Rolando vs Hero of Sparta

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lordofbbq, Jan 21, 2009.

?

Rolando or Hero of Sparta?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2009.
  1. Rolando

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Hero of Sparta

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. lordofbbq

lordofbbq Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    So which one do you guys prefer, now that they've both gone to $5.99?

Also, do you think they'll go even cheaper, considering HoS's price drop made Rolando's go down too?

2. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Hero of Sparta!!

I prefer GOD OF WAR SOOOOooo much more than LOCO ROCO (although loco roco is cute)

3. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I bought them both when they were $9.99. Enjoyed them both.

Enjoyed HoS a little more, but that's mainly due to me being more of a "twitch" gamer. Still, though, I thought Rolando, all around, was a better game for the device.

And they'll eventually go down in price, as all things must eventually, but I don't think it will be for a while now. I know I stated the same thing with the original price, but I think they've got to stay at $5.99 longer to ensure the best possible returns they can get.

Then again, if they had really wanted that they would've dropped to $7.99 for a while first, so, what the hell do I know

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Rolando vs HoS....
    Well, I think it's obvious that Hero of Sparta would kick Rolando's butt in a fight... ;)
    Although they may be priced the same, they're 2 totally different games.
    I guess it depends what you are looking for. A cute puzzler/platformer like Rolando, or more an action fighting type game like HoS.

As for further price drops, it's hard to say for sure....

5. lordofbbq

Jan 14, 2009
    Alright how about this...which one lasts longer? Like how long does it take to beat each one and how good is the replay value?

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Difficult games to compare due to the genre being entirely different, but that aside, I say Rolando. It's by far the highest quality iphone game I've played yet, and the controls are obviously designed specifically for the device; mind you the joystick in HoS is well done, but stilll...

7. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    #7 RedStaR, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    I can't believe this is even a question-but seeing how it is

Hero of Sparta is way better not just for action but replay, and multiple upgradable combo weponry, not to metion the look of the game and it's menus, and it's longer than rolando.

You can save your money on rolando by just you tubing it and watching the vid, you get about the same amount of fun.

8. Frucht

Frucht Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    I have both games, but I think with Rolando you get more for your money.

9. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I don't have Hero of Sparta but I was making the same decision (Rolando vs. HoS) a couple of days ago. I was very hesitant on getting Rolando as it did not really appeal to me (trailers did nothing for me), but I decided to get it anyway because of the great reviews it was getting. I do not regret getting it at all. I do NOT think it's the best game on the iPhone, but it's a very good game, and I have been playing it a lot since I purchased it.

Assuming you meant can and not can't, I completely disagree with you. I'm not sure how you could make that statement. It's not like the game is a graphical powerhouse or anything, in fact it's the gameplay that makes the game so much fun. Again, I'm not the biggest Rolando fan, but it's definitely a fun game.

I think no matter which game you get, you'll enjoy it. They both have great reviews. I will most likely get HoS either after I finish Rolando if payback is not out yet or after I get payback once I get sick of it.

10. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    While Rolando is ok, Hero of Sparta has more going on in it and better replay value. Rolando gets boring, very very fast as you are basically doing the same thing, over and over and over.
    I am playing through HoS the third time now. It's just that good but i am yet to finish the 7th stage in Rolando, since last year.

11. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I love both, HoS is a great game, but I would say Rolando for it's charming figures and awesome artstyle.

12. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Agreed that they're two very different games, but I'd have to go with Hero of Sparta. It's the only 3D third person action/platformer that I've enjoyed so far on the platform, and it's got a lot of replay value. Graphics are outstanding (PS1/PS2 mix).

13. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    yes. the framerate issue comments turned me off but i didnt know these were the people expecting PS3/PSP level FPS on our lil iphone :D

this is NOW my favorite game ever. god it's sooo good!

14. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    What was up with the Rolando's moving faster when you tilt one way compared to the other? This seems like it would really bother me for some reason...

15. Skateboard313

Skateboard313 Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Really!? lol

commooooooon!!!! we cant even put these two in the same catagory..but hell for the forum fun lol..HOS was much better for the fact of the perfect replay value and graphics and frame rate combo that was brought to the game!..its prob the closest we'll get to a psp or ps1 quality game for a while at least...while Rolando had its fun and it is damn fun but once you've beatn it do you really feel the urge to go back and roll those lil tomatoes around lol

16. wildmatt

wildmatt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Personally I'm shocked to see so many people saying Hero Of Sparta has "replayabilty"? Really? When you finish it, the only thing you can do is play on a harder difficulty, that just makes the enemies tougher, but you get to keep your weapons, and you can upgrade the ones you have.... That's it... A new difficulty and the ability to upgrade the other weapons.

I don't see much replayability there. Also haven't finished Rolando yet, got it a couple days before price drop, oh well.

17. lordofbbq

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks for a more detailed comment. I am an action fan and I think that I would appreciate HoS more, and replay value is really big on me when it comes to buying apps.

18. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    are you seriouse?

playing the game with completly new weapons that can be upgraded totally gives you new combos and a ton of replay, and thats just the tip.

it's comments like these that remind me just how different we are.....but this just falls in the disappointment catagory

19. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    No problem. Yea if you're an action fan, then HoS definitely seems like it would appeal to you more. Let us know what you think of it after you've played it for a little.

20. wildmatt

wildmatt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    O.k. so you play it twice, sorta, but ultimately it's you just pressing a button all game and fighting the same enemies over and over, while they threw a new one here and there.

The new weapons and combos are nice, I played it about 1 and a half times, but the weapons don't even come with their own focus kills which is lame. So it's always the sames ones (depending who you kill).

The last boss isn't even the best boss... That's all I want to say, I don't want to spoil anything.

EDIT: Then again Ninja Gaiden's last boss wasn't the best either.