What is a decent CTR when advertising an iPhone game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jamvert, May 17, 2011.

1. Jamvert

Jamvert Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    I recently started advertising Tactical Warrior to try to get a bit more exposure and am wondering, what is considered a decent click through rate when advertising an iPhone game?

I mainly want to know so that I can tell if I should be satisfied with my current ad or try making a new one. Right now I am getting about .75%.

Is anyone willing to share any click through rates they have gotten in the past?

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

0.75% is out of this world compared to my own experience. (But if it's really early it is likely to come down quite quickly).

At the moment I'm running the simple logo thing on top of these forums, and obviously people don't tend to click the thing very often these days as it's been there "forever" (I consider it a branding tool more than anything else). It has an all-time CTR of 0.05% (7,690,907 impressions).

The best performing banner I've had at these forums is "The Hodapp" which managed an 0.33% CTR (133,823 impressions).

Normally most the banners I've tried here wind up around 0.07 - 0.15%.

3. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    It is still pretty early. The add has only about 2.8k impressions so far. I only payed for 50k impressions total though. Hopefully the CTR doesn't go down too much.

7,690,907 sure is a lot. I guess you don't need that high a CTR for it to be worth it at that rate.

I wonder what percent of click end in a sale. It is a shame it isn't easier to tell.

4. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Yes 7,690,907 is a lot, but we are talking 7-8 months as well (and it's not free). Banner ads are generally not efficient enough to make sense as a pure sales-channel for stuff as cheap as iPhone games.

5. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    Oh, wow. That is a lot of months. I am guessing that cost you an arm and a leg, eh?

Even if an ad could make up 50% of its cost in the sales it directly causes I don't think that would be too bad. Mainly because if they like the game there is a good chance they will tell other people they know about it at some point. I don't know if 50% is likely or not though :confused:

6. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    My experience with ads was a month long campaign with 190k views.

Our CTR was around 0.23% throughout the entire campaign, which I understand is quite respectable.

Unfortunately the high CTR didn't translate into amazing sales, so I figure people were interested by the banner and clicked it, but when they saw the game they just closed the window.

But yes, banner ads are not truly worth it imo. At the very least it will increase the visibility of your game but if you created a turd or do not have extreme confidence that your target audience will fall in love with it at first sight, then I suggest you stay away for the time being.