The June 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy 5

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jun 1, 2017.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm in the same boat but I'm not as far along. When do I get to buy Hi Potions? Potions are good for healing between fights but they're useless during a fight.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Falcon - I'd recommend getting some element absorbing rings. Then you can use your Mystic Knight as a healer. That's usually how I get around not having a proper healer.

RHess - what's your party?

3. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Using the rings like that is a great idea. I'd have to do a lot of grinding to get the gold to buy them though. Archeoavis is kicking my butt at the moment. I've got a Black Mage, 2 Berzerkers, and a Geomancer.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, the Black Mage is almost as good as a White Mage if you get some Coral Rings or whatever. They're pricey but they'll serve you for the rest of the game.

5. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Good idea. Wouldn't have helped with Atomos, but the elemental rings idea should come in handy later. I got around Atomos by loading up on shuriken and restarting the battle until my Ninja was among my two surviving members; she and Bartz were able to throw and smash just fast enough at level 25 to get us through.

6. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Fortunately, Ronka Ruins was a good place to grind and I got past Archeoavis after gaining 4 levels. I got Samurai for my last job so I finally have a physical attacker I can control! After all of that grinding, I have 41000 Gil so almost enough for one of those rings.

7. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Haha, get used to farming Gil. Zenigane is an instant problem solver if you can afford to use it.

8. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah it's going to be awhile before I can literally throw Gil away.

9. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #169 RHess00, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    So is there a place to buy the elemental rings in world 2? I'm just wondering if I should farm enough Gil to buy them before I lose the chance.

Edit: I decided to move on to world 2. Coin toss will help with boss fights and I can buy Hi potions now so that helps a lot too.

10. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I've hit another sticking point. After taking out Atomos, I whipped through the next dungeon or two and am now getting repeatedly stomped by the boss in the Moore Forest. (For those who have never played before, please post your reaction to the plot revelation in Ghido's Cavern, immediately before this. I would love to know how people take that particular plot development, especially those who have played neither FFV nor FF Tactics Advance.)

Anyway, my issue - the magic damage is simply wrecking me. I can take one of the four bosses down without too much trouble, but the AOE magic attacks they initiate at low health are a huge problem. My party is at level 29 and the magic attacks are doing 50% health to my Knight/MKnight/Lancer, and about 70% to my Ninja (who, of course, is dealing the most damage). Shuriken and physical attacks are doing a pile of damage for me, but I just can't take the heat from these guys. In a normal game, I'd be summoning Titan, using Zeninage/CoinToss, or using another AOE solution, but I'm out of luck here. (I thought about throwing elemental scrolls, but they just don't do enough damage to make them worthwhile.)

I *think* I've got the best buyable equipment, so maybe I just need to grind a few more levels around the free healing spot in Moore Forest.

11. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Got it done. A slight strategy change was mostly what did it. The four bosses only use their AOE magic when they get to relatively low health. What I did was have my Ninja throw two Shuriken while everyone else defended, then waited for the enemy I was targeting to do a normal attack. As soon as it did, I threw a third Shuriken and had everyone else attack. Then, I regrouped and weathered the smaller attacks while healing up with Hi-Potions, rinse and repeat. I took a higher amount of aggregate damage, but the bosses' regular attacks weren't doing all that much damage (200-220 at the most), and this way, I never saw the killer AOE magic.

12. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Got Shica and heading on. I also got my summoner job, second job gotten!

13. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I just beat this boss myself using a similar strategy. I died a few times when I couldn't survive the barrage of AOE magic. Coin toss made it pretty easy but it just came down to timing. I used it once in the first round and defended with everyone else and then used it twice in the second round to take them out.

As far as Ghido's Cavern,
    the fact that the Sage was a turtle was amusing to me because I'm reading a Terry Pratchett book called Small Gods and it's about a god that loses his power and gets trapped in the body of a turtle.
    Also, it was interesting to learn that Exdeath was created when the people corrupted a tree with evil spirits.
    I've never played FF Tactics Advance. Does this connect to that game somehow?

14. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Plot stuff:
    "Exdeath is an evil tree" is what I was going for. That always strikes me as so weird and different from most RPG big bosses. As for FFTA, one of the bosses and summon monsters, "Exodus", is also a very large and powerful tree. "Exodus" in all its forms throughout Ivalice (FFTA / FFXII) are pretty clear references back to FFV.

15. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    As for my progress, I'm into the third segment of the game now. Had a rough time with the big transition boss at the end of the castle. I ended up having to go back and make sure I'd opened all the chests in the castle that I could manage. One of them had a super-powered shuriken that did about 1/6 of the boss's health in one shot (triple the damage my Shuriken have been doing normally). I'm not sure if I NEEDED to use it, but it sure did help.

I also enjoy the battle theme "The Decisive Battle" in this game, so it was nice to get to a part of the game where it's used. Those drums. I'd love to hear an orchestrated version of that song sometime.

16. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I'm enjoying reading about all of you doing the Four Job Fiesta. Thanks guys!

I'm playing through FFIV now I've finished my FFV run. Currently in Babel Tower and fighting my way out. It was a heck of a lot easier on the way in as I had 5 members instead of 4. Grumble. People come and go too quickly in FFIV. Definitely seeing the charm in having a stable 4 party team like you do in the odd Final Fantasy 8/16 bit games. The even games all have at least one rotating spot if not more.

17. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I've progressed a bit today, grinding up the Chicken Knife (super helpful to have Ninja in my party for doing that), and also picking up two of the four tablets to unlock legendary weapons. That's all the weapons I can use, so I guess I can head to the final dungeon now? Trouble is I don't think I have enough HP to manage finishing the game. None of my characters are above 1600 HP right now, and we're all in the early 30s for level.

The roughest fight so far in this segment of the game was the boss in the forest when you're temporarily down to 3 party members. I was lucky enough to land Confuse several times with the Dancing Dagger to have her hit herself. Her shifting elemental weakenesses really did a number on my party that was relying on Air Knives for physical damage.

18. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Back into FFV after taking a couple of days to complete Chutulu Saves the World. I had so little left. Now I'm gringing for a little money before heading on. I'm in Karnak. Still on the Summoner/Black Mage-plan and liking the Summoner quite a lot. Today my fiancé (he proposed this weekend, I started writig boyfriend out of habit ^^ ) will get a new game, so he will be playing Crash B. On the TV and I will play FFV on the couch. The perfect Friday evening if you ask me ^^

19. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Made some good progress in the final dungeon yesterday, but ran into a bit of a brick wall at Twintania. I only had two Coral Rings to absorb its physical counter, and had no Reflect Rings to deal with its final attack. Backed out and went to the Phoenix Tower to nab a Reflect Ring from the enemies on the first floor.

Not being able to equip the three Ribbons I have kind of sucks. I'd forgotten that only two classes can use them in FFV.

I'm outputting a ton of damage with Holy Lance on the Dragoon, a two-handed Excalibur on the Knight, Sasuke's Katana and the Chicken Knife on the Ninja, and the Enhancer on the Magic Knight. In the final dungeon, my problem has been the over-reliance on Holy damage. Luckily the Ninja can just make me run from random battles where foes absorb Holy.

I'll give Twintania another shot today and see how far I can get.

On another note, this replay reminds me just how much I like the final dungeon of FFV. It's really wacky. Shame about the music restarting with every battle, though.

20. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Congratulations Winter9! That's awesome! I wish you all the best.