First App on App Store-Help

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kriio, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Budget and Finance Analyst
    NYC
    #1 Kriio, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I just released my first app; Globee. I need some help going forward. Feel free to comment on anything you like or smth that needs work. Thank you very much in advance.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=85851

1) Our Icon: since we don't have a professional artist on board, we had to rely on a simple yet catchy icon design...any ideas? (attached)

2) In the first 3 days we sold 25 games but we had not advertised everywhere, a few minutes ago we posted our first ad at touch arcade's forum. Should I pull the game from the app store, make it a freemium title, and once players reach a certain threshold...ask them to purchase the full version? Or should i leave it at 99c for now and release the lite version (which is ready)?

3) Is the video too un-educational. Let me explain, lol. We wanted to poke fun at the over the top movie/game promo vids that make it seem like every game now days is epic. Do you still understand what the game is about..interesting?

4) The idea behind Globee was to build a game that ppl of diff cultures can share. For example, an Italian would ask a South African for help in the South Africa level and vice versa. This way everyone would benefit from the cultural interchange. Is it a good idea to make this a social game? Ideas?

5) Is Kriio.com a good webiste? Are we limiting ourselves with the physical constraints of the website?

6) some software that tracks how many ppl look at the app as oppsoed to just how many ppl buy it.

Once again, thank you very much.

2. wossname

wossname Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    As for link tracking we use bit.ly for all that fun stuff.

3. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    NYC
    will def check it out thanks.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

The first thing I noticed is that your release thread didn't even have a link to the itunes page... this will immediately turn people off checking out your thread.

Add

[ appinfo = all]itunes link[ /appinfo ]

minus the spaces to your thread...

Next up is the icon... I think you should really go for something with more personality... the stripes are just too generic imo. I like the bee character, I would focus around an icon with him in it, personally. The icon doesn't really have to be telling, it just has to get people interested. Seeing a cute little bee character is definitely more alluring then stripes.

I like the trailers overall look, but I definitely don't think it portrays the game well enough... heck, i don't really have the slightest clue what the actual game is about from watching it. I also don't think poking fun of other game trailers is a good marketing strategy... imo the trailer should ultimately be about the game itself and why people should get it (after all, people are watching the video to see what the game is like, not to laugh at how ridiculous other game trailers are). If you're sarcastically saying how great your game is, then imo that conveys a lack of confidence in your own game, which customers pick up on immediately...

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents :D

5. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    NYC
    Thank you for the thorough reply. I fixed the release thread and it now includes the itunes link. As far as the icon and video, we will keep ur suggestions in mind.