Golfy Golf :: 1 v 1 Golf

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TempleRacer, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TempleRacer

TempleRacer Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010

Ahh.
    I see.
    Yes, ok. Let me explain how it is set up.

The game is grid based, so players, in their position, (if not moving), can. only be at 1, 2,3,.. up to 10 on either the x or z axis.

The gauge, I believe shows a notch signifying a jump between one and two units. Because the game is grid based, I did not want to make the gauge 1 for 1, as then the player could easily count off the gauges and know exactly how far he will go, since the movement system is locked into the grid.

That said, I tend to pay more attention to the feel, of pulling back the club, a bit "Luke Skywalker, in the Trench Run of the Death Star, where he turns of his computer tracker", if you will.

That said, I can see about adjustments for sure!
    I am not sure if the gauge is lost altogether would be helpful or a different approach to how the shot meter is gauged.

Your thoughts?

2. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    So looking at some Unity Analytics, My players are averaging (today) about 4 minutes per session and about 1&1/2 hours, of play total, but thats just today.

That has to be a good sign!

Please try the game for yourself!
    https://gamejolt.com/games/Golfy-Golf/298397

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Grist

Grist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    VP of Marketing
    Massachusetts
    TempleRacer: Regarding the dots that appear during the backswing, based on what you wrote in your last post I think it would be best to show additional dots instead of limiting the number as you've done now. I understand your reason for not having a 1:1 correspondence between dots and number of grid squares -- which would definitely make shot determination far too easy and thereby diminish the challenge in this game -- so I'm not recommending that you introduce a 1:1 relationship. By adding more dots during the backswing, as I'm recommending, you will give the player a slightly better feel for how to make their next shot in cases where the first shot either goes beyond the perimeter or falls into water. This change would make gameplay feel more "intuitive", which I believe is what a previous poster in this thread had in mind.

4. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    Right. This discussion has given me an idea on how to implement a better system. So thank you.

5. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    Ok, so I refined it to be much more clear, in terms of response time.

In going over my code, it was a bit sloppy and as such, I did quite a significant overhaul.

I will have a playable version ready on Game Jolt and Indie DB, tonight. I would hope that you can check it out. Hopefully it is better.

In the mean time, you can watch video of it here.

Thank you

[hqyoutube]C96cDPwAtPg[/hqyoutube]

6. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    #46 TempleRacer, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Game Jolt is a great site that allows indie dev exposure. As such I have posted on there, to get some exposure and some feedback and see if this is actually any good. I guess it is as I am after 24 hours the number 1 feature, on the Home Page.

SWEET!

Go check it out!
    Golfy Golf on Game Jolt

[​IMG]

7. Grist

Grist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    VP of Marketing
    Massachusetts
    TempleRacer, your new swing meter gauge is a significant UI improvement. I hope this game gets the broad attention it deserves when you publish it. The beta has been a lot of fun to play; I especially enjoy the "vs. AI" mode.

8. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010

Sweet!
    Thanks man!
    Please tell your friends!

9. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
  10. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
  11. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    In testing today, interest in the game sparked 5 hours of game play with each player averaging 6 minutes per.

Not bad!
    [​IMG]

12. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    #52 TempleRacer, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

It's actually at 1400 now with very positive responses. Please check it out!

They've even started making videos.

[hqyoutube]https://t.co/YZNxqQXWNx[/hqyoutube]

Play here from your desktop *Lite version
    link up

13. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
  14. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
  15. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
  16. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
  17. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010
    #57 TempleRacer, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    These frogs are gonna frog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Grist

Grist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    VP of Marketing
    Massachusetts
    When will you submit your game to the App Store?

I've been a TestFlight beta user and am enjoying your game. It seems highly polished at this point, so I'm wondering when you plan to submit it to the App Store?

19. TempleRacer

Oct 10, 2010

At the moment the majority of the focus is to release on Game Jolt next week. This will be a fully updated version. I am doing this as ineant to make a bit of money but also see where I need to refine it so that I can plan how to beat approach the mobile platform.