Do you play MOBAs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by unnyhog, Mar 16, 2015.

1. unnyhog

unnyhog Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    UAE
    Greetings,

I do some research, and I wanted to discuss something with you.

Do you play any of existing MOBAs on mobile?
    Are they as good as PC MOBAs?

And can you think of the way how to make a perfect MOBA for touch devices?

I really appreciate you attention.

2. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I play Vainglory a lot on iPad, and it's great, but I never played any MOBA on PC/Mac (a mouse sounds horrible!)

I know Vainglory has a smaller map than traditional, but the same formula would work with a large map, as long as players are willing to put in more time (I assume).

I would imaging a MOBA on a phone-sized screen is a real challenge vs. a Mac/PC, but iPad seems to be plenty big enough (and 6 Plus isn't too bad).

3. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I also play vainglory. Heroes of order and chaos is more like LOL, vainglory is its own kind of moba it's very fun and perfect for mobile. maybe a few more maps and characters this could be the perfect moba on iOS

4. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Tried Fates Forever and hated the character style, so didn't play much.

Played Solstice Arena, but it lacked support (RIP).

Love Vainglory and I think it is better, for my play time, than LoL or Dota2. Great developers with lots of support.

Speaking of which, here is a cool article.

5. unnyhog

unnyhog Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    UAE
    There are not to many MOBAs on mobile yet, and you've named most of them.

Vainglory is really number 1 mobile MOBA for now, but personally I didn't like the controls. They are not for touch, they were just taken from PC. My finger plays the role of my mouse.

Anyway, guys, have you been thinkg about the game which you can play from any device. Like a crossplatfrom MOBA? I believe some of your friends play MOBAs exclusevely on PC. In fact you can play from your mobile with your friends on PC.

I'm just dreaming, there is no such game yet.
    Will you be interested if such game shows up?

P.s
    Thanks for the article.

6. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
  7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    "players are averaging around 75 minutes of game time a day"

Good gravy! That's a lot of time on one game! Is that believable?

Let's see...

I aim for a First Win every day, and a Third Win maybe two days a week. So I estimate about 11 wins a week. Matchmaking leads to a 50% long-term win average, so about 22 games per week. I'll say 20 minutes average play time per game (it seems shorter, really--with some matches being early surrenders--but on the other hand, you spend time in menus and queues as well). 20 x 22 games is 440 minutes.

So, if I play Vain 440 minutes per week, that averages to 63 minutes per day.

Wow! I'm not far off 75, and I'm not even that hard core about it!

8. I play, but now prefer games type Heroes Charge.

9. MrBIR (Pavel Ilyenko)

Mar 17, 2015
    You know, like most of us, I played many games and some of them were MOBA genre games. Anyway, I still prefer to play MOBA games on PC, in most cases it's LoL. I play mobile games a lot, but I prefer Clash of clans to MOBA.

The idea to create a cross-platform games is interesting, and it might become very popular. But the difference in controls between PC and other devices might affect the game balance. I think there is a huge change that one platform will always have an advantage over others.