Answers to Common Questions or How Come I'm Not Rich Yet?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

#1 Sinecure Industries, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    I don't know if anyone has even noticed but I haven't been posting nearly as much as I used to, and every time I wander into the developer forums it seems to be the same standard topics. Maybe we should make a developer forum wiki/ FAQ to curb them? Just a thought.

Here's the list:

1. How do I make an iPhone/iPad game?
    2. How do I market my app?
    3. How do I make more sales?
    4. How or Where can I get my app reviewed?
    5. How do I do a PR?

Answers:
    1. Objective-C or an engine such as Unity or Game Salad. If you don't know what those are, drop by your local bookstore, there are tons of books on programming for the iPhone. If you want to hire a developer, there is a specific forum for that.

2. Any way you can. In your signature here, on Twitter, on Facebook, request reviews from sites, make a trailer/gameplay video, release a press release. Even making a thread and giving out promo codes (not a random, have people PM you and politely ask them to review it) is a step in the right direction. Ask yourself how you hear about apps!

3. See #2. If the response to that was bad, you either need to update/retool your game or start over wih a new game. Not ever game is a hit and not ever hit starts out that way.

4. Just about anywhere, but you have to ask. Check out www.gotoats.org for a pretty sizable list. Just because you don't hear back right away isn't a bad sign. Try to contact review sites about previewing your game, you'll get one eventually.

5. Prmac.com is cheap, but it's the quality of your review that counts. There is a ton of info out there on writing interesting copy

There. Feel free to add stuff and I'll out it in!

2. moidoka

moidoka Well-Known Member

Hi, you might want to fix the URL, it's actually www.gotoats.org.

3. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Fixed, thanks.

4. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Is there any free game makers? I know Unity has an free trial, but do you need to pay, and how much??

1. Whats the cheapest game creater
    2. What's the best to start off with, 2D or 3D game making..

5. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    would like to know this as well

6. polyfonken

polyfonken Well-Known Member

Everything is dependent on the original game idea – if it's a 2D puzzle, don't bother with 3D. In case it's a 3D exploration game, here's hoping you have a good 3D team, proper programmers and some idea for the controls that doesn't involve virtual d-pads. And if you are asking because you have no idea of the game yet, there's no reason to choose one over the other just yet, just remember that making a good-looking 3D game is much harder and requires a wider skill set than a 2D one, and usually controls in 3D games end up being harder for the average user.

7. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Cocos2D is free and open source.

8. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    6. Will I get rich off my App?

Answer

6. A majority of Apps don't make back the cost of creating them. Some people have gotten rich from their apps, just like some people get rich in the stock market or sign big contracts after getting drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft. Even with a solid app, don't expect the money to roll in - ie don't quit your day job (or stop training for the NFL).