Why do so many product descriptions blow off the iPod touch?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 12, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Instead of calling it an "iOS game", it's called an "iPhone game." Instead of saying it comes with "high resolution graphics for retina displays", I often see "high resolution graphics for iPhone 4."

Why is that?

Why does the iPod touch rarely get any mention in product descriptions?

And some recent games by EA (Reckless Racing and FIFA 11) have "bugs" that prevent their retina graphics from even showing on the iPod touch 4. After this incident, that's supposedly being worked on, I've been kind of apprehensive about buying games that don't specifically mention my device.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    thats apple politics.. since the iphone is the top dog

every noticed that the offical badge "avaiable on the appstore" shows an iphone?

as for retina hickup on the ipod touch 4g.. most retina updates where done before the release of the touch4g so it depends on the way the developer checks if he has a "retina" device there or not..

3. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I think it's just a leftover from when the name of the OS was iPhone OS, and because the iPhone 4 came out earlier on in the year before iPod touch 4.

It really makes no sense to advertise toward iPhones though, because the iPod touch is the more popular product by quite a wide margin.

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Well, that kind of sucks.

Sounds like they're trying to subliminally make us iPod touch users upgrade. Lol. Bastards.

But even on new games I see "optimized for the iPhone 4 retina display."

Apple was smart in putting out the "iOS" name. They probably knew it would make it easier for people to reference all iOS devices without having to list them individually. It's really too bad so many sites still only refer to the iPhone.

Exactly. Unless a lot of developers are in on the "let's get everyone to upgrade to an iPhone" camp too. I don't want an iPhone, or any kind of phone that requires a contract. I'm happy with my cheap pay-as-you-go service. I've also been having fun using my iPod touch as a phone.

5. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Yeah I do get a bit annoyed when they only mention the iPhone.

iPod DISCRIMINATION!

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    And everyone that sees me with my iPod thinks it's an iPhone. lolololol

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    WHAT?? Pretty sure apple doesnt force devs to mention iPhone in description instead of iPod. Its dev's decision. I know its cool nowadays to just blame apple for everything one can imagine but atleast have some facts to back it up if you are making it sound like a fact.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    No not the devs.. But apple itself.. If apple talks about retina its next to an iphone4 not an ipod touch..

The developer itself can make whatever he wants if he is not using apple provided promo material (like bages, iphone images etc) else he need to stick to the guidelines and the license contract thats comes with thoose assets.

It was alot more strict in pre ios days , if you have a developer account you can read on the rules in the provided document.

And btw the sales of the iphone exceeeds thoose of the ipod touch

9. nachoslocos

nachoslocos Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    When Steve Jobs announced the change to iOS, I knew no one outside the geek world would adapt. So, devs (imo) cater to them. But, I think it shouldn't be like that. People I know, that are not geeks, with iPhones and iPods don't read descriptions or reviews. They either ask me what's cool or look at the top lists and make their choices based on ratings.

Everyone thinks I have an iPhone too. No matter what case I use. Hey man, what you need two phones for? You that rich?

10. Kalimba

Kalimba Member

Apr 3, 2009
    It's not just app developers who are confused or wish to continue confusing the consumers, it's Apple themselves. Anyone see the TV add showing off the retina display? The ad ends with language to the effect of "only on the new iPhone 4". Hmm... really? What about my iPod Touch 4G?

11. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    I read somewhere that more iphones bought than ipod touch.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Cause we cool like that. :D

13. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    #13 Photics, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    I try to mention iPod Touch along with iPhone in my app descriptions...

http://photics.com/tomatoes

I’ve been training to shoot monsters — not dress up as them. My latest iPhone / iPod Touch game reflects that sentiment. In Annoyed Tomatoes, you play as a soldier. An advanced research facility has been overrun with mutant tomatoes.​

I generally write iPhone / iPod Touch (and iPad if applicable) along with "iOS" in the appropriate articles, in order to hit as many keywords as possible.

Although, it looks like I forgot it on the app page...
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/annoyed-tomatoes/id384913426
    ...as the new iPod Touch does have retina display too.