and then sell everything else, plus there's gold in dungeons as well. Granted, that's often a very small amount, but a number of instances/dungeons/quests (not sure what the correct word would be) are stuffed with chests and barrels. It adds up after a while, enough so for me.

The only problem I've had is whenever I have to buy health potions - an annoyingly rare drop and the prices get higher as you level, those can put a dent in my gold easily. I found some gear that increases chances of health orbs, though, so that hasn't kept me from surviving.. but I wish I could have a steady stock. :p I'm playing as the Plague Wizard; ranged + mage tends to be a little squishy universally.

ETA: Have you been buying from the Blacksmith? Because I can see needing a lot of gold for using him regularly for gear. I haven't actually bought anything from him yet.

2. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I got Heroes Call the other day. I've had some fun with it and it's staying on my device for the foreseeable future, but I have some issues.

1. In order to take advantage of the appraiser adequately, you have to continually log into the game without actually playing a campaign periodically throughout the game. That sort of thing is why I stopped playing Tiny Tower, Puzzle and Dragons, and other social games. And in those games, that system made sense. Replaying campaigns nets you way too much stuff to identify in too much time, often for a different class, and that's the primary way to make money in the game. Also, it's odd that when you replay a mission, you get way more loot than when you went through it the first time.

2. Access to all four classes is 5 dollars, that's a reasonable price for this game already. If I do beat the game as a Blood Knight, I will most certainly play as the others. I'm not sure the remnant freemium aspects of the game make all that much sense anymore. Class selection is fairly standard in this sort of game.

3. I don't even know how to BUY potions. I see how to buy gold, but the ironic thing about this game is that despite the developers likely trying to goad players into buying gold, I don't really think that an unlimited supply of gold would actually make the game that much easier. Even if I bought everything the blacksmith had that was the best I could use at my level, some squads of enemies are just too efficient at beating me up and there's no way to out-level them, just make myself a richer corpse. Now, if I knew how to buy potions and I just kept buying resurrections, sure, I could keep progressing, but it's such an awkward way to buy your way through the game compared to having vastly superior equipment, which money doesn't really allow you to do.

3. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    #43 Enriana, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    I shelled out $4 for the Plague Wizard and Combat Alchemist, have played a bunch as both (not much of Blood Knight) and can say that although there is (obviously) overlap, it's not like playing the exact same story but with different buttons.

It took me a really long time to figure out how to buy potions - the only way seems to be is when you're at 0 for either type, hitting the potion button will pull up a "buy" screen. I really don't know why the devs chose to set it up that way, once or twice I've essentially had to use a potion just so I could get more. It doesn't matter if you have 0 health or power - you have the option to buy both either way. The prices increase as you level - that's where most of my gold has gone - but I found that once I started keeping track of health orbs and using them strategically (often running back to them during a battle) I wasn't so reliant on health potions.

The Combat Alchemist consumes a lot of power, so I've used potions with him - ironically (and frustratingly) enough, I get more power/mana potion drops on my PW and a ton of health ones on my CA.

Also, unrelated tip that I found while poking around Google: if you "retry" a dungeon after dying, you'll have the exact sets of enemies; if you "quit" and restart it from town, the enemies will be randomized again. So if you're dying because you have a dungeon full of orcs and goblin mages/healers (argh) you can start over and hope the game is nicer. :p (You lose your progress either way.)