A Dark Room - Android Port

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by cocoBavan, May 19, 2014.

1. cocoBavan

cocoBavan Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Electrician
    #1 cocoBavan, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    It is pretty scummy to be charging for an unofficial port of a popular game.

3. cocoBavan

cocoBavan Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Electrician
    I know.. that's why there is a free version with ads. But, the ads were stopping me from getting in to that immersive experience which the web game gave.

I could have put it for free without ads. But, unlike it was expected, it took way more time (around 40-50 hours) to port.

Anyway, the game was open sourced by double speak. The code was very easy to port.

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Even ads, goes against the whole open source nature of it IMO. Pretty sad from my point of view.

5. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    #5 amirrajan, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Hey everyone. It's me Amir (creator of A Dark Room iOS). This app is in no way endorsed by Michael and I, we are working on a Android release and are giving it the same polish/attention as the iOS version (it's 60% done right now).

I hope this unofficial app doesn't tarnish the brand we've worked so hard in creating. All I can really say is sorry that it's taking so long. I'll let TA know as soon as the official version is out. Till then... be patient :-(

6. cocoBavan

cocoBavan Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Electrician
    #6 cocoBavan, May 20, 2014
    Guys... sorry for hurting the ethics. I am pretty sure that when double speak releases its official version, none of these will have a stand.

Mine is not a cheap knock off. I did spend a reasonable amount of time in making it right. Please, Give it a go. I am pretty sure you all will like it. :)

Cheers.

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I remember you posting a blog being very open about the iOS version. That was a great read. I wish you the best with the android.

It isn't about time you spent... you are missing the point.

I would encourage everyone to be patient and wait for the official release :)

8. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    #8 amirrajan, May 20, 2014
    I have no doubt that you worked hard to build your version of the game. But I do feel that it's poor form to take advantage of the brand Michael and I built. That wasn't easy to do... it took 14 months of blood, sweat, and tears. Imagine how both of us feel every time we see an app with the name A Dark Room slapped on it... and then at the end of it, just hearing "hey, it's open source".

9. cocoBavan

cocoBavan Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Electrician
    "a scavenger draws close,
    hoping for an easy score."

-thats what I have become, a scavenger.
    why? a look at the top of the charts will give a solid answer.

From the downloads I got today (which is a mind-blowing 5 for free version and 0 for paid), I was preparing the source code to be sold at chupamobile.

But, I am not going to do that, which will reduce the number of clones in future. I wish doublespeak good luck towards their android release.

This thread is dead.

10. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

I really, really, REALLY want the Android version. Can't come soon enough! :)

11. cocoBavan

cocoBavan Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Electrician
    I changed the title of the game (immediately someone else took it) and added more elements like farms, plagues and a boss fight. The story is totally different from iOS version and has few extra twists too.

Google Play : A Silent Wood

App Store: A Silent Wood
    App Store: A Silent Wood - Lite