iPhone Display Recording for App Tutorial

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zarosh, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Zarosh

Zarosh Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Hey guys, I wanted to make a tutorial for an App. There are many tutorials around but most of them look very crappy and unprofessional :/

Do you have any suggestions on which software performs the best?
    I have googled it a bit and found there is an App for this (video recorder) but has still some bugs. Any review?

What are other options? Simulators for PC or Mac?

Get creative!

Thanks a lot

2. djskinner

djskinner Well-Known Member

3. mkpred

mkpred Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Working at Sites
    Cyber Town
    Seems like none of the ways are both easy and free.Good for making app 's trailers ( since its a necessity for a developer ) but not sure if spending so much would be worth the moolah if you make walkthroughs unless you have a huge following on your site or youtube i suppose.I tried to do this last year and the only cheap and easy was to turn my device in to prison if you know what I mean and I refuse to do that not because I am afraid to do it but because it always encourages piracy which I am highly against.Don't want to discuss that here but would like to find a simple and cheaper way to do this , not reluctant to spend the dough but I have heard there are always some issues and bugs and you know what the youtube community expects from you as far as the quality goes ..Might try getting composite cables and do something with it perhaps try recording it with a dvd recorder or something , nothing is easy.Nothing I would want myself to go through since I don't have a big following on utube so yeah.hopefully you got what you were looking for Zarosh in the links provided by djskinner.btw thanks for the links mr.DJ ;)

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

This thread discusses possibilities.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=165198

I plugged my iPad into my PC using Avermedia Game Broadcaster capture card. About $150 I think, but it works awesome. You can't do HDMI with the iDevice but you can still record at hi resolutions. The software interface is clunky but it works well.

5. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    This: https://www.reflectionapp.com/
    works really well, it's not free, it's $15 I think but worth every penny.

It works by making your mac or PC pretend to be an Apple TV and can then capture the output at 30FPS. This means that your device now has to encode airplay video, something it can do pretty quickly but not for free. Topia for example can't run at 30FPS on iPad3 over airplay, 4s, iPad2 & iPad Mini can all handle it with no problems.

The only video i've made with it and uploaded anywhere is this rather static one but it shows the quality:

6. Zarosh

Zarosh Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks guys! Very Helpful!