Universal Ravensword: Shadowlands - (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I'm hesitant to spend the money on this game, after Aralon.

I admired Aralon's scope, graphics, and it's world, but all the time I was playing it, I kept thinking i'd rather just play Skyrim. Aralon felt soulless and generic, despite it seeming like a great technical achievement. I just wasnt motivated to play it.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well, it's 12:35 am here and I've gotta get some sleep. Fantastic game Josh! Hopefully the issues with the camera sensitivity and detection and the realtime shadows can be sorted out soon after the AppStore lockdown is over :)

And the trolls are hard. This is a very different game from Aralon. Combat is a lot deeper than I originally thought it would be. Blocking is sooo important, and being knocked down is a huge pain also.

3. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Well you can use a blunt but not in the way you're expecting :p

4. Scope_Reflex

Scope_Reflex Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    So the App Store says that the iPod 4 isn't "yet" supported will it ever be? Someone elaborate.

5. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Dem eager iPod tough 4g owners tho

6. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Are the shadows bugged on the iPhone 5 or just ipad 4?

7. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Funny how people are so different. That is the exact opposite of how I feel :) .

I wish there was a graphics slider so I can turn down the graphics if necessary so I get best possible frame rate.

Contrasts :)

8. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Start saving. You'll probably have enough for a new device before this game is optimized.

Sad to say the iPod touch 4 is pretty much obsolete now and developers aren't looking at it as a device to build their games around.

9. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I sold my iPod touch for $50 less than I paid for it. Upgraded to the 5th gen and couldn't be happier.

10. Scope_Reflex

Scope_Reflex Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    So that's a bummer, had anyone taken a risk on a touch 4 yet, I mean did anyone try RVS on it. Mc4 works smoothly on an A4 device and it was widely said that iPod touch 4 wasn't compatible, and yet it's fine. I know this game is open world and needs more RAM, but it must work slower or even a little.

11. smj

smj Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I wish the buttons could be moved. They are way too high on the ipad and its very uncomfortable for me.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #312 JBRUU, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Nope. Doesn't work at all. Developer said only the intro sequence is playable then it crashes due to RAM issues.

The controls are my biggest (and only, save for the graphics bug) gripe. The camera is weird, the button placement should be customizable and I wish there was a seperate button for block, I'd put up with more clutter for easier to use UI. Then we could hold the attack button for a power attack or something.

Also resizing buttons and HUD opacity would be nice.

13. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    The controls do need a bit of tweaking bit nothing mayor

Looking up is really slow and like many others i wish we could move the camara in the lower corner of the screen right now is to hight, as well be able to loot with the attack button

There are a few lags here and there in my 4S especially in Aven but nothing huge, i would like as well a graphic slider to get a little more fps

Also for some big update maybe we could have another type of inventory that instead of using the "coverflow" style to view the items we could have a list, because with several items is to much swiping to look for something, as well to separe the equipments for the general items like food, potions and things like that

But overall this is a huge improvement over the first one and over aralon as well looking forward to new updates that may bring more optimizations

14. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Even the iPod Touch 5 doesn't run the game at a stable 30 FPS throughout! The game sometimes dips below 20 FPS in some instances.

15. Justinq21

Justinq21 Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Game Impressions

I've been a long time lurker here, but this game is good enough for me to break my silence on these forums. This is a copy of my review I posted on the App Store:

If you are a fan of RPGs, get this game now! This game is about as close as you can get to having an elder scrolls game on your iPad or iPhone. Unlike most games on the App Store, this is a REAL game, and it is easily worth more than its $6.99 price.

My top 3 favorite things about this game are:

1. The Graphics: very good for a large sandbox game like this. I'm playing this on an iPad mini, and it looks great. I'd say this game looks easily as good as (or better than) most late PS2 games (god of war 2, final fantasy 12 etc.).

2. The Gameplay: the controls are great for the most part, and the game is action packed. There are also many differ weapons besides Your average sword and shield.

3. The Quality: this is one of the first iOS games I have played that comes close to console quality. If the graphics were better this game would feel right at home on a PS3 or XBox.

The game is not without its faults though. There are a couple things I noticed that I hope the developers fix in the next update:

1. Camera: please make it possible to control the camera from anywhere on the right side of the screen (similar to dead trigger). Right now the camera is only controllable from the upper half if the screen which is sometimes difficult to reach.

2. Buttons: please add the option to change the size of the attack and jump buttons. Also, it would be nice to have the option to have block as its own button. Sometimes holding down the attack button to block is not fast enough.

3. Extra Quest: I realize that you guys are starting to work on your next game. However, it would be nice to receive some extra quest once in a while, just to keep the game fresh.

Even with those few minor issues, the game still deserves 5 stars. I hope I can put this much quality into my first iOS game.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I agree with most of the above points, but with full retina graphics and realtime shadows (when the bug is fixed) this is worlds away from any PS2 game and probably on par with a PS3 game just because of the incredibly good textures.

Every played MW3 or Gears 3 on an Xbox? It looks like complete crap due to the incredibly low resolution. After being spoiled with retina on my iPad, I can't stand jagged edges everywhere I look.

17. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I dont know if this was intentional but when you go into first-person view, the main hand/off hand items don't "bobble"(move around) as you walk. It would look a lot nicer if theh did bobble. I am loving this game though!!!!

18. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Anyone mind answering my previous question? Are the shadows bugged for all handsets?

19. CDR_B4kal

CDR_B4kal New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    this one really impressed me! I only bought this game because they said that Ravensword is a Skyrim "ripoff" I never played Skyrim and It would be cool if I have it on my phone :)) ***** five stars

20. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Gears of war 3 looks like complete crap? Now come on...

Might be time to put down the pipe. Lol