Heroes of Steel questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Debaser, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Debaser

Debaser Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Can anyone help me with Heroes of Steel? Stuck.

2. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

@debaser - happy to help you move forward on the game. Where are you stuck?

This is fallen, the dev & artist.

3. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

Have you killed the Ratkin Great Shaman? If so, have you visited the Barracks after your victory? If so, return to the inn to rest.

Let me know exactly where you are in the process!

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    Just stumbled on it, and wanted to say that it got me interested. No idea how I missed HoS till now. Carry on :)

5. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

@nullzone - hope you'll give us a try on your phone, tab, or desktop! The game is everywhere now, including Steam, so I also don't know how you missed it :D

6. Debaser

Debaser Member

Jun 1, 2014
    stuck in episode 1

Thanks fallen. Stuck in episode 1. Ceared N Hall and W road, Vermin lair and warren,returning to Oskahold each step, visiting reeve and potion lady (gave her papers), but I can't move on. Second time thru to this point...thought I'd missed something...must have missedit again.

7. Debaser

Debaser Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Great game Nullzone!

Enjoying this so much, classic turn based RPG. Perfect to play at ur own pace. Now we need more games like 1st gen Nintendo games Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Ghengis Khan and Nobungas Ambition.

Needless to say this is well worth purchase. Later.

8. Debaser

Debaser Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Done all that Fallen. Killed Shaman, rested at inn, visited barracks and potion lady, went back everywhere seeing what I missed. Can't figure...no roads out still. I thought next step is bodyguard mission but can't get it to begin.

9. Debaser

Debaser Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Update fail was problem :eek:

Holy updates! My update hadn't installed. Opened up some memory, updated and the game continues. Thanks Fallen for the response for help. My pleasure. :)

10. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

@debaser - great news! Glad that you were able to get moving forward again. We do release a lot of updates, and many of them include some really important pieces.

We hope you'll give the game a rating and tell a few friends who might like this kind of gaming!

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #11 Nullzone, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    Figured that out, you released at a time when I was only checking for new RPGs once in a blue moon. And Steam ... I owned my last gaming PC 20 years ago (no kidding) , so for me "steam" is the stuff you get from hot water, or as in Steampunk :)

Anyways, bought the full version after a few minutes with the free one.
    Playing with the default party for now; just escaped and got my first levelups .
    The skill/stat descriptions are *excellent* , the best I have seen in a long gaming career. Especially love the "flavored" explanations from the character's point of view.
    Gameplay feels good so far, no complaints. Combat went smooth, with tactics making some difference, e.g. blocking off a doorway with the Fighter and pelting the enemy with ranged attacks.
    Only quibble I have is that the damage ranges are rather big, e.g. the Fighter doing anything from 5-25 points (example, no exact numbers from the game) .

Story and world look promising, curious to learn more.
    And the chase in the tunnels was great; gave a real feeling of "no, we *cannot* explore every nook and cranny for loot, RUN!" urgency.

Now, on towards some criticism:
    1) No volume controls, only on/off switches. A lot of times I want the background music louder, and the effects less.
    2) Not obvious that you can pinch to zoom. Figured out because I just try that in games where it makes sense. But should be mentioned somewhere.
    3) No overview map. Does not have to be a HUD map, although that would be ideal. But I at least want to see at one glance where I'm going and where I've been. So if it's an extra "map screen" , no biggie.
    4) The first time a character levels up, the game should mention that you can distribute skill points etc. later. I was disappointed at first when "nothing happened" at levelup.
    5) User Interface: Very well done in general. I play on an iPad Air, and think the skill buttons on the right could be a bit smaller. While the party control buttons (especially that tiny arrow) on the left could be bigger. If I find the time tomorrow, I'll attach some screenshots for comparison.
    For now, look at Avadon2 for a negative example: controls are way too small and not really comfortable to use. Battleheart:Legacy's skill buttons at the bottom are perfect size in my opinion.

6) Now, the absolute worst offender: only one saveslot, no manual saving. That's a total no-go. What if my savefile gets corrupted? Or I maneuver myself into a corner (say, due to a bug) where I cannot continue playing, but could remedy it by going back to an earlier save? Not to mention that this is an RPG and I want to try things. Look at e.g. Avadon2: You can save anytime outside of combat, have 5 manual saveslots and an autosave.

12. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

1) Volume controls are on our to-do list. Look forward to them being added in a future update.
    2) I can work on mentioning pinch zoom in the tutorial text. Otherwise, I think its generally expected.
    3) We are in progress of designing a world map that shows the interlinks of regions (which will become more important to you as you travel the larger world) and places quest markers.
    4) There are no levels for any characters in which "nothing happens". Just checked the tables again. This one confuses me.
    6) Sorry that you dislike the auto-save style of Trese Brothers games. All of our games, including Star Traders and the upcoming Star Traders 4X use this style. If you have a bug, please contact us and we will help work it out. We have worked through many of these with users and have a great track record of getting you out.