What tools are needed for development?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Aurora, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to iPhone app development (though I developed a short quiz/storybook type of thing before by myself), so can anyone tell me all the tools (hardware and software) that are needed for development? I'm not planning to develop anything complex or involving 3D graphics, since the only proper graphics program I have is Photoshop CS2.
    If an apple computer is needed then I guess the road stops right here lol~ I'm not planning to buy a new computer simply to develop an app, especially since I do not like using apple computers.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Macs are great (mostly); don't know why you wouldn't like using them. But yes, you need one. You can get a Mac mini for $600 new, or less if you get it refurb or used. Then you download XCode...it comes with the computer, but you'd probably need to update it.

--Eric

3. Elliot

Elliot Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Videogame Producer.
    London, UK
    Hi, you'll need a Mac at the very least, an Intel one with Leopard, then ADC membership if you want to run code on an iPhone/iPod touch, and a device if you don't have one already.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

HTH

Elliot.

4. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I don't have a Mac, and to me it's not worth spending almost a thousand dollars using a system I'm not used to just to develop an app. I have an iDevice of course (iPhone).
    Will app development tools be compatible with Windows systems in the future? Or is this an Apple-only thing lol.

5. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

It is highly unlikely that the tools will ever be available for windows. The iPhone OS and the Mac OS share a lot of underlying technology and porting the whole thing to Windows probably wouldn't be worth it for Apple.

(Actually I have a hard time seeing any benefits for Apple by porting it to Windows),

6. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    But actually if Apple really wanted to do it they could, as OS X is based on NeXTSTEP/OpenStep which was ported to run over Windows as an API in the last few years at NeXT before it was bought by Apple. Hence this is the reasons they got OS X up and running on Intel quickly (though they had it since day one, but Apple was still using PowerPC at that time).

But Apple has some benefits of keeping it on OS X is that they will sell more hardware to developer like our self ;-).