Need Beta-Testers For Free iOS Promotion Service!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Tapvision, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Tapvision

Tapvision New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi Everyone!

We just went live with an awesome (If I do say so myself) free iOS promotion service. It's an easy (and automated) way for any iOS developer to get free downloads (from users that WANT their app).

We'd love to have some of you test us out and give us your feedback so we can improve and grow our service. :)

The service is called "Install Wall" and you can create an account and test it here:
    http://www.myinstallwall.com

We look forward to helping you get more downloads for your apps!

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    #2 kohjingyu, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Looks really interesting...I love the UI. Signed up!

A note though, I think it would be better if it was allowed for apps to use the SDK before they are live on the App Store. People might not want to update to include it and might want it on the first version when they first submit it.

3. Tapvision

Tapvision New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    #3 Tapvision, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for the great feedback!

We're working on adding that functionality right now -- i.e. the ability to add the SDK to apps not yet live in the App Store. It should be up and running within 48 hours.

4. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    It looks like a great idea, but will there be a catch / how will you make money?

I would love to see a version of this where we can somehow handpick at least some of the apps shown on the 'wall', as in similar apps recommended by the developer.

5. Tapvision

Tapvision New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Of the 7 or 8 apps displayed on the wall (depending on orientation) 5 are always used for member apps; the remaining spots are for advertisers to support the service.

We plan to eventually add more filtering like you're requesting.

Thanks for your interest!

6. UniqueApps

UniqueApps Member

Mar 15, 2010
    iPhone Game Developer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Looks sweet!

The services looks freaking sweet ... great design!

I just created a free account.

Looking forward to doing some tests!

7. Chaz42

Chaz42 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Michigan!
    #7 Chaz42, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    WOW this is awesome! so its a Testflight type of thing? (I dont use testflight)
    But this is inviting :D!

Edit: the further i go. i dont understand.

8. Nope. It's not like Testflight at all. It's a cross-promotion service.

It's also been tried before by the Indie Apps Alliance (www.indieappsalliance.org), but did not meet with much success.

They created a very similar system where you earn exposure for your apps by giving exposure to other apps.

The issue is that you need multiple millions of eyeballs to view the More Games tab in order to get any change in the number of downloads you receive. This is because at each step of the way, you lose 99% of the people (1% click More Games, 1% chance that your app is shown, 10% your app is clicked, 1% or less actually buys your app).

A related problem is that if you are considering using this sort of cross-promotion service, then you probably don't have many users yourself. This means that you will not be generating many views for other apps, so it will take a long time to earn enough views of your own app in order to make any difference in the number of downloads at all.

The times 5 factor is a good addition (can't recall if Indie Apps Alliance did that), but it's not enough to make up for the fact that your app starts with a small number of initial users.

There is no way for this to work and be fair unless you pay for views, which is, after all, what they are hoping you will do (and which might be the best way to use such a system).

9. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    They probably use linkshare affiliate links to earn money, which is a valid approach, if they don't ask for money from developers.

My questions to the creators are:

1. Are those apps on the wall paid apps? It says "install" but no word on the price of the app.

2. If they are paid apps, do the youser pais the app, or do I have to "gift" my app to the user?

3. What does it cost me as a developer if there is a paid service?

The idea is not bad, but I wouldn't assume a big boost in downloads.
    But more visibility is always good if it doesn't cost money.