3 star games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Papa Deuce, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Do you, like me, think that most 3 star games come from laziness? For instance, I think that most of the time that a game has a good concept,, but only gets 3 stars, it is due to wonky controls or bugginess. In essence, laziness.

Thoughts?

2. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Yes, laziness can be a factor. But I don't think that's the only valid reason for it.
    One might be because it was the developer's first run with creating apps. They're still trying to gain first-hand experience and more skills while at least making some money to make up for the costs and time they spent on making the app. I know it's not an excuse but we should at least be more considerate.
    They might have also been pressed for time to meet a deadline so they weren't able to polish the app very much.

3. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    You need to remember that reviews are subjective by design so one persons 3 star review is another persons 4 to 5.

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    You missed the point here mate.
    The thing he is talking about are three star system games like angry birds use to extend replayability.
    Tis okay, his original post wasn't too clear on it.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I thought he was also talking about app store reviews ? As someone else said someones 3 star game is another persons 5 star type of game.

Plus any 5 star reviews i read which are just a few words i dont believe anymore as i think they're fake or they're only posted as people are trying to win a competition. A good lengthy review to me seems like its probably an honest one.

6. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    What I was getting at,is if a game has a large number of reviews, and the game is averaged out as a 3 star game, do you think it can generally be attributed to developer laziness? I do.

Sure, any given person can think it is a 1 or 5 star game.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its the app store ! Whether a game has 5000 levels or 5 levels, whether a game has stunning graphics, if a games 1 or 2 dollars or not there'll be people out there giving apps 1 or 5 star reviews !

I hardly trust app store reviews, again if its a decent writeup then i'll 'believe it', but if its a few words and they give it 5/5 stars then i start to doubt its legit.

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #8 mikeg123, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    I think that's your answer right there! :) Yeah, App Store reviews are kind of bonkers, because you can get a wild range of reviews:

"Awesome game, 1 star!"
    "I'm having a bad day, 1 star!"
    "This is a 5 star game, but until you add such and such I'm giving you 2 stars!"

And you get the idea. Problem is there is no moderation in App Store reviews, and people can give your game 1 star for absolutely no reason other than they want to. Doesn't necessarily mean a lazy developer.

EDIT: but there are cases where a game has an average of 3 stars, and it usually seems to be due to something like bad controls or crashing, and then you'll see a bunch of 1-2 star reviews stating such.