Why are females better at games vs. males?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Claridosa, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claridosa

Claridosa Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2009
    I knew this would grab the attention of just about every person on here. The point is neither male nor female is better at playing games. There just happen to be more males that play games (or who admit to playing). Hopefully the men of TA can be more accepting of females and welcome them vs. attempt to challenge every single word they say. If the men have anything to say I would greatly welcome any thoughts. ;)

2. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Thank you for clearing that up. :)

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    In answer to your question:

Females have a time peroid between cleaning the house and washing up to play games in. They get more practice.

:D

Only joking btw ;)

4. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Claridosa FTW. That's all I have to say since I'm not a sexist, and being a man this topic did catch my eye. You make a good point - men do admit to playing games a lot more readily then women, but I haven't really seen women's statements being challenged here on TA.

5. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, it's not that males are better, it's just that some people are better than other people at games, and with the majority of gamers being dudes, the odds are stacked in their favor.

That said, my girlfriend plays games, and I kick her butt at just about everything! :D Except for Soul Calibur. :(

:p

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Agreed :)!

7. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    +1 Claridosa and Jeff. Guys talk about gaming a lot while some women just don't talk about it but doesn't mean they aren't playing. I have a few female friends who are into gaming but it's not a major point of the conversation, they don't go on gaming forums, it's just something they may email to each other about or in passing. It really depends. Another friend, she is big time into games, visits the forums and is always chatting about a new Xbox, PS3, DS or idevice game etc.

If you look at the what games women like thread and the Girls of T.A. social group, I would hope males would catch up and realize women have been gaming since the beginning. Yes, men have been more vocal about it. It's getting much better now though for female gamers. :D

Of course no one can say what gender is better at any game because everyone is an individual.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's kind of a social stereotype. Guys are the slobs that play video games while drinking beer and ordering pizza. Chicks... not so much. There is a group of girls at my school though that go nuts with CoD, Halo, and nazi zombies. It's strange and fascinating at the same time :p Girls are definitely fun to play a round of Halo or Soul Calibur with, though. They add a dimension to the game.

9. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    I am proud to say i'm both female, and a hardcore gamer. Ive been gaming since the NES days! :D

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #10 The Bat Outta Hell, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    Ginababe kicked my ass in Eliminate yesterday, so what you say makes sense =(

11. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    #11 Artfoundry, Nov 30, 2009
    I actually do think guys can be better at some games and women better at others. Men are more visually/spatially oriented, whereas women are more linguistically/verbally oriented. Since hardcore games are usually more visual/3D, guys tend to do better at them and are more interested in them, while women tend to be better at and more interested in casual games which are often more about words and patterns. And then there's the competition/violence factor - men are generally more competitive and intrigued by violence then women (it's that innate desire to kill, kill, kill!). That said, ultimately it varies from person to person. I've been seeing more and more women playing games and doing programming than ever before - definitely a good thing. Wish I could get my wife more into them (she only plays the casual/puzzle/board games) - heh, I tried teaching her MagicTG and she didn't really get it nor was she interested. :( However, contrary to what I said before about competitiveness, she IS competitive - she can't stand it when I beat her at the few games we play together like Backgammon, air hockey, Boggle, etc. - she'll practically demand we play again and again until she wins. :p

12. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    #12 Theta-Omega, Nov 30, 2009
    Was about to post something like this, but Kunning basically said it.

Too many sexists in the online game world, and neither gender is better at playing video games, we just admit to playing them a lot more easily.

Some kids who have higher voices deal with similar things as well, you tend to see it happen online.

13. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    When I was in elementary school my sister had a friend sleep over, they were playing NES games all night. They woke me up the next morning to show me they were on the last level of Kid Icarus! That game was cruel difficult and 2 girls under 12 beat it, in one night. No cheat codes. A few weeks later they beat Karate Kid, Ikari Warriors... They weren't even really gamers either.

14. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Level playing field

If we have a group called the Girls of T.A., I am all for it.

Seriously though women can compete with men in a gaming forum because you throw out all the physical aspects of what makes men and women different and it becomes much more of a mental and hand/eye coordination challenge. We are all on the same playing field in a game setting (not including MMO and those without thumbs).

15. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    They do
    Girls of Toucharcade

16. SuperSlovak

SuperSlovak Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    i thought the thread title was serious. im relieved it was just a joke.

17. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    *high five* Me too! :D

18. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    (Insert Rosie the Riveter picture here)

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think it's just cause the majority of gamers are male, like it or not, there just don't seem to be as many female gamers around. They are there of course, and their numbers are growing now that casual games are becoming more widespread, but it seems to me that games have generally been catered more to the male audience simply because females showed little interest.

I wouldn't deny the presence or skill of female gamers though, any girl that can beat me at Call of Duty 4 is automatically hot :) I know a few girls who are hardcore gamers and it doesn't embarrass me when I get beat, I'm just glad they share my hobby.

Didn't the "world champion" of Guitar Hero used to be a girl? That was a couple of years back, I dunno if she still holds the throne.

20. GinaBabe

GinaBabe Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Canada b**ches!!
    Lol. Idk who has access to my acc. Well.. It explains how I beat bat lol. Maybe I play while I sleep =p