Universal Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (byTinkerHouse)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The characters and the setting hail from the Penny Arcade Web Comic, possibly one of the most succesful web comics of all time. Since the creators of the comic collaborated with Zeboyd on the narrative of On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, you can expect similar quality and style of writing.

The two previous games are available on Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Xbox 260 and PS3, but not on iOS. They are very, VERY different from episode 3 (and made by an entirely different developer. Zeboyd picked up episode 3 after Hothead cancelled development), with full 3D graphics, a point-n-click adventure game feeling in between fights, a Player as the main character, a semi-real-time battle system remniscient of Final Fantasy's Active Time Battle, with some reflex-based button presses for defensive maneuvers and special attacks, and much less writing and dialogue.

I actually found episode 3 much more to my taste (even though I have very little love for similar RPGs, retro graphics and the whole Final Fantasy paradigm). Besides the writing, I also enjoy the combat mechanics much more in episode 3, as things can get reasonably intricate and tactically varied, once each character have 30+ abilities to choose between in battles.

Yep. Happens at random and strange intervalls, every now and then (especially just after the christmas break this year). Purchase away, as you won't be billed :)

On another note: does anyone know what the new patch added?

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    More DLC. (Wished they could be more informal to what it is though)

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep, that much I know ;) I launched the game, but saw no signs of any changes.

4. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Isn't the space between worlds where you access the previous DLC that came preloaded?

5. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Seems like the only new stuff is the "fanfiction pack" business, whatever that means. I'm pretty sure the "Lair of the Seamstress" is the Shrine that I couldn't beat - already in the game on ios release. (did anyone beat that btw?)

This game is fantastic, but I uninstalled it after being unable to beat that extra dungeon. Kind of feel like waiting for someone else to jump in first before reinstalling...
    See any fanfic in there Ayjona? :)

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Anyone have an idea as to what the new install sizes for this?

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I second this question. I didn't want to continue with this game because of it being 1 gig of space taken up. Any idea how big it is now? I'd be happy to reinstall if its under 300mb... I mean its retro graphics after all. And the audio should be super compressed.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    754MB is the new install size, just an FYI.

9. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thanks for the info! Man, that is still way too high for me to reinstall it. Oh well.

10. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Finished a couple games and couldn't pass up reinstalling and loading my old save file. Put this on an iPad and have CStW on my iPhone. Man, these games are good and fun. Now I just wish I had a week off to really lay down some good gaming time. Hoping nothing comes out to distract me from these two for a while. I really hope Zeboyd can bring more titles to iOS.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I wonder if Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 will find it's way to iOS?

12. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Unfortunately no, they said in one of the interviews way back that Penny Arcade 3 wasn't selling good on iOS ( and I think even on Vita ) so they are abandoning them in favour of PC ( and console ? ) release.

13. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
  14. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thankfully we can still get it on Steam and/or Mac App Store I think.

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

yeah... it was in my wish list, should have bought it... a shame!