MageLore - development blog

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by podesta, May 28, 2010.

1. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
    I'm starting a facebook development blog for my new game MageLore.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MageLore/122803264420165?ref=ts

If your a fan of the Ultima series of RPG games, its probably worth popping by for a look. They are my main inspiration.

I'm writing it after work each day and hope to get the game out by XMas this year. Still lots to do but there's enough done now to start showing it off.

I'm planning to update the blog each week with development details, plotlines, tech talks, gameplay videos and anything else I feel like posting :)

2. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Looks pretty cool

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The game itself looks pretty good, I'm waiting for it, but god, how I hate Facebook stuff.

4. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
    #4 podesta, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
    Actually, I think I agree with you Balu... If one more person sends me a Mafia Wars gift I think I'll take a gun to a belltower...

I've moved the blog to blogspot... who knows, I might even make $10 bucks from ads over the year :)

http://magelore.blogspot.com/

5. LateralusRok

LateralusRok Active Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Sales network solutions.
    Kc
    the game looks very cool!

6. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
    blog updated...

New blog entry posted...
    I'll (hopefully) be posting each Monday/Wednesday/Friday with new game videos each Friday.

please follow my blog, or else I'll be talking to myself and the men in white uniforms will find out and come for me during the night :eek:

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

the game does look pretty cool!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm following now. Wasted countless hours on the first Ultima back in the day. This definitely looks interesting.

9. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
  10. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    This looks ALOT like Tibia, which is a good thing. Looking forward to release.

11. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Another big Ultima fan back in the day... Played Ultima 2, 3, and 4 to death! I like the fact that your demo videos use a remix of the themes you'd hear when traversing the world and towns in those games... Have you gotten permission to use them in the final version? If so, that'd be great :)

I find your light, shadow, and warp effects to be quite amusing, and the fire spells look very nice too. Not everyday that someone comes up with more unique looking display tech... It took me what seemed like ages and countless revisions to devise my own custom light/shadow engine for Mineko! :eek:

Seems like you're farther along than you think, hard to believe it'd take you the rest of the year to finish. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know another RPG developer will be monitoring your progress, and will be buying a copy day one :D

12. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Looks quite interesting, I will be following the development on this.

Keep up the good work!

Munkie!

13. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    I love the looks of the combat system!

14. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
    Thanks all. Yeah I'd really like to get the music licensed for the final game. It's tricky to find out who actually holds the license now. I think it adds a great touch of nostalgia and I make no secret that the game is a homage to Ultima... though hopefully adding a lot of new ideas and customising the experience to the iphone (and ipad)...

I really loved the old line-of-sight from ultima. The first version of magelore was a direct copy of their blocky line of sight algorithm but I got a resounding "meh" when showing it to people at work so I've spent some iterations on improving it and its taken a life of its own now.

15. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
    Hey.
    Had a quick look at Mineko. Looking great. Looks you've taking a very different approach to a similar lighting problem.
    I think my tech/game systems are nearly done but I'm expecting several months of content / storyline / quests... hard to predict really...

16. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Just wanted to pop in and show my support for what you're doing. Blog is bookmarked and I really love forward to seeing this come to life. Looking great right now. :)

17. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

That would be great if you could get the music rights. Obviously Origin Systems was the initial holder, then Electronic Arts bought them, and despite disbanding the group I think they retain the rights to Ultima stuff. Maybe Richard Garriott himself has some stake or could at least be of help?

Funny that you mention the old Ultima block-based line of sight! Mineko's initial line of sight / FOV was exactly like that too: Blocks that shifted as you moved. The reaction I received here this spring with my sneak preview containing block lighting was pretty much the identical "meh" that you received :eek:

You're correct of course! We had the exact same old-school lighting scheme at the start of our projects... Funny how the same problem can be attacked in ways that provide *very* different results! With mostly indoor environments and hard corners I wanted a more spooky and claustrophobic atmosphere... Maybe not as realistic as your soft edged work, but still neat looking. Glad that you liked what you saw anyway :D

Content creation is a killer for sure, and very time consuming, something that I'm less dependent on as a roguelike offshoot. All my stuff is procedurally generated! Still plenty of work for me to do, but it's going quickly :)

Can't wait to see more updates on MageLore... good luck!

18. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
    New blog post and video. This one covers some of the enchantment system.
    It also has more footage of the line-of-sight lighting system in an enclosed environments like a cave system.

If blogs don't float your boat, here is the video link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=707bE-ajQ5Q

19. podesta

podesta Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Brisbane Australia
  20. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle