Can art style make you not buy AWESOME games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I don't care how great a game is; if it is in anime style, there is zero chance I will buy it or play it. Any other style of art in a game is fine by me.

2. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    For me, no. Im interested in these awesome 7 great games u speak of. Can you give me the titles of some?

3. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    No, I can't because as soon as I see anime, I don't bother to find out, though surely awesome games exist with anime.... I guess Final Fantasy is awseome... But I never played any of them.

4. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Yeah definitely. I dislike many art styles. I love colorful and fun art style, not dull, dark, stuff.
    I also hate those doodle style games, and any game with a notebook or paper style background..
    Even if I like the genre, that is a big no no for me.

5. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Ok. Yall have fun. l8tr

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Cant stand anime either

Love retro style looking graphics specially vector graphics

7. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    I have my stylistic preferences, and I'm more likely to turn away from games with certain art styles and more likely to investigate games with other art styles, but I don't completely write off any game by art alone.

Obviously, if the graphics cause me physical pain, I won't play the game. I have a lot of trouble dealing with console and handheld 3D -- I don't know if it's lousy frame rates, bad cameras, or what, but it gives me eyestrain and headaches. 3D realism is the worst offender, so I tend to steer clear of those games without giving them a chance.

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I usually won't buy a game I don't like the art style of, BUT I have made exceptions if there's been a huge (and long) buzz over a game in these forums. Sometimes I'm glad I did try it, sometimes I feel I should have listened to instinct instead.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Artstyle is part of the "awesome" for me, so definitely yes.
    My standards aren't too high, graphics just have to be "good enough". See e.g. the Spiderweb games like Avernum for an example.

I avoid all those "8bit retro indie ugly pixel heaps" like the plague, hype or not. I grew up when those graphics appeared and were cutting edge. And I am really glad things have improved so much.
    Why you would make a game deliberately look ugly as hell is beyond me (well, guess it's Art :p ) .

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But you just said artstyle is important ? 8 bit/pixel games look amazing, all because a game has cutting edge graphics and great sound doesnt make it a good game.

And granted all because a game has 8 bit graphics doesnt mean every retro fan will like it, again its all down to gameplay at the end of the day.

I mean i still watch some black and white films and films from the 80's, some kids might watch 'crappy' special effects from the 80's and think 'meh' and not give it another chance

As you say its art, everyone has a different view, for games as long as the game play is good i dont care too much about the art

11. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Graphics is the last think i look at in a game. It has to be really bad for me to skip a good gameplay.