Noblemen: 1896 (Foursaken Media) - strategy + 3rd person cover based shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Huh? The weapon is a fictional, short range auto-cannon. Only has an effective range of about 90 meters, but is a large caliber, can pierce through units, has a large clip, and decent rate of fire. Honestly, we've had to migrate to more and more fictional weapons for balance and gameplay reasons. But, it actually fits... Noblemen are the most wealthy in this era, so they have access to all the experimental and custom weapon tech. Most regular infantry units have more historically accurate, single shot personal weaponry.

Thanks - we've been working on the shaders for quite some time getting them up to speed with most modern PBR (physically based rendering) shaders.

P.S. We'll finally be announcing the official release date in the next few weeks... so stay tuned!

2. Sgt. Steakfries

May 5, 2017

Sorry, I didn't elaborate on the massive amount of health that was in the picture. Will that be in the game? Like later in the game when you have a juggernaught type of armor?

Because previously, all we see of the health is low stuff like 100,125,150; this one is around the 500s!

So, that's what I'm talking about; the big'ol health pool.

3. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yeah, thats a higher level armor. Armor gives different benefits, from real armor protection (as in, phsyically modeled armor like helmets and armor plating), to extra HP, health regen, etc.

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Here's the first of some short unedited gameplay demos we'll be posting leading up to launch. This one features a heavy armor set with shield, which sort of acts like mobile cover.

5. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Its so freaking good, one of their best.... I say that every game, but it's got so much going on that raises it to top.... look forward to all getting in the game.

FORWARD.. MARCH!

6. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Holy Shit!

I'm buying this game. Bring it to Nintendo switch, add co-op someway and I'll buy again. Bring it to PC and I'll buy it for my cousin. Everywhere you bring, I buy.

Good luck, very ambitious. I'll have my eyes on this one until then.

Bluetooth/MIFI Controller support for iOS?

7. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Wow. Still looks amazing. Release can't come soon enough

8. Aurelien.L

Aurelien.L Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2014
    31 August??

9. SarahTT

SarahTT New Member

Jul 17, 2017
    New Mexico
    this looks awesome

10. RunnyBagel

RunnyBagel Member

Jun 30, 2017
    The release date is shown at the end of the video. I guess we will have to wait awhile yet lol

11. Jus

Jus Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Student
    Sherman oaks, Ca
    video game

Hi Foursaken Media,
    I created this account just now for this tread to tell you that i really appreciate all the effort you are doing on your new game.. which i just found out today.. and all your past games. Nobody has delivered the time and patience to make full 3-D games on mobile, Especially with as many seamlessly blended in elements coming from Just Four brothers! I do have to ask if game development is hard for you and in general? since i do not know much about it! I also have a good idea for a game if you would care to listen.
    p.s bought most of your games already! Take care

12. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    The video is excellent, as well as the graphics it does seem like the AI is making an attempt to flank you to begin with when you engage with the one squad at around 40 seconds in (although they do seem to derp out a little taking cover where you have a clear line of sight to them at about 1:00) looks great!

13. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#473 Foursaken_Media, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Thanks for the support!

Development can definitely be challenging... lots of moving pieces, lots of tedious stuff that you might not expect, and just knowing how everything fits together to make a great game can be a challenge in and of itself - the devil is definitely in the details!

As for game ideas, we have so many ourselves that we still have to get done! :p So we don't really entertain the idea of making someone else's idea... But we love hearing fan ideas none-the-less, just for fun. Email us at [email protected].

:) Yep that is indeed an actual flank maneuver... we have some pretty in depth AI routines, which does indeed include trying to flank certain targets, etc.

The AI operates on short intervals of time, so it is possible to catch them off guard at certain times. We do this to allow the player to have a short window to react to enemy movements and give them a chance to flank them or pick them off, for ex.

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #474 JCho133, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    We've made it boys ✊#

Love the use of the shield here

15. Jus

Jus Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Student
    Sherman oaks, Ca
    video game

I guess development is harder then i thought, nevertheless that's what makes it fun. Who knows, i might just become one and make my own games###

16. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #476 Saucepolicy, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Creating -good- video games is one of the hardest creative endeavors, with one of the the harshest, least empathetic fan bases. As long as you go into it realizing that your most likely first game will be stillborn or mediocre, and you'll probably never be ever able to quit your day job to make a living on games, the journey can still be amazing and personally rewarding.

People who get into games thinking other game designers are dumb to have made the mistakes they did, or thinking it's their path to fame, will undoubtedly flame out spectacularly. The industry is littered with their corpses. ;)

Also, and I don't mean to pick on you because you are by no means alone: EVERYONE has an idea for a video game. But there's a big difference between most people's pitches - "hey, you should make a game where you're an underwater detective and have to solve the mystery of who killed the kraken" - and an actual game design pitch. For twenty years, my design team and I wrote between 3-5 game pitches a week for publishers just to keep our studio teams working. We landed about 60% of them, but you have to be very comfortable "killing your babies" when a game design just isn't working.

If you have an idea, try to make it a reality yourself. I don't know of a game developer who is short of ideas for other games, it's always time and resources that are the bottleneck.

Most studios won't accept game pitches, because it puts them in a legal grey area and it's safer to refuse them. However, if you insist, you should read up on how to do it right:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/258462/You_need_a_good_pitch_and_heres_why.php
    http://www.gamesradar.com/how-pitch-your-game-publishers/
    http://www.maximumgames.com/press/pitching-video-game-publisher-inside-scoop-maximum-games-jon-manahan/
    https://www.filamentgames.com/blog/writing-game-design-document-your-team-can-actually-use
    http://makeitbigingames.com/2007/09/how-to-pitch-your-game/

17. Jus

Jus Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Student
    Sherman oaks, Ca
    @Sausepolicy I realize creating games is one of the hardest things to do and this might.be a bad path to follow on, however i almost know nothing about game development out of basic terminology and i'm not seriously trying to deliver a game. i just want to experience first hand what a developer gous through since most people in the app store or/ and others complain about them like it's easy to fix games.

18. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Sounds good - yes up until the point they helpfully line up to get shot you could see you were in trouble as you had advanced too far and they had maneuvered round behind your shield to shoot you so looks like the AI is pretty good - fair enough with the intervals of AI - ive played enough games with hard AI to know it can take you apart if a level of "fairness" isn't added om - good to know!

Does the AI advance as the experience of the troops advance? It would be great if you could see a difference between battling experienced troops vs "grunts" from an AI point of view

19. Jus

Jus Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Student
    Sherman oaks, Ca
    Ouestions?!?

I know the game is based off of some mechanics from H&C2 and war tortoise but i do have some questions:
    1. Does the game Feature different locations based upon what sector you're in?!?
    2. In one post, i think it is mentioned that food, temperature and actions all determine the course of if your regiments will mutiny or not, will this affect your characters leadership stats if another battalion is commanded?
    4. Since this game is based on war: Does the campaign have sections in it where a certain kind of battalion is critical to that mission?
    Finally, How balanced are the ememy AI in terms or your own troop development.
    Sorry the the long post:eek:

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Actually, its not really based off of HC2/war tortoise at all... there are some natural similarities (combat with lots of AI units & of course being an FM game will get some similar feelings), but nothing is explicitly based off of any prior game :p

1. It does have a variety of different battlefields that correspond to the map tile you're fighting on... forests, beaches, cities, etc... there are some minor variations like winter, and some weather scenarios. I believe there are around 10 battlefields in all.

2. Not sure where you got that from :p There aren't any hardcore simulation mechanics like food, temp, or mutinies. However, each army has a generic supply resource, which is used up when moving, resting, or attacking. You need to resupply armies in order to keep them operational (they become very vulnerable and cannot move when out of supply) - stronger armies may take several battles to whittle down their supplies, and then they become easier to destroy for example... so there is an aspect of attrition involved.

In battle, there is a general morale value for each side - as armies take losses, their morale drops. The lower their morale, the more damage they take, and the more "scared" they are to come out of cover (allowing you a better chance to move up and obliterate enemies) - in gameplay terms they don't pop out to shoot as often :p Some weapons like sniper rifles also deal increased morale damage per hit, and different scenarios alter the morale of both sides (defending in a forest gives morale defense, attacking at night gives morale offense, "digging in" on a tile for a few terms gives a morale defense bonus, etc - so in some instances you can still pull out a win despite having an inferior army.

3. Combat is more about a per battle basis, then a per map basis. But yes, there are army types that are better against some, than others... But because you don't unlock units in a linear fashion, there are never any hard requirements to win a map. A lot of the game is "making do with what you have", in a sense that armies are constantly changing throughout battle do to casualties, artillery, etc... so for ex sometimes you may find yourself fighting in easy battles - other times you can find yourself fighting in near impossible odds... but there is always a chance to win or lose!

Another key is that armies are actually randomized... you choose which army type to build, but the units in that army are random, based on the army type (artillery army for ex recruits from available artillery)... in the context of the world, it makes sense - this is a world that has been devoured by Plague, and you fight with whatever men are available to you. This means that you don't just choose the highest level units you have, but will have to fight and experience battle with all sorts of different units, from lowly militia, to heavily armored elites.

4. The enemy generally gets access to new units at a similar pace the player does. The #1 factor in any battle is always how well the player uses his Nobleman, though. I've had some battles for example where it was an entire army against just my hero, and I pulled out a win... it won't happen often, but it CAN happen, and its pretty cool when it does. In general, battles are highly situational though.