Thoughs on iOS 8.3 breaking iFunbox, iExploler, etc

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chaos_envoys, Apr 21, 2015.

1. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    So i just learned that iOS 8.3 breaks those file accessing progam that I frequently use to backup my game savedata to my laptop.. This just ruined iOS ease of access of game savedata.. This ease to backup and accessing game savedata is why I like iOS more than android, where we have to root to access game savedata.. Now with this removed, I'm considering moving away from iOS...... :(

2. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    You're not the only one considering a switch to Android. From the emulators to various tweaks & game streaming etc. but I here there is a work around in progress right now regarding ifunbox

3. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    If there is a way to access it again without jailbreaking, i'll stick to ios... ;)

4. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    There is? Good to know and keep us posted.

5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    For a variety of reasons I switched from Android tablets to an iPad almost 2 years ago. In general I think Apple does a better tablet but the lack of access to files is frustrating.

Save data on Android is actually easier to access and extra storage is an SD card away. It would be next to nothing for Apple to expose access to files or to put in a micro-SD card reader but they are just set on being a closed system.

Which would be fine if there was an easy way to back-up your game or app data. Why isn't there an easy way to do it? Backing up to the iCloud means a full restore if I want something back. So far I have not tried to re-install an app from a computer back-up to do it.

These 3rd party apps like iFunBox are only necessary because of needless obfuscation on the part of Apple.

6. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Workarounds like this wouldn't be necessary if developers coded their games correctly. iTunes document access, iCloud data syncing, Game Center profile management - Apple provides easy ways for developers to enable these features.

I don't blame Apple for patching file system access - it always seemed a little strange that these apps could do this stuff in the first place. I blame game developers for making us jump through these hoops to back up our saves.

One thing I do think Apple should provide: a way to manually force an app to sync its Documents folder to iCloud. It isn't particularly Apple-like, so I don't see it coming any time soon, but it would be nice to have.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #7 drelbs, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    There is, but it sucks.

1) Backup your device
    2) Use something to extract game data from the backup

Optional:
    3) Change files and put them back in the backup
    4) Restore backup to device

Or you can wait for the app to get updated with the documents flag.

I'm too heavily invested in iOS to jump ship - but this may cause me to jailbreak. (Previously I've jailbroken exactly one device - an iPhone 3GS so I could unlock it for overseas usage.)

iTunes document access sucks terribly if you need to work with folders. I've got music apps where I manage patches/samples/projects and they're not just single files sitting in the documents folder. :(

iCloud has proven to be unreliable for me.

Best a developer can do IMHO is provide dropbox functionality. I have many music (and several non-music) apps that do this, and it's fantastic.

Saving individual app data has been a problem since day one. Apple has not provided a decent solution to it. Delete an app? Oops - there went all your data. Unless you've saved it yourself somehow, or can extract it from a backup. There needs to be a decent way to do this - and document folder access is not it. There needs to be an easy "Apple Way" to save ONE app's data somehow. I'm sure they could do it if they cared to. iCloud/GameCenter covers this a bit, but creates problems across multiple devices, and I've run into iCloud sync problems causing loss of data.

8. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Totally agree with kmacleod, Developers should implement every feature given to them. iCloud uploading of savegame data, MFi support & Game Center integration being the top 3!

9. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Did Apple removed the data sharing tab (or however it is/was called) from iTunes, too?

10. CrazedJava

Jan 29, 2015
    Easier said than done.

Only iOS devices are so backwards that they don't have a native interface for copying files. Every other OS does this. Windows, Android, any flavor of Unix, and OSX.

Every feature you mention costs $$$ to implement in terms of developer effort, testing, release management, etc. Combine that with the fact that your iOS audience wants all games to NOT be F2P, but only cost 99 cents, and be upgraded for perpetuity and I can understand developers not jumping on every feature available.

If iOS were just a tad more open it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not saying various developers don't sometimes take stupid shortcuts or skimp on things they really should have implemented. What I am saying is don't blame developers for the fact that iOS has a needlessly obtuse memory management scheme that is also needlessly inaccessible to the standard user without some other tool or software to access it.

11. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I made my mind.. I'll wait until there is a workaround, and if there isn't any until the release of ios 9 or something, I'll switch to android.. It's a pain to leave many of my games behind, but ease of file access is the most important thing for me.. Or i just jailbreak... Yeah, we'll see..

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sorry but why oh why instantly update to ios 8.3 ? There's no stunning feature in ios 8.3. If you're worried about security and that's why people upgraded then don't go android !

When ios 8.4 comes out or 9.0 just wait a few days or a week to see what people say about it. Everytime a new system comes out it often breaks certain games. Don't mean to sound like 'told ya so' at all but why the huge rush to upgrade !?!?

13. CrazedJava

Jan 29, 2015
    Beats me. I'm running 8.1 and no problems at all. The last two updates have introduced problems I am in no rush to adopt.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You just answered it right there.

It's my phone and security fixes trump my ability to do other things on the device.

15. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I'd say the ability to not enter a password for downloading free apps is a major plus in my book. It sucks having to do that every single time I want to check something out.

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It was great when you no longer had to type in your password to download updates! :eek:

17. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Anyone knows site like toucharcade but for android games?

18. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    #18 SwipeNova, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Good.. Way to many cheaters hacking game saves.. this wont stop the jaiklbreak cheaters but at least its a step in the right direction

and developers should ALL USE Game Center for saves

19. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    This will make us hard to backup some game that don't support icloud or gamecenter saves hard.. Like chaos rings, shadowrun, monster hunter, etc hard to access the savefile, backing it up, and restoring it... The ONLY way to restore it is using backup.. I really don't want that.... Adding additional rom to emulators like gridlee and homebrew will be so hard.....

20. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    If this forces developers to stop being lazy and add game center support its for the better

and emulators can be played on your pc/mac, why even bother with these awful emulators that gets released on ios every now and then when there are far superior emulators that runs on even the most basic pc