Apple New guideline - Possible revival of Touch Arcade app?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Aurizen, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Aurizen

Aurizen Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    With the new Apple guideline for their app store. I would very much love the idea for the team to try and remake the app by updating it with a modern look and bug fixes. If need be a kickstarter or a gofundme could be made. I hope something positive comes from this, this app is a must for all iPhone users and I hope it will make its return.

2. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    What the hell are you talking about?

3. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    #3 Aurizen, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

So the app, Touch Arcade isn't in the app store and isn't supported anymore because it violated app store guidelines. So I'm hoping the new change apple made could mean Touch Arcade could start and support it again with a new layout and bug fixes and a modern UI. In another thread it was said it would take a lot of money and time so I offered the idea of a kickstarter or a gofundme. I feel it will be worth the effort if it means the app will get improved. There isn't anything like it. The notifications when an app is available or on sale, a wishlist, reviews, threads. I hope the Admins see this or something. I find it would get a lot of traction and I can help get the word out for support if a funding page is made officially.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
  5. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
  6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I thought is was something specific in the  guidelines that prevented the app from being updated besides he financial concerns.

7. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    I think they can revise it so that it would get approved but I think from what I read it seems it could get approved as is if they pushed out an update. This is a crucial app that I'd hate to see become obsolete. Yeah there's the web version but I'm always on the mobile version and you can't beat the notifications. I'd gladly pay to see this app revived if people want to make it happen.

8. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    I agree would be nice to see this great app updated again

9. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    who do we contact? The admin?

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There's no one really to contact as we simply lack the resources to update it. It's a pretty massive rabbit hole because the app was designed with iOS 6 in mind, and to bring it up to iOS 10 standards it'd almost entirely need to be rebuilt from the ground up. Even if the App Store guidelines were a total non-issue, that'd still be prohibitively expensive. Us investing $50,000 or whatever into redoing the app only to have it be rejected would be catastrophic for the site.

Things might be different is our Patreon was a runaway success, but as it is, we're cruising along at 50% of what our goal was to continue operating as a web site without making sacrifices.

11. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    I see :( So there's no chance we'll see an app coming back?

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Crazier things have happened, but unless we see some massive boost in our Patreon or something else I have no idea where we'd get the resources to do anything with the app. The good news is, it's still on the App Store and works in iOS 10.

13. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    #13 Aurizen, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    I'm hoping it'll start again in the future. I love this app! Glad it works on iOS 10. Do you know what specific policy prohibits the app from happening?

14. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    That's pretty much it.

15. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    Does that still exist? I don't recall seeing it in the updates terms.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Oh yes it exists.

17. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    Aw dammit! :(:(:(:(:( I wish this app had a chance to have life breathed into it again.