Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Ah, ok, got an iPhone 4. That's why nothing is showing up.

2. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I have to agree that they should decrease the price of the pro tables a bit, especially if you've already bought the base one. Also, is anyone a little disappointed with the new tables? I mean, I'm not a pinball expert or anything, but two Elvira tables in a row? The other table might be a classic, but its in the same category as Blackhole in that they were great then, but outdated now.

3. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    It's a matter of taste i guess. I'm totaly hooked already on Big Shot. I didn't know i was so fond of the older tables until PA came out. Gorgar,Black Knight,Black Hole and now Big Shot get more playtime from me as the other tables with the exception being Taxi. As for another elvira table,it is almost halloween and so i'm not suprised they released Scared Stiff. It's one of the few tables i played for real so i'm very happy with it.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Same here, with the Elvira license i thought they were going to do a couple. The other new table Big Shot i actually really like. Its very basic but after reading the history of the machine (70's) and the features on the table i'm now really enjoying it. Again i'm loving this app as its based on real machines, many of which i've tried (pinball/retro show last month had lots of them).

Not my most favourite update but again another 2 tables adds to this great app. Looking forward to the next set

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So does anybody know if there is a major issue with the new Elvira table? Something to do with one of the ball locks not working?

6. skeerup

skeerup Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I can't even play BIG SHOT. Boots me out of the app. Rebooted several times, and I really don't want to have to delete and dowload every table everytime they release new ones.

7. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Strange with that difference in difficulty between old and modern tables from farsight. BLack knight, Big Shot,Black hole, gorgar, Taxi haver ralistic difficulty like real tables. Modern ones like bride of pinbot, scared stiff, monster bash,Creature from the black lagoon... are far to easy.
    If you play the tables on visual pinball, most of the tables are just right in difficulty. No difference between old or new ones.

8. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Seems there will be only Twilight Zone released this month. Or does anybody know, which Might be the Second One.

9. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Twilight Zone update is out!

The other table is Scared Stiff.

Since I backed the Kickstarter, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now to get the table.....

10. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Wow!!! Huge surprise. But yes, I'm a backer as well. What happens now.

11. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Heh, yeah, I'm in the same spot. I expect we're going to be sent promo codes that unlock the table at some point. Struggling not to just buy the damn table now for the instant gratification.

It would have been nice if Farsight could've sent out a message before the patch, but maybe the patch came out faster than they were expecting/prepared for. Not sure how these things work, but maybe they needed the patch to go live before Apple would generate codes for them.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Scared stiff was out previously. Just bought Twilight Zone, really good. This is a great app, 19 tables in all now!

13. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #1133 your personal robot, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    That's what they say on Facebook:
    "Log out of your Pinball Arcade account and then log back in. You should then have access to the table."

Let's try...

...hm, not working so far.

14. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I don't know what PA are thinking of, really. Pro Pinball got it right, when they decided that if you were making a machine for permanent freeplay use it had to be really hard; much harder than an arcade machine would be. But most of the modern tables on Pinball Arcade are vastly easier than the real thing. I'm not a particularly good player, and I got the wizard mode on Scared Stiff the first time I'd played the table. That's just silly. I don't want a pinball game to take several hours and require me to burn through the wizard mode several times to get a hint of the high score table.

It's annoying, really. I love this game, supported the KS, have bought every scrap of DLC apart from the ludicrously priced pro tables (I am not sure they run on my iPad 1 anyway)... but keep wishing that the games would play like real machines and that they'd fix the incessant bugs. I'd like them to get a graphic designer to sort out their menus too, but that might be pushing my luck a bit.

15. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Right, it's just a pro version upgrade for Scared Stiff.

16. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    How is that possible? How would they know which account goes to which kick starter backer?

17. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Tried again and again, now it seems to work!

18. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    This. I just bought Twilight Zone, the pro version actually, just as I’ve bought every other table in this collection. I got it the second it became available. So when I say what I’m about to say, don’t confuse me for a hater.

I just played my first game of Twilight Zone. This wasn’t my first game of this table in Pinball Arcade, mind you, this was the first time I’ve ever played this table, anywhere. I got a multiball on my first ball, and before the end of the game, I had unlocked three of the five “Standard Goals”. I had no idea what I was doing, I was just trying to keep the ball in play.

It was fun, and I’ll surely play it loads more, but after that first game, I went back to the best pinball table on iOS, the one that’s been occupying my time for the last week. I went back to Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot. [App Store] [AppShopper] [Developer’s Site]

It’s a brand new table from a bunch of pinball newbies, but it’s more fun than anything in Pinball Arcade or Zen Pinball, at least to me. After playing Rob-O-Bot for the last week, playing Pinball Arcade again felt like everything was in slow motion. It feels super floaty now, and unrealistic. Rob-O-Bot, on the other hand, it feels more natural. The ball moves quickly, and it just feels right.

And speaking of the difficulty, that’s another point in Rob-O-Bot’s favor. Like I said, I’ve been playing that table off and on for a week. On Game Center, as user “jhamdotme”, I used to have the third highest score. I’ve fallen to seventh, lately, as more people have been playing, but despite this, I’ve never seen a multiball. It’s in there, I know it’s possible. I’ve seen it in the trailer. But instead of just getting it from blind luck, on my very first ball no less, it’s something that I’m going to have to earn. I’ve completed four of the five missions several times, but I’ve never quite finished the fifth. When I do, I’ll get that multiball, presumably, and it’ll be sweet.

Twilight Zone is no doubt the better designed table, I’m not arguing this. In time, as Farsight tweaks their engine, I’ll maybe even prefer it to Rob-O-Bot. I hope that this is something that they’re working on, because with a free update it’ll instantly make all of the tables I’ve bought, on both iOS and on the PlayStation, that much better than they already are. But right now, I prefer how the ball moves in Rob-O-Bot, and that’s what makes it more fun to me.

So should you not get Twilight Zone? No, of course not. You should definitely get it, and every other table that they make, on every system that you have. But here’s my advice. If you were going to get the Pro version of Twilight Zone, maybe just get the regular version. With the $3 that you’ll save, buy yourself Rob-O-Bot, instead. You’ll have more fun with this upstart new pinball table than you will playing around with the “Pro” features, and as an added bonus, you’ll have saved yourself a penny. Win win.

PS Touch Arcade moderators, why no front page love for the best new pinball table in the App Store? In the last week, you’ve given front-page coverage to Monster Pinball HD and to a crappy year-old table from Gameprom. Rob-O-Bot is worthy. Just give it a try. You’ll like it, honest. But if you’re still not convinced, read some of the fawning praise here at Touch Arcade or over at the Pinball Arcade Fans forum. I want more tables from these guys, so please, buy their game and make them rich.

19. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Logout/login didn't work for me until I left the app and force quit in the task bar. Now I've got the table, but it doesn't give me access to Pro features, and I got bit by the table restore bug Farsight warned about. Not a big deal, but not quite as slick as they were hoping, I'm sure.

20. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Ah, the pinball arcade login email has to match the kickstarter email - I guess it was the email in that form they sent out recently. They didn't really make that clear. I have my own domain, so I make up email accounts for these various accounts. My pinball arcade login was "[email protected]" which was unique to that account.

Once I got that set up it was a nightmare getting all the tables authorized. I logged in and got Twilight Zone loaded. Then some of the other tables weren't authorized, and I never got the "do you want to restore" message, only the purchasing options. I restarted the app many times, and every time one set of tables would be left out.

What finally worked was to log out of pinball arcade, restore my tables, then log in and authorize Twilight Zone. I think I have them all local to my machine with no network connection required to play them. But I'm not 100% sure.