what is it about matching three gems?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Amelia, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Honestly, what about matching three of anything in a row seems so appealing to the human mind? Certainly this is not something that has come through any evolutionary thing. Who figured out "man, people LOVE matching three of something shiney in a row! we're rich!"

What do you find appealing about it? Personally, I can't figure it out. I only know I love it. :D

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nothing whatsoever, match-3 games literally make me want to tear my hair out. I'm not exaggerating either, I find it so incredibly dull and tedious I simply can't bear to do it for more than 5 minutes at a time, hell I'd be lucky to make it that far. It seems quite popular with people who "aren't really gamers" though, like young girls and bored Facebook people.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I'm with you on that one. It's pretty much for people who never game, although there are a few who still play it. I play Bejeweled very casually, just pull it out if I got bored. But then I got the only Match 3 game that will ever actually matter to a real gamer like me, PUZZLE QUEST! That game is actually really fun and pretty deep, it's surprising what they did with the pretty lame match 3 game system.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Some match 3 games are good, most aren't.

Azkend holds the title of the first game I bought immediately after playing the lite version.

I really wanted to like puzzle quest, but the lite version kept crashing on me. :(

5. Morrigan

Morrigan Member

Dec 31, 2009
    New York
    Midian said it right: it's a simple one-function game for people who aren't serious about gaming. Still think bejeweled is the best one on the app store (maybe because it's just a classic...)

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I did enjoy puzzle quest more than the usual match-3 games, lots of tactics and gameplay variants involved in that. Never actually finished it though.

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Match 3s definitely are ranked lower on my favorite type of game, but I do still enjoy to play the only ones I have on my Touch; Charmed & hexter.

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    the only one I ever really played is Trism

9. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know what it is about them, but I really like playing Match 3 games. Over time, the games have become a little more strategic as you need to figure out how to remove certain items from the board. Or get a match to unlock an item.

I have a good background in PC gaming, too. Went through Half-Life, the whole Jedi Knight series, many of the Age of Empires games and a bunch of other games...I was a big PC gamer for quite a number of years.

10. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    not for "real gamers" what classifies a real gamer then? :rolleyes:

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's a generalization obviously, but in a nutshell... the people who don't sit on Facebook playing Bejeweled Blitz because they're bored, because they've always got one or several PC/console games on the go. People who spend money on gaming as a hobby... and people who don't just own a DS or Wii.

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    If you want more than Match-3 then; yes! Go with Puzzle Quest chp. 1 & 2 as stated. The way the "Match 3" is implemented into the game makes it very fun. It's the only match 3 type of game i have and i consider it more of an RPG. I wonder if the chapter 3 expansion will still be implemented? The game is very long and offers a ton of replayability. It's one i personally will not delete to make room.

13. QuantumPotato

QuantumPotato Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    They're simple to play - you don't have to have a lot of co-ordination (except in the time attack modes), and the flashy graphics appeal to people. Plus there's the element of randomness, you never know what will fall out next and get you a big combo. Maybe they're like the slot machines of video games? :confused:

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    That's a good analogy, someone should create a match-3 games that pays out, similar to Ramp Champ with it's tokens. You could buy new background graphics and tile sets, bigger combos would mean more coins. Puzzlings kinda does that, rewarding you for doing well with new clothes and items for your creature.

15. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    um, our brains are basically wired to find patterns in everything. Without this basic function, we would be insane and wouldn't survive for long. So, making a game that takes what is basically human and making it simple/fun is one of the most genius ideas ever in gaming.

really though, try to think of some case where you're not fitting your perceived reality into some pattern set, I 100% guarantee you can't since thinking in itself is a pattern matching game.