Gear Jack Black Hole

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Hey all,
    Gear Jack Black Hole should be submitted in a few weeks - its the follow up to Gear Jack, which was a twitchy auto runner developed by Piwot Games. The new one is an endless runner (f2p) but its pretty cool!

Attached Files:

2. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    oh yes, this looks like it could be my type of game, can`t wait to play it :)

3. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Same here, excited to try this game. I need something new for a runner game, not just the one which collecting coins missions only :D lol

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    This will be out next Thursday, with any luck :)

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Here are some codes if you'd like to try it out early before it arrives on Thursday.

7LRAMWJNL73E
    ETWF6MENWRN7
    FMLRYK7HM4KT
    9FFYRYNEF4HA
    KLP4MRNRJM7X
    E96EPANPAFLY
    6LMTN93TNP6P

6. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    6LMTN93TNP6P thanks a lot Josh :)

7. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I took 9FFYRYNEF4HA. Thanks.

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Taken ETWF6MENWRN7 which was the last one, thank you

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Looking forward to people's imps. Seems like a cool endless runner ;)

10. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    It'll be out as free game on Thursday, we only need more patient :)

11. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    For me as an endless runner fan I absolutely love this one. I'll post some more impressions once the game is out.
    But the prices for upgrades seem way too expensive! I'm getting an average of 200 gears per run, there are 8 upgradable items and the first upgrade already costs 1500 (the second 3000).

I'm sure I had over 4000 gears and I bought an upgrade for 1500. Now I only have 1200 gears left and I haven't bought anything else. That's weird

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    ok I think we have time to tweak it a bit :)

13. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Just a short impression (keep in mind, I'm no Pro in the field of endless runners - I was mainly drawn to this by the CrescentMoon-flair):

The production values are high. Graphics are of great quality (I really liked the superb parallax effects in the background). The soundtrack is of equally great quality, driving and with a nice retro-feel to it. Although, until now I only came across one tune; don't know, wether/when this might become old/annoying.
    Concerning the gameplay, I don't want to give away too much; suffice to say this: tried and trusted endless-runner controls with one or two new twists to it. The double jump feels a little bit clumsy, a little tweeking might be necessary in order to ease its execution (seems you can only pull it off by jumping twice in quick succession, not quite what the average gamer might be used to).
    Also, it took me quite some time to find the menu. If I observed correctly, the only way to acces the main menu (which offers access to many a thing interesting and useful) is by means of a little green arrow in the corner of the screen, only visible after dying and before starting another run. A more prominent access to the main menu seems essential.

14. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I love how many ways there are to die :)

It really keeps the game feeling fresh. One thing I usually pick up in these F2P endless runners is a coin doubler. I really wish this game had one...

15. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I had 2700 gears and bought two upgrades each 1500gears and after that I still had my 2700gears. So I closed the app, started it again, bought another upgrade for 1500 and my gears went from 2700 to 200, so there's definitely something wrong.

16. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    #16 JoshCM, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    thanks - we're looking into that....

Update: Apparently that's already fixed in the latest version that will be submitted today.

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    hmm gear doubler... not a bad idea. :)

18. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    As I said, enjoying the game, however not digging having to stare at the countdown timer asking me if I want to spend a token and continue. Also don't like being taken to a screen asking me if I want to watch a video of another game. With endless runners, jumping straight back into the action is a big deal.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've been waiting for imps too but looks like we're outta luck.

SoS is pretty helpful and did his part, but it seems the promo codes just got lost. :D

20. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Does anybody know if cloud save is planned?

Regarding game impressions, it's an endless runner with a HUGE variety of obstacles and dangers. There are only three buttons (jump, tuck/roll, and slow) which keeps everything feeling pretty intuitive (no struggling with the interface). It's hard, though, and I rarely last more than a minute or so. By far the most dangerous thing I've encountered is low ceilings, which is a bit frustrating because it's by far the most common obstacle.