Evil Dead (Official Movie App)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Ipadboy, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    #1 Ipadboy, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011

Just in time for Halloween comes word of an official Evil Dead game coming to the App Store. For those that don't know, Evil Dead is a campy 80s horror movie directed by Sam Raimi (yes, the director of the Spider-Man movies) that follows a group of college kids as they spend the weekend in a remote cabin in the Tennessee woods. They accidentally unleash demons into the world by using The Book of the Dead, and all manner of Hell breaks loose. Main character Ash (the "King of All B-Movies" Bruce Campbell) spends all night fending off his friends as they each become infected with evil spirits. Evil Dead has become a cult classic horror film in the nearly 30 years since it was released.

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    epic trailer

3. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
  4. Evil Dead + Mii avatars = fail.

5. Ipadboy

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    watch the game trailer then watch the movie trailer:

[hqyoutube]u8Bi9mGv1J8[/hqyoutube]

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Possibly, but it could be funny. Like LEGO Star Wars funny. Keep in mind that there are a lot of casual gamers out there. There are far more casual gamers then hardcore gamers in the iOS world. That doesn't automatically mean it will be bad. It might just be different. That's all.

7. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I thought that looked awesome.

8. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    Despite the graphics, I love Evil Dead so much that it will have a permanent place on my itouch forever.

9. The big problem is that it doesn't even remotely reflect the spirit of the movie. Yeah, the movie was cheesy as hell but despite the minuscule budget, cheap effects and bad acting from everyone but Campbell, Raimi still managed to inject a good amount of winking, self-aware macho horror in there that made it the classic that it is.

Turning all of that into some crap Wii-esque game with Mii avatar graphics makes it seem like it's attempting to take all of that and turn it into a mockery even of itself and wrap a cutesy, horribly misplaced bow around it. Its status as a casual game or not is irrelevant; you just don't take a cult classic movie brand like this and crap all over it for a few bucks. Hollywood already has that covered.

10. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I don't know when the last time you saw Evil Dead, but it was played straight for horror, with very little of humor that came in the sequels. Hell, I remember when it was originally released and they used a quote by Stephen King calling it the scariest movie he'd ever seen. In fact it was King who championed the movie at the time and got it a wide release.

The app trailer is VERY much in keeping with the original intent of the movie. If people only remember the one liners from 2 and 3, that's their loss.

Oh and it's still miles better looking than the awful musical they made from it.

11. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I hope this is coming out for iPad as well. This looks great but I can't stand to play iphone games in 2x mode.

12. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I actually think this looks intensely awesome. The style might actually work, just hope it's not a dual stick shooter

13. Pawprintgames_matt

Oct 28, 2010
    Cheshire
    I like the look of this, I love anything Evil Dead :p

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Millions of Mii creations are planning an attack on you right now Mindfield!

15. Yes, it was played straighter, but it still wasn't without its own few self-aware nods. It just wasn't so obvious about it as its two sequels.

This trailer may be a shot-for-shot reproduction, but doing it in the style of Wii characters utterly demolishes any credibility it might hope to attain.

I'm not worried. That many Mii avatars ought to bring the Wii's processor to a shuddering halt. :D

16. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    So true my friend, rest peacefully tonight knowing that the pixel army won't make it through your front door. :p

17. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    Truly excited about this! Anything Evil Dead is awesome in my book.

18. Ipadboy

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    i wish theyd port evil dead regeneration, hell even the crappy hail to the king psx just to be better than nothing

19. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

We'll have to disagree about this one; hopefully the gameplay will be pretty good. Given the never ending production of different versions of all the movies, the musical they made, and some of the godawful games, the Evil Dead license has been anything but sacrosanct. It does remind me of the LEGO games, and for me that's a good thing.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I have to disagree with Mindfield too. I actually think the look of the characters works really well. Given, something like this is always bound to split fans into "love it" or "hate it" camps, kinda like cel shaded Link. I don't think the developers intend to make a mockery of the franchise though, rather I think they're just really big fans and want to make something for other really big fans. And the way the game looks is just their means of expressing that. Maybe their character model building skills top out at Mii avatar level? I dunno, but I don't think they intend to cheapen the movie (or at least on purpose).

For what it's worth I know that Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert actually gave this trailer their blessing. Now, to say that they wouldn't just give their blessing to anything in exchange for bags of money is beyond my knowledge scope. But it's nice to know that two of the OG Evil Dead creators gave the thumbs up to the look of this game.