Looking for a good Metroidvania

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheeGravedigger, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TheeGravedigger

TheeGravedigger Active Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Aside from The Deeps, which is fun, but a bit frustrating, can anyone suggest a good metroidvania game?

I'm looking for a large map to explore, one with doors that can be unlocked with the powers you get for exploring or from beating bosses.

2. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    sword of fargal

3. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Thats not a Metroidvania

4. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Anyways sadly there really aren't many Metroidvania's out at all for the iDevice. All thats out so far is The Deep and Grokion (which is pretty awesome actually) I was developing one a while back and was looking pretty good but I just got kind of bored with the constant developing and kind of abandoned my project... I may go back to it soon but not sure. But yeah Metroidvania is my favorite Game Genre and there need to be more on the App Store.

here was the original thread I made. I didn't post any screenshots of it but you would get the basic idea of what I was going for with the game before i stopped working on it

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=25249

5. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    But yeah at the moment Grokion is your best option... Unless you Jailbreak and get an GBA emulator which has some of the best Metroidvania games on any system.

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    The only things I can think of are Grokion and Phoenix Spirit. Other than The Deep, from what I hear, those games are your best bet. Why didn't Konami just port Symphony of the Night...

Either way, like nephilim said, an emulator is your best bet if you have a powerful enough device to run them at a decent framerate (I'm sure an iPod Touch 2G/iPhone 3GS should do fine), do so, and emulate Metroid Fusion, which, so far, is my absolute favorite Metroidvania game. I still havn't played too much of SOTN, but it's a fantastic game as well.

7. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Yes here are some best MetroidVanias on the GameBoy Advanced (in no particular order)

Metroid: Zero Mission
    Metroid: Fusion
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (however the explorable word is pretty small in this...)

Also be sure to get the PS1 for the iDevice and get Symphony of the Night which is one of the greatest games in history.

just download the roms put em on your iDevice through SSH and you got yourself some of the best Metroidvanias you can get all on your iDevice :D

8. TheeGravedigger

Apr 22, 2009
    Well, I've got a hacked PSP, and a modded GBA.

But yea, I rarely carry either with me.

9. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Yes but if you jailbreak you can have a PS1 emulator and a GBA emulator so you can play those games on your iDevice.

10. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Any self-respecting Metroidvania fan already beat all of those games. Well, except Fusion since that's not a Metroidvania game.

Yeah, your choice of apps is very slim, Phoenix Spirit is there but feels fairly wonky at times, Grokion is WAY too hard (if an enemy dies on the same screen as you you lose like two energy tanks and usually die) and also has wonky controls (very hard to quickly aim and fire and you cannot afford to get hit while doing that).

If you want my advice say screw it and just play Shadow Complex at home.

11. TheeGravedigger

Apr 22, 2009
    That's frustrating, I was looking for something in that vein after playing Meteoid on KOL.

12. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Sorry for the necro. I'd love to see a Metroidvania type game on the iPhone. I'm surprised that that's all there is so far. I mean - they would take quite a dollar investment to make and work properly.

I was looking at Metroid Other M and thinking that that style of game 2D/3D might actually work on iPhone.

I've always wanted to make one. If everyone buys all my games, then hopefully I'll have enough to get started on my "dream game" :)

13. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

Metroidvania is a genre we´d like to do someday, too ;)

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
  15. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dark Void Zero. Its pretty great IMO even if the controls are a little hard to get use to. Its also out on DSi (downloadable) and Steam (can use a 360 gamepad).

16. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    Isn't Gameloft working on a metroidvania type game?