Releases...quite disappointing.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Okfineyouwin, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Am i the only one? That believes some of these releases were rushed? Unfinished? Nor tested? First of all, I've been a ipod owner for a couple of months now. I tryed plenty of games from bad to good, My expectations are set low even though i seen the potenials in these iDevices. I understand the randomly/rushed releases due to the apple itunes freeze that drags out from 23rd to 28th i believe. Causing no change in price and no approved submitted apps.

But! Was i excited? Ofcourse. Not until i noticed i wounded my pocket with sloppy apps. Well, let's take a stroll through the list that i experienced.

1 .N.O.V.A 2: I played the first one briefly, it was more than i expected. Wasn't even expecting a jump button, which i found unnecessary never used it. Multiplayer i have yet to give it a go, i read so many forums and reviews in the app store about hackers. So why bother? Anyways, downloaded NOVA 2. Went straight to the singleplayer, medium difficulty. Skip the scenes ( i was to excited to bother watching it). Graphics was good ofcourse, it's Gameloft. Controls was fitted well similar to Modern Combat 2, even the option to customize your layouts. Very pleased with the first level, so thumbs up! BUT! Multiplayer, logged in, seen that i can create/join/quick play. Hopped in a team death match, now for as much explosion this match had i was amazed. Not even a lag, players were going all out with rocket launchers/plasma launchers/nades. So i made myself at home and grabbed a rocket launcher for myself, you get 6 rockets in a pick up. Due to everyone jumping and firing, i decide to fire beneath them when they came in contact to the ground below. While 1 on 1ing this player above on a platform, we both fired like 5 rockets each at each other. Now once again i'm firing at the floor for a for sure hit, i was hit once. Ran out of ammo so my machine gun pops up, i sprayed him like no tommorrow. He now runs out of ammo pulls out dual wield pistols, now he fires at my "FEET" (yes im pretty sure he was a novice). And kills me, so now i'm like "Uhhh" sitting there dumb founded. First thing comes to mine " hmm, he's lagging" not even. To kill a player it takes about half a year, yes i tryed everything from headshots to explosives. No wonder there's a explosive marathon in each room i seem to play. Which was my downfall, i only got it because of the online play. Not much of a rushed app but i guess not for me, maybe the previous title online matches are similar to NOVA 2 (Hp wise). Either way probably the best Sci-Fi shooter period out there. Yet i deleted after the fustration, but THUMBS UP!

2. Battlefield BC 2: Wow, i never played the console version of these titles but i seen tons of crazy gameplays, tanks/destructive buildings/air strikes/ and such. Ofcourse, i didn't expect that from a iOS. But this app, even though it is dollar. Was just horrible, come on why not hold it off a bit longer so you can fix these problems? Seems more like EA were doing Treyarch a favorite by thrashing this title. Now i already knew the downfalls to this game before hand, 4 play online matches but 14 singleplayer missions which was pushing me towards it. But hey it was a dollar, So like before excited and ready for some action. Rushed in some singleplayer, normal mode, skip scenes once again. Started the training, now for graphics it was good (like i said didn't expect much, low level expectations). Ok now let's give these controls a touch, ok the aiming was awkward and i had to tap to shoot. I like the ideal of the missing moving vitual stick giving us more screen, the iron sight was only used if helded down (thumbs down! maybe cause i wasn't used to it?) Crouching icon worked fine, now the aiming, it doesnt matter what method you set your controls to you could only aim with the right side. Which was extremely difficult, trying to shoot enemys with that right side is a nightmare plus my finger felt squished in that small portion area. The lag doesn't even help, trying to aim on a enemy with a limited space and a laggy screen cause me to aim on the side of them. Oh well, off to online. So i sign up, join a match, only 2 maps? Didn't bother to test online out ( not cause of 2 maps). I pretty much predicted this app, yet it's satisfying many players right now. Which is good, but THUMBS DOWN! (And no, i'm not comparing this to Modern Combat 2)

3. Dungeon Defenders: Haven't updated to 4.2 (going to).

4. Real Racing 2: The only racing game i played on the iSO was Asphalt 5, which i enjoyed much due to it's arcade style racing. Complete that game with no time wasted, now Real Racing 2 was a thumps up right away. From graphics to gameplay, not much cars but hey it didn't bother me abit. Started my career, bought my volvo, started the first race. And wow, so many cars in a race! Not a single lag, details was nice. The hanging bumper was neat, wasn't expecting that. Now, the first race was challenging but beatable and fun, there's upgrades and such. Bought this due to online as well (online junkie), now this app is probably the best racing/simulated. I ever played, everything about it was right. Multiple controls, camera positions, online was awesome. Once again no lag, even though i lost every match. This app is a THUMB UP! Matter of fact make that 2 thumbs!

5. Aralon: Sadly to say, everytime i create a charcter it crashes! Hopefully a update will fix this common issue.

6. Shadow Guardian: Didn't care for it (has been bought though).

7. Mortal Kombat: Another one i bought just to have but was mediocre, i mean come on EA bluetooth fighting? Maybe in a update an online will come but let's start with the controls. Virtual stick is excellent, the combo buttons are in the way completely. Can't see my opponent, didn't even bother to see if it was optional to fade them out. Even if i did that, the buttons are to close as well, so i'll be mashing random combos. Decent amount of charcters, thank god for fatality support button. Trying to do a fatality with those buttons well lead up to you doing a fatality to your own device. Kept the same tournament setting from the original, more of a 3-d design than a 2-d (which i don't mind). I wouldn't perfer this over Street Fighter but it's a grab for the Mortal Kombat fans. Gonna have to say THUMBS DOWN! (not to tickle with this app, but is playable some what).

Now i know i'm missing quite more apps, but i'm being more careful due to some mistakes i already made. If you have any recommendations please feel free to post!

2. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #2 Bad Hanson, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    I think it comes down to your choices tbh, and maybe (possibly) a slight lack of research (waiting for impressions before jumping in).
    I purchased RR2 World of Goo (relented) Dungeon Defenders, Riven, Sim City Deluxe, 7th Guest, Aralon and the only one of those I am not so sure about is Aralon (which I did not hype myself into a frenzy about pre-release) all of the others I had kept an eye on the boards or otherwise knew the form of the dev's and had a good idea what to expect. I have a feeling that D.D. might be the surprise hit for me, it is different enough to stand out on page one of my ipad, time will tell. Otherwise I am still so avidly enjoying PQ2 that all of the others are just a very thick layer of icing on the top of the huge cake which I am going to consume in it's entirety. Furthermore, finally, I'm fatuously far from feeling fantigued or farctated my friend. :)

3. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    If that many good games on one day makes you feel disappointed then I'd hate to see what makes you happy..

My bad if Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption isn't on the App Store. Perhaps you work at PocketGamer?

4. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I would love to see what makes him/her happy. It would have to be truly amazing.

5. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Haven't played either titles you mentioned, nor I work with pocket gamer. I'm a pc player if anything. Maybe you should save those type of responses for pocket gamer's forums? As you can see, if you read before responding (apparently not). "Am I the only one?" not "do you disagree". Kids.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I'd be lucky if these were my only problems in life to rant in such a big manner about.

Regarding your question: no probs with the 7 games I bought on that big release day.

7. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    Well it's pretty clear that you are indeed the only one. Go back to your PC

8. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Tmonine, would like to see me happy? A match of modern combat 2? ^.^

9. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Oh I see, drive away a foe?

10. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    You have mentioned 7 apps. One didn't work and I'd assume you didn't try restarting your iPhone which generally solves any crashing issues unless it crashes for a majority of people. You bought a game that you don't even like. You gave your impressions of 4 games, two got your coveted 'thumbs up' and you are calling that quite disappointing?

And all of this is less than the price of one of your beloved PC games and has the potential to last longer. I'd put that down as a pretty decent day.

11. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Thumbs up

12. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Why does apple even have a freeze. They cant be bothered to pay overtime and give imcentive to their spp stores reviers to work from home or what? Heckn I want to work for apple and be a submissiom reviewer and i wouldnt mind working on holidays. Anyway why do they also release everything at once on thursdsys and in nz first? Apple just buffles me more thsn sony sometimes with their bonehead decisions when it comes to gaming.

13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    How bout some actual rockstar games like the psp got. Maybe hed be happy then? Or some longer ga eplay out of gameloft titles and maybe charge more? Same with ea.

14. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Restarting? Ofcourse, common cycle when successfully downloading an app (in booklet). Buy games I didn't like? I had high hopes for each individual, ofcourse majority of them weren't gonna be what I wanted (expectations low, read again). But I purchased due to screen shots quality, yet battlefield I'm pretty sure you can tell. Visuality wasn't charming, but graphics isn't everything. Gameplay was poor, I'm sure you agree. But I expect a difference between us due to post start off. The reason i added credit apps into this topic was to show how many i found successful out of several apps. Not to say thumb ups, but to bring in oblivion. It's common sense. No need for butt hurt situations, if you disagree (ofcourse) why waste time here? Move on.

15. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    #15 Sainter, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    Another one of Okfineyouwin's PC gaming buddies?

Apple doesn't decide to release all games on a thursday and in the NZ first. Developers get the option to choose when they are released, it just so happens that the popular day to do it is a Thursday, it used to be the Monday. And it isn't released in NZ first because Steve Jobs likes sheep, there is a small line on any world map or globe called the International Date Line. NZ is one of the first countries to go into Thursday, hence they get in then Australia and it is slowly released around the world. Someone didn't listen in Geography.

Let me redirect you to a game I like to call Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars -> iTunes Link

Any more questions about these bonehead decisions by Apple?

16. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Once again another mis leaded person. EA is tackle, price up? Sure why not for longer gameplay.

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Pc has actual complicated and deep games though, everything on the idevices is so simplified and casual even an infant or caveman can do it. Name a total war like game or even a euoropa universalis like game or a sins of the solae empire. All the games in those genres are simplified and galxon like which no real gamee plays. Even the wii is less casual imo because it has dawn of discovery and hard/long 2d platformees. Why do these indies just make such simple games for kids?

18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Thanks for the info im actually kinda new to idevices. And i am really enjoying gta ctw on my ipad but realize it will be the lad and only such title and for real gamers sadly thats not enough.

19. Okfineyouwin

Okfineyouwin Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Bone head? Well, I do have a skull? Pat on back for explanation, but again. I was saying in the post, why rush? Why not wait? Popular day of releases? And fails.

20. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    If you bought these games for $20 I'm sure I could understand. But you didn't. You paid as little as $0.99 for a full FPS that isn't as good as the other games you purchased for $6.99-$9.99. If it was up to the same standard they would price it at $6.99. I agree with you that it isn't a great title and I'm sure EA could do better, but you need to take the price you are paying for these games into consideration.