After all these years I still find there has nit been a amazing platformer.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Markku, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I've played alot of them but I fine that nobody has made a amazing platformer on the scale of Mario's greatness, not saying we need a copy but somthing just everyone loves... I've played some that are decent but nothing epic.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    LostWinds 1 and 2?

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is nonesense. I can list at least ten great platformers on iOS. If you are looking for Mario, play on a Nintendo product.

4. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    @squarezero

I would love to see that platformer list of yours to make sure I haven't missed anything.

@Markku

If by "amazing" you mean the emergence of a AAA scale platformer franchise along the lines of Mario and Sonic then I would have to agree with you. We do have many isolated instances of excellent platformers and a few good ports but we have yet to see the emergence of an iOS native franchise in this genre.

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Giana Sisters?

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Try Crazy Hedgy. A real iOS gem.

7. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Nostalgia glasses, all the old game seems to be way better.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    After Squarezero has posted his top 10, can this thread be closed? But seriously, iOS has so many amazing platformers. It's like a platform paradise.

9. GlenMcKnight

GlenMcKnight New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Game Designer at Other Ocean Interactive
    Oakland, CA
    I honestly don't think you can expect to find a "great" platforming game on iOS. The lack of physical input will always make them feel "off" And without accuracy of input the components that make a "great" platformer will always be frustrating.

There is also much to be said about the goggles to the past. Super Meat Boy for XBLA is heralded as one of the greatest platformers since Mario. And whats interesting is the experience is completely different. It gives you more momentum, in-air control, and speed than you ever had in a Mario game. They are working on some form of iOS version of their game so it will be interesting to see how they convert the experience.

Glen.

10. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #10 Darth Ronfar, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    The games I'd say come as close to a Mario class platformer would be:

Frogato
    Shante' risky revenge
    Soozis
    Fancy pants adv
    Lostwinds(2)
    Roboto
    Terra noctis
    Alien hominid
    Robot wants kitty
    Tale of the Japanese werewolf
    commander pixman
    Gunman clive
    And not sure if it counts but Nyx Quest and dark nebula and 2

Even still u have great ones like

League of evil/2
    Stardash
    Meganoid
    The last rocket
    Lars
    Undead ocean
    Mos speedrun
    Paper monsters
    Cordy
    Project 83313
    Grimm
    The adventures of Timmy
    Kungfu rabbit
    Storm in a teacup
    1 bit ninja
    Precepto
    Piggly adventure
    Cavorite
    Trundle
    Gears
    Max and the magic marker
    Get out of my galaxy
    Mike and milkbox
    Kale in Dinoland
    The hook series

Played all those?

Oops I forgot Aquaria

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #11 awp69, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    If you're going to say that Super Meat Boy is one of the greatest platformers since Mario, then I think you'd have to put games like League of Evil and Meganoid in the same boat. They're very good micro-platformers (as SMB is as well). Both of those games have extremely well implemented controls for an iOS platformer as well.

The aformentioned Crazy Hedgy is in a league of its own with nothing really to compare it to console-wise.

And there's dozens of good, if not great, more traditional platformers on the iOS like Pizza Boy, Miss Claire Garden, Bean's Quest and even Wawa Land. I know there's at least a half dozen others that I'm not listing.

Take a game like Project 83113. That's another game that really takes platforming to a completely different direction with swipe controls and a bullet-hell feel you don't get in other platformers. It may not be everyone's taste, but it sure as hell is one of the most innovative platformers to come out in a long time.

Anyway, all's I'm saying is that iOS has done pretty well on the platforming side of things especially when you do take into consideration the lack of a physical controller. Ravenous Game's LoE and pretty much all of the Orange Pixel platformers have amazingly precise controls.

EDIT: ^^ Oh, nice list Darth Ronfar...that has a lot of great games. Didn't even think of the Hook Worlds style games that also are innovative and were a pretty new concept in platforming at the time.

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The fact that Swordigo has not been once mentioned in this thread yet is a travesty.

How could you, Darth!?
    (I kid, I kid. :p)

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There are plenty of best platformer lists (and one already on this thread). My point was simply this: anyone looking to recreate the experience of sitting in front of their SNES, wasting away an afternoon while playing through a Super Mario Brothers or the like is going to be disappointed by the selection in the App Store. But, as heretical as it may sound, Super Mario is not the end-all, be-all of platformers. And hey, there are people who don't like Mario (the horror). Many of us have found a great selection of platformers on iOS, games that are not in trying to recreate the Mario experience.

As someone who gets a sore thumb after playing 10 minutes of Rayman Origins on the Vita (my favorite platformer on any platform), I happen to appreciate not having "real controls" on iOS. But clearly anyone who is not comfortable with touchscreen gaming is not going to really enjoy this genre on the platform.

14. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    thanks, And I still left out a bunch... But c,mon atleast 5-10 of those game are on par with a Mario game while others are different and more innovative... I dont know if I'd pick a best but some of those are really good. And I didn't even mention all the ports of sonic, mega man, earthworm Jim, Rayman,golden axe,gu star heroes,Eco the dolphin,Another world etc..

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    WHERE!?!? :eek:

/search

16. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Something everyone loves? That thing is even not exist.
    Even Mario is not gets love from everyone.
    Crazy Hedgy is the best platformer game in IOS, IMO.
    In fact I dunno why people would like super meat boy or evil league, these games feels pretty awkward to me.
    Terra Noctis and Swordigo is pretty good, in fact, I never addicted to a platformer game before Swordigo. But these two don't have a proper input as Crazy Hedgy or Paper Monsters.
    In fact, the IOS platformer game with best input scheme is Chop Chop Caveman, it's something you can never get without a multi-touch screen.
    Lost Winds is inspirational, but it's not usual platformer game that would firstly come up into our minds when we refer this genre and it's not my type.
    Super Monkey Ball is absolute console quality but it's not deep.
    Darth Ronfar also suggest Shante' risky revenge and Gunman Clive, I would say they're even not platformer games. Let alone Shantae is a bad game no one should play IMO.

17. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    For people who like Super Meat Boy, there's a game called Cheeseman. They even have Meat Boy in it (with Team Meats permission).

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Gun star heroes and mega man 2 are both very good ports of two of my favourite platformers.
    Sworrdigo is a great platformer / rpg.
    Project 83113 is an amazing and innovative entry.
    Rocketcats hook series is good enough to justify owning them all.
    Orange pixel has done some good work.
    LOE 1 & 2 are great micro platformers.
    I'm pretty happy with the iOS platformer selection.
    More or less all of the Mario games are benchmark games of the genre. More importantly they have a certain intangible quality that elevated them far above the pack in a then flooded genre. Games like Mario and developers like Miyamoto don't come along that often. I'm sure iOS will eventually have a platformer that garners that kind of attention.
    Ravenous games has a new platformer coming up. If you're a fan of the genre check out the thread in upcoming games.

19. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm going to try project 81138 or whatever it's called, plus I will see the cost of others that was mentioned and try them too. I hope I can find that one awesome platformer.

20. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yup, I'm the one who don't like Mario, there're two things I really hate in a Mario game.
    The first, once you fall from the platform down to the deep abyss, you're doomed instead of lose a health point. In fact, there is no health point in a Mario game.
    Second, there are a lot of treasures or something hide in the irregular mysterious place. Such as hind in one normal looking brick or somewhere in the air.
    Yes, you can put items somewhere diffcult to find and I'm willing to explore it, but not like this, items hide in a certain normal looking place, it's just stupid.