Siegecraft TD - coming in 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ben_at_blowfishstudios, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_at_blowfishstudios

ben_at_blowfishstudios Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    #1 ben_at_blowfishstudios, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

Update! In-game recorded time lapse video showing current state of the game. This time-lapse video share feature will be available in the real game. Useful for showing off your best single player strategies, or sweetest wins in multiplayer! From within the game you can share direct to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and via email.

Some of the latest screenshots of in-game too, sorry for the blurriness! :( for some reason they came out like this out of Unity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original post

Hi All. It's finally time to bring the covers off our latest in-house game, Siegecraft TD! After all the updates we did for the original Siegecraft we realised there was a "want" for a typical tower defense game in the Siegecraft universe.

While Siegecraft TD will have core TD gaming goodness, we will also be bringing something new to the table. All while trying to make this the best looking 3D tower defense game on IOS!

I'll be posting up more screenies, information and videos over the next few months to keep you up to date with the game progression. For now here are a couple of towers and units that will be in the game, all still work-in-progress and will possibly be changed/tweaked.

Here's hoping you'll get as excited about Siegecraft TD - Lizardmen as Blowfish Studios is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    So this game is going to be a typical and traditional TD game then? With fixed path? I enjoyed the first Siegecraft due to its, in a way, originality. But I must admit, I am still a hardcore traditional TD fan. I'm excited with this one, and hope you can post more info. :)

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Wasn't the OG Siegecraft a TD game too?

Also, to the devs, will this come to Android at launch?

4. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Yes! I loved the original Siegecraft, so this should be awesome.

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    consider me very excited. :)

6. ben_at_blowfishstudios

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes the OG Siegecraft was a type of tower defense, but a lot more "actiony" and not the tower building type. Siegecraft TD is in the style of Fieldrunners.

There will be one big new feature that we are introducing to the genre, but it is still in testing so I don't want to announce it yet. Hopefully I can release details about it in the middle of January.

There will definitely be an Android version, whether or not it is a simultaneous launch is not decided yet.

We'll also be releasing our 4th major free content update to the OG Siegecraft at the same time. The Lizardmen will be invading the whole Siegecraft universe!

Keep an eye out next week for a video showing off some tech, this is aimed at getting Siegecraft TD to run well on the iPod 4 Touch! But graphics nuts need not worry, I'll show some more off for the top end devices later on too ;)

7. Split82

Split82 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Game developer at Hyperbolic Magnetism
    This is my style :) Looking forward!

8. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The graphics are looking pretty good already. I'm looking forward to some gameplay videos whenever you guys have them ready.

9. ben_at_blowfishstudios

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Most of the game functionality is complete, but there is a lot of game play balancing and tweaking to go. Also the UI needs to be done. We have made sure that the game will run on all IOS devices in some form, and this is not a simple task for a full 3D game.

Here is a video showing one of our tests on the worst known performing IOS device. The actual gameplay will not have 100 simultaneous units on screen at once, but this shows that the engine is capable of it. Each unit is individually animated as it will be in the game.

As another bonus, here is a new unit that has just been finished off - the Armor Llama! Yes these are Amazonian Lizardmen.

[​IMG]

10. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    This is looking great. Can't wait for this.

11. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    What are we going to see for the graphical bells and whistles on the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5?

12. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    This is fantastic Ben! I cannot wait to get back to the Siegecraft universe. Armored Llamas will rule the world!:)

13. ben_at_blowfishstudios

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Already we have real-time shadows for the towers, anti-aliasing, post-process bloom and a nice subtle cell shaded per-pixel shader with rim lighting for units and towers. Once it's looking a little nicer I'll throw up a video of it running on an iPhone 5. Not until mid January though, I need a holiday :)

Oh Armor Llama's could rule the world, but up against one of these??? Maybe not any time soon ;)

[​IMG]

14. Mhunt190

May 27, 2012
    USA
    We talking about the iPhone 5 only getting these effects or the 4s to?

15. ben_at_blowfishstudios

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I would think 4S would get them too, maybe missing the anti-aliasing.

16. Mhunt190

May 27, 2012
    USA
    #16 Mhunt190, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response :) hope you have a happy holiday by the way ;)

17. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Trebuchet beating an Armored Llama? That overblown slingshot doesn't stand a chance!! The llama will just piddle on it's armored risers until the thing rusts through and through!

Have a great holiday!

18. ben_at_blowfishstudios

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Well back from a terrific holiday and now raring to get back into Siegecraft TD. We started off the new year with some terrific news, Siegecraft TD was named by PGUK as one of their 20 most anticipated IOS titles of 2013! Better not let them, or you guys, down.

One work day into 2013 and the game got that much closer to closed alpha testing. There is a new feature which will require much testing, probably a good two months, and we will be looking for up to 10 testers to help out. It's still at least 2-3 weeks away from the start of the testing, and we will only want testers that love TD games and can do the hard slog through what might start off as buggy and boring game play, but the aim is to have something truly unique and fun at the end! Of course because of the way IOS testing works, any testers that get in will also get to test our other un-announced game coming much later in the year.

To make the waiting easier here is a render of the Druid tower...

[​IMG]

19. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Congrats! That's awesome news. Just sent you a PM about testing btw.

20. ben_at_blowfishstudios

Mar 22, 2010
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Sweet, you've been added to the test group! Not long to go now, I hope you all don't mind playing in the Game Center Sandbox mode as that will be required for the test phase ;) *hint, hint*

So in the list of towers we have the typical array of medieval fantasy weapons, but there are also a couple of buffing towers for increasing fire rate or damage. Here is the priestess tower, she has the Bless aura which increases damage.

[​IMG]