Anyone own a Quadcopter/Drone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Teknikal, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I have an urge to buy one I've always thought the Parrot AR looked pretty cool but it's an expensive toy and I was put off altogether when I saw a few videos of people just losing control of it and it just flying off never to be seen again.

Never really thought about it since then but I just noticed Maplins in the UK are selling drones that can use GPS to return to you on their own if you lose the signal and they at least give the look of being a serious looking piece of kit.

One I'm considering is the DJI Phantom FC40 I'm not sure if I'd buy it fly it a few times then never touch it again though. Watched a few youtube videos and was quite impressed.

Really just wondering if anyones bought a Parrot or anything and if they actually still play with it or is it lying forgotten?

2. endodoug

endodoug Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about it too.

We have a park across the street that's practically a drone test site. There's usually a horde of people watching and asking questions.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I have a new Parrot AR, Power version, got the GPS for it, modded it with a special landing kit, gear protectors, extra high-powered batteries and a bitchen suitcase specially made for it from China! So, what's up?? NEVER flown it yet! ( only had it for over 1month, but still....) also have a new Parrot Rolling Spider. Never flown it outside yet! Heard about the issues with the expensive toy flying away forever and now I'm afraid to do it! Been wanting to play with these and get experience so later I can get a more expensive (better) one. I'd rather lose less money than more if I have to! After reading up extensively, I found that first you need to always update the software to the newest version and also do a flat trim before every flight! Getting ready (brave enough) to fly the mini-drone outside! Tell ya what! If I lose it I'm gonna have a brand new never been used AR for sale with all the extras!