Sales in China? Any results coming in ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Anyone registering any sales in China in the last few days?

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Zero sales so far. But I'm not on any of the lists there, so that's not terribly surprising.

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I have sales from Hong Kong sometimes for Cheese Collect.

4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Wasn't Hong Kong always open, and treated as a separate store? I have sales there, but Rogue Touch does not even show up in the China App Store yet...

5. RovioMobile

RovioMobile Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    I'm still trying to figure out what you have to do to get your game even listed in China. Apple aren't answering my questions. If anyone knows how to get listed please PM me.

We even translated Darkest Fear to Chinese arrggg

Cheers

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

RovioMobile,

My games were listed quickly. Is there a chance your game got censored and wasn't allowed on the Chinese store? Possible answer?

7. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    has the device officially launched yet? i thought it was for the end of the month. - we haven't seen any sales from China ever (in last year) :)

8. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
  9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Apparently a big reason for the tepid launch is that there are already a lot of imported iPhones in China.

Does anyone have an idea of what types of game might get censored from China's app store?

10. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

hey guys, as a developer in china, I really don't think market here will be big unless the paid method changed.
    in china now, to buy app in app store,you must use a credit card,which is not very populor online payment method here.

also, costomer base is small now

but I do hope all things will be better soon, then I can make the app with my own language:cool:

11. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Well, my results are in! Sold exactly one copy of one of the Lite version of my game, and nothing else. Gonna try to double that today! :D

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I sort of had a feeling China sales would be next to nothing. Maybe it will improve after a few months though. I went to China once, and from what I saw there, (this was back in 2001) there were a lot of very poor people that I couldn't imagine affording an iPhone, much less than being able to buy food for their families. Maybe its changed in the last 9 years...
    I would think sales in Hong Kong (which is a lot like NYC) to be much higher.

13. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I've only sold about 250 copies in Hong Kong in the last year, so nope. :rolleyes:

14. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I thought ppl in China lived on trees. They have iphone now? :rolleyes:

15. FlagellumDei

FlagellumDei Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    Nothing yet.

16. sino.app

sino.app Member

Oct 22, 2009
    As the iPhone was officially released in China on October 30th 2009, it remains to be seen whether legitimate app downloads will provide a substantial revenue stream for developers. It would be foolhardy, however, to extrapolate a long-term conclusion based on two days worth of data.

First, it is important to provide some clarification. At present, all games available in the US App Store are also available in the Chinese App Store.

Piracy is one of the primary issues at stake for developers hoping to benefit from the Chinese market. Illegal download of applications is already hurting sales in the US, and Chinese consumers are traditionally particularly averse to the idea that non-tangible objects like music and software should be paid for (especially when there is no physical media involved).

However, the App Store does have something going for it, and that is the relatively low cost of apps when compared to those on any other mobile or stationary platform. Never in history has quality software been available for such a low cost. As a result, piracy is in most cases no longer driven by actual economic barriers, and any app under $10 is within the reach of Chinese iPhone and iPod Touch owners.

In addition, the roughly 2 million grey-market (read: pre-10/30/09) iPhones being used in China at present have, without exception, been both jailbroken and unlocked. These users are naturally predisposed to partake in piracy. The non-technically proficient users often visit their original iPhone retailers in order to procure pirated apps. However, with the recent official entrance of the iPhone into China via China Unicom, future iPhone users will no longer be forced to take the often hazardous and troublesome steps of jailbreaking and unlocking their devices. These new users will be more inclined to take advantage of the convenience and security offered by the App Store.

Finally, downloadable content seems like it has the potential to both increase sales and discourage piracy, especially in markets like China. It may be the best strategy for developers eager to protect their revenue streams. ngmoco's much-ballyhooed 'Eliminate' will be serve as an excellent test-case for this model. We are eager to hear of your continued results.

Andrew

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I meant higher than China sales.

18. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I see. Then you are very much correct so far. :)

19. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    thats a bummer. Also a bummer that Verizon isn't getting the iPhone - which could have easily doubled the amount of iPhone sales... or tripled?

20. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm hoping the tablet/slate is App Store compatible. Think of all the fun we could have making stuff for a giant screen.