WARNING: Developer mimicking popular games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by webman2k, Dec 17, 2011.

1. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I can't believe there's no easy way to "report" a developer to Apple, but I've seen a bunch of these crop up in the last few days - all from the same developer - Boy Boys Girl Girls. This is pretty common, but these are outright infringing in a number of ways, and I believe could easily confuse the average person doing a search. Does anyone know a way to report a developer? How do these even get approved?

Infinity Blades:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infinity-blades/id487221996?mt=8

Cut The Rope: Classic:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cut-the-rope-classic/id486380518?mt=8

Fruit Ninja 2D:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fruit-ninja-2d/id486380744?mt=8

Worms 3:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worms-3/id469002078?mt=8

Minecraft Puzzle:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minecraft-puzzle/id482023814?mt=8

Forgive me if I didn't post these correctly, but I wanted to pass this along for those who might be confused.

2. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Thanks for this post...I noticed these fake games in appstore too...pay attention guys!

3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    What I can't believe is the idiots that fall for these...

Is it not obvious? They should ask themselves 3 simple questions. Who is the developer? Why have I not hear of this game coming out? and, Why is there no gameplay shots when there usually are some?

If they had read any 1 of those 3 w's then they would not have wasted 99c

I understand that it's good to warn people, but it's not really needed. If someone falls for this guys cons then that serves them right.....

4. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    That's pretty annoying. Too bad there's most likely no legal recourse.

5. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Not one of those questions would be asked by any average user.

Average people only hear of a game, search for it, and download/buy it.

what might be odd to you, as a member of an internet forum dedicated to such games, is not odd to most other people.

Devs like this guy, who are doing nothing but conning people, should be banned.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know what the person means, its like those 419 scams where people fall for an email from Dr Un Bongo offering them a share of 28 million dollars if they give their bank details.

I mean there are some dopey people here (sorry) as i've seen in the past people reply to spam posts not realising theyre fake and asking about the cheap ipods etc.

But the app store is meant to be checked by Apple so you should feel 'safe' but these still get through.

7. PluralPunk

PluralPunk Member

Dec 17, 2011
    It's funny that they have 2 apps named Moron 4 IQ Test, and Where's My Brain.

8. DarrylLP

DarrylLP Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Kent, UK
    The best thing to do when you spot these is contact the developer of the original title, make them aware their work is being stolen and they'll contact Apple. If they think it's worth it.

9. Poizone

Poizone Member

Oct 14, 2011
    not exactly on topic but since this caught my attention, i have to admit that it's pretty lame to browse the free apps and stumble upon titles with names like "angry chickens" or "penguin wings"...developers should be ashamed to take a sucsessful game and copy-paste it changing only a couple of textures and half the name:/ and now these games make me wonder even more how the hell can such titles be approved by apple?

10. Filing Cabinet

Aug 20, 2011
    #10 Filing Cabinet, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    I think when it comes to games like that Apple themselves don't decide if an app breaks copyright rules and remove it unless the original copyright holder complains. Which makes sense but I think in cases like this Apple should themselves should remove the app/game.

It's not really the same thing at all. This isn't some random email from a person youve never met offering you huge sums of money. This is more like if you went to a store bought a bottle that was called "coca colas" and it turned out to be soy sauce instead of Coke.

Also requesting name change to Dr Un Bongo

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I saw a bunch of similar games on Appshopper under variations of Zuma and Luxor yesterday. The crappy English translations are what gave it away...and also the companies (seems like these scammers like to spread their resources) not being the original.

12. negitoro

negitoro Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    I think they do to a certain extent.

However, testers are humans too. They're overworked, underpaid and generally the average ones are likely just going through a checklist.

It's difficult to assume they have a knowledge of popular games and/or whether something is close enough to be a copyright violation.

13. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #13 lord-sam, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    The thing is, I kinda want to know what Infinity Blades is like. Is it actually a game? Will it just be a splash screen? Maybe it's hints for the actual Infinity Blade game...

Tempting!

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Once I brought this topic with a game called Burger Monopoly :
    [​IMG]
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/burger-monopoly/id482503612?mt=8

Another game that the developer made is called Super Luxor (link) and the developer apparently released new apps called Restaurant Dash :

Restaurant Dash

Another new masterpiece of beauty burger series! Launched in the US App store received more than 10,000 of downloads at …
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Another new masterpiece of beauty burger series! Launched in the US App store received more than 10,000 of downloads at the first day, ranked around TOP10 and received rave reviews. Now we launch SPECIAL EDITION with openfeint support-Interact with your friends!

【Background】
    There was a legend in New York fast-food industry,who can beat all the opponents in annual Hamburg,who can get the title of Hamburg Monopoly. Linda also has her own burger restaurant in New York,but she thought she can't win by herself,so Linda had to ask Flo for help.Flo decided to use her experience to help her friend. However, There are more business challenges and more hard customers,even a covert threat.Can Linda perfectly finish these new challenges and get the title of the Hamburg Monopoly?
    【Feature】
    ★ Continuation of the classic game, run a burger restaurant with Flo
    ☆ Lovely scene make you can hardly tear yourself away from it.
    ★ Dozens of different customers, each customer will have different special characters
    ☆ Dozens of food to be used in proper proportions,challenge the limit
    ★ Rich management conception, make the burger restaurant grow in your love
    【Game play】
    You need to make the burgers and sell them all,there are all kinds of materials in the game,You have to make hamburgs based on each customer demand, only within the specified time and make the right Hamburg in order to guests to obtain the money available.You have to stretch your mind , pay less and get more,so you can acquire great success.
    This time,Linda and her sister will work together, waiting for you to help them make the burger restaurant become the largest in the city.Come on!boss!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Simulation, Strategy
    Release:Dec 18, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Maybe the title is not a clone, but they use the character of another game (with the same name). Why do Apple approve that?

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Saw these as well. As usual CAVEAT EMPTOR. ;)

It is the duty of the Copywright Holder to police this sort of thing, so aside from notifying them so they can take action, there's not much you can do.

This is an interesting aspect of the App Store ecology - no way boxed copies of Infinity Blades would make it to the shelf of Target. Or probably even Steam. Apple is probably smart in playing it neutral though.

PS> the Restaurant Dash thing I've also seen before - seems it's usually the plant from Plats vs Zombies - I've seen that one a few times now...

16. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Well the concept behind tiny wings has been copied so many times there's nothing u can really do about it.... I guess only if they copy direct material... That I'm aware of but... it's the other games that are close that actually sell...

17. Keyeszx

Keyeszx Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I think any idiot who buys a game or app with no good preview pics deserves to have their money taken. It's clearly obvious these apps are wasteful. I doubt I'll ever find out, but besides similar names what makes them copyright infringment? Look at Gameloft, they basically steal any mainstream game and make it their own. Modern Combat is extremely close to Modern warfare. NOVA is the same amount of letters as Halo. These games aren't as bad as that iLoL and some TD using actual sc2 and LoL artwork. I think the TD uses the low poly models from sc2 also or probably some fan made one for wc3. If anything those two should be taken down.

18. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    They're back with :

Jeweled Game :
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/jeweled-game/id488098407?mt=8

Amazing Defender :
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/amazing-defender/id488104326?mt=8

Zombies vs Plants :
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombies-vs-plants/id489154018?mt=8

What will they come next? If they like to go read TouchArcade it will probably Sworcery & Sword XX or Mage Gloves. Beware!!! :D

19. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
  20. Filing Cabinet

Aug 20, 2011

Zombies vs Plants

Time to revenge!!!Plants are comming!!!
    Help the zombies to defeat all the angry plants!!!

Game features:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Time to revenge!!!Plants are comming!!!
    Help the zombies to defeat all the angry plants!!!

Game features:
    - 2 new types of plants
    - New system of gameplay
    - Full retina display support
    - Game Center

Download and enjoy the new cartoon battles right now!!!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Puzzle
    Release:Dec 17, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal