Game Center adoption is very low, what's yours?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kafu, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Hi, I would like to share a statistics with you and understand if it's normal: in our game (Tapsteroids, http://itunes.apple.com/app/id453097220 ) Game Center is used only by 14% of players. Of ~30.000 active users, only ~5.000 have had a connection with Game Center. I found this number very low. Do you have the same percentage? Have you data about OpenFeint?

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #2 Blackharon, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is our breakdown for Go Native!. The numbers are slightly skewed because we do not allow the free version players to attach their guest account to a game center account, but if you remove the free players in our game you'll see we're at about 25% Game Center players.

Edit to add numbers:

53010 total player profiles.
    12659 guest profiles.
    5473 Game Center profiles.
    29479 free version players.

So 5473/(53010-29479)= 23.26%ish

3. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    If you look at a game like Jetpack, you have a half a million users on Game Center so what does that tell you?

In my Newton's Apples game, we have around 100 users on GC which pales in comparison to many games...

4. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Thank you for the full details! In other mailing lists, others have confirmed ~20% of usage. It's very low considering that Game Center is integrated into iOS. Would be very interesting to have numbers about OpenFeint, as it don't requires any subscription to be activated on a single device.

It seems that Game Center is not a so critical feature for players (excluded hard-core and reviewers :) ).

It suggests me that JetPack have around 2M copies out of there ;). BTW, what's your Game Center adoption rate?