Favorite HBO series ever?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Torn between True Blood and The Sopranos.

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
  3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Curb Your Enthusiasm or The Life and Times of Tim.

Also R.I.P. James Gandolfini.

4. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Eastbound and Down.

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Mr. Show with Bob and David

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not just saying it due to the sad events yesterday but for me the best is the Sopranos 100%

7. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    True Blood? Really? Even at it's current quality?! It's a fun show but doesn't hold a candle to The Sopranos (RIP James Gandolfini). For me it's The Wire.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Am I the only one who actually watched all of the sopranos yet somehow found it boring, I kept expecting it to get better and it never did.

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I haven't watched enough to have an opinion, but what I did see definitely didn't impress me. It was a while back, though, so maybe it's worth it for me to give it another chance... but it's not very likely. :p

Honestly, the only HBO series I have gotten hooked on before is True Blood, so it's truly my favorite... but that's not saying much at all considering, like I said, it is the only one that I have watched enough to have a real opinion of.

That being said, these last two seasons have pissed me off to the point where I didn't even care about the premiere of the newest one this last Sunday. The show is really starting to show its stupid storytelling patterns. Frustrating, to say the least. The last few seasons, it seems to always go:

Episode 1: Pick up the cliffhanger from the last season with a devastatingly anticlimactic resolution. Repeat for all cliffhangers. Pick up from the other storylines that were started at the penultimate or final episode of last season and tie them into the new one... somewhat anticlimactically.

About 40 minutes of crap filler that nobody gives an ish about, then the last 5 or 10 minutes is all about adding a couple interesting cliffhangers for the stories being told. HOW WILL THEY GET OUT OF THIS ONE? :D

Episode 2: Resolve the cliffhangers anticlimactically for 5 - 10 minutes. 40 minutes of crap filler nobody gives an ish about. 5-10 minutes adding some more cliffhangers for the next episode to pick up from. HOW WILL THEY GET OUT OF THIS ONE? :D

Episode 3-11: Repeat Episode 2's explanation. Usually in episode 11 they start laying down story threads that will be tied into the next season. I guess that's special? It does seem to be that Episode 11 is the most satisfying aside from the inevitably massive cliffhanger from the season finale.

Episode 12: Anticlimactic resolution of last episode. 5-10 minutes of filler crap. 35-40 minutes of somewhat interesting story directions. Final minutes set up a mind-numbingly suspenseful final cliffhanger or two or three and you are like, "HOLY MOTHER FUDGING CLAM CAKES! HOW THE HELL WILL THEY GET OUT OF THIS ONE? I HATE IT! GUESS I NEED TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR TO FIND OUT!!! :D"

Yeah. I don't remember the first two seasons being quite this blatant with their narrative patterns... and season 3 was all right, if a little bit of a letdown for half of it. But season 4 and 5 were just... terrible. Just... terrible :( I was hooked in season 4, but the patterns were showing themselves... but after the atrocity that was season 5, I can't take the show seriously anymore and I have ripped it quite intensely from my "Favorite TV shows" list. It was somewhat of the odd duck since the other shows were It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Modern Family, Arrested Development, and Breaking Bad.

Even Sunny is kind of tiring to me right now. It's still hilarious, but I'm beginning to not care as much about it, if that makes sense. Breaking Bad is legitimately the only television show I actually watch when it airs, so naturally I don't have a TV subscription... well I do, but I never use it.

After my marathon rewatching of Arrested Development Seasons 1 - 3, in preparation for Season 4's premiere, I have put it right back on top of the throne and crowned it the undefeated champion of comedy television and I also remembered why it used to be my favorite TV show ever... I was beginning to stop believing! But then I rewatched it and realized... yeah, this show is pure comedic gold and there will never be anything that comes close to reaching the incredible heights that it did in a mere 3 seasons. Season 4 is holding up well so far, though!

...and I just realized I completely forgot what this topic was about. Back to HBO:

Coincidentally, after Arrested Development referenced it in an episode, I really want to try out Oz. It's the show about life in prison, right? I heard it is gritty, realistic, and a great show. I wanna try it out! :D

And of course The Wire is brought up a lot. I still haven't seen it, though... :(

Oh, last thing: my friends have been adopting a love for Game of Thrones, so I'm thinking it's time to open my copy of season one up and start firing it up. It seems like it's one of those rare gems of a show that is impossible to dislike. I mean, all across the board, everyone seems to love it and enjoy every episode so far. It's astounding to see the kind of passionate following it has. I legitimately can't think of any other show that has attained what I view as a perfect following. The Dark Knight has almost done it, but that's a movie. Toy Story has definitely... but it's ALSO a movie.

Hm... Leave it to Beaver? M*A*S*H*? South Park? The Simpsons? Jackass? Nah... not even close. Game of Thrones sounds like the next TV show I should start up, haha :p

10. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Entourage. It's like the story of my life.

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Eastbound and Down. Yup.

12. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Well, maybe it is just the fact that my wife and I have a show we can enjoy together. The Wire was awesome... And I forgot about Oz...

13. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Game of thrones and Band of brothers, definitely.