IAP - How much you spend?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gov, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    How much have you spent on a single IAP, and how much have you spent in total?

Been looking at some very absurd amounts for single micro-transactions, wonder if anyone hear has bought the heavy - $100+ / £70 IAP's.

I've spent maybe no more than $10 in the past year. Not a fan :)

2. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Five dollars, all on Towermadness.

3. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Hmm, maybe 100$ on assorted IAP's? Most I've ever spent is 300$ on a game iap's.

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Around like ten dollars since 2008 (though I don't know when iAP was added, so it might have been more like 2009-2010) and most of that was on O&CO.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Very minimal. I sometimes buy an IAP as a way of 'thanking' the dev, i mean Bullet Time i loved, amazing value as i played it a lot so tended to buy an IAP or two for the dev. Same for Punch Quest

Mostly i try to avoid them out of principle though

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Too much! I'm afraid to tally it all up, I got my first apple device in June this year (can't imagine how I lived without lol ) and prior to that I had never touched an iproduct and not being on Facebook I didn't see the iaps in candy crush etc.

I came from paying £40 for my console games to an App Store full of free stuff so I figured buying buckets of gems or whatever at a couple of quid was a saving, didn't take me long to realise that all these little amounts add up itdoesn't take too long to hit the £40 price tag and then what? It's never ending.

I try to stay away from titles with iaps and the last Iap I made was to unlock the full version of Reaper, but if I snag a great game for free I'll make a purchase to give my support, I loved Run In Crowd so bought the costumes. I won't buy items that are consumables any longer either.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Substantial content yes, consumables or fluff purchases no. Probably around the $100 mark too but hard to say for sure.

8. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    ^This^, pretty much verbatim, including the BTHD part.

I don't buy IAPs, but if I play a "Free" (whatever that means these days) game with enough intent (yes, I meant intent and not content), I buy a minimal+ IAP, primarily as a matter of principle.

On the flip side, I don't usually buy games with a price-tag and IAPs that could somehow effect the full enjoyment of the game (whether not buying IAP decreases or buying IAP increases how "full" the overall experience will be), again as a matter of principle. If you tell me how much you want me to pay for something, I will pay it. If you obscure the "true cost" of the item, the value drops to zero for me.

That said, more than a few of my "on principle" IAPs have gone to games that started paid, went free, and I ended up picking up for free and enjoying enough that I felt obliged to pay something for the title.

It's crazy to think about the arguments that persist around IAP. With my current position of not supporting them, I would have to quit work, live as a hermit, and do nothing other than play games 24/7/365 to even hope to finish half of the games I currently own.

It's not like there aren't non-IAP options. ;):D

DBC

9. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    $0 and I plan on keeping it that way.

10. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    The most I spent on a single IAP was 4.99 for all the ships in Phoenix HD. I've probably only spent 10-15 bucks altogether if I count up every IAP I bought over the years. I tend to avoid IAP-filled games like the plague... unless it's something REALLY good. Even then, I'll never waste money on virtual currency or power-ups.

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    £4 for the full game unlock in Magic the Gathering 2013

69p for the 2nd campaign in Highborn.

That's it. I'll never spend a single penny on consumable IAPs.

12. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I'm not a fan of IAP because of how bad it can be with some games. I don't do consumable anything. Although I've bought coin doublers before.

I've bought a few expansion and full version unlocks. I rarely buy anything IAP.

13. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    £2.99 and that was to unlock the full version from a lite game.

14. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Only 3 freemiums ever got me to buy consumables : jetpack joyride(£2.99) avengers alliance (£6.99) and pocket trains (£2.99)

15. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #15 chris1a, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    I never buy game currency of any kind, or crap like life potions, weapons, cars, clothes for your dude, and other silly things iOS game devs can get away with. I only spend money on real products. Like a proper addon for a game. Not that many years ago a game addon meant a proper expansion to the main game with new levels and story elements, and/ or a bunch of new multiplayer maps.

As for what I've spent most money on via IAP that would be plugins for Auria from various 3rd party companies. The plugs range from 10-40 bucks so far. I've probably spent around $300 total maybe. But those plugins are real products. Tools that will work and will be as useful in 10 years as they are now. Also, the same exact plugins package on the mac/PC and you would have to add an extra 0 to the price. So thank you iOS and AppStore. :)

16. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I never buy iap, regardless of the price or the game, in principle I will not buy it.

On the other hand I'm quite happy to pay £1-2-4-5-8-10 for a game I want.

My most expensive game bought was: Phantom Leader and it cost around £10, but it was worth every penny.

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Yeh, my most expensive was - Soul Caliber think it was around $10. I like paying outright for my games. Because it's your game 99.9% ... AND it HAS to have offline play, IF it required a constant internet connection (paid app, no iap) I wouldn't buy. Mind you... I did just that ONCE.. With blood Masque, but I'm into vampire stuff :)

18. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    i think i've spent $2 on iAP. it was for two more level packs in parking mania.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Several hundred Euros, mostly to unlock stuff. But I left quite an amount in Order & Chaos.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Several hundred Euros, mostly to unlock stuff. But I left quite an amount in Order & Chaos.

Interesting fact: Forbes reports that Supercell earns over $2.4m a day, the majority of that from Clash of Clans.