How Important is Game Center for a successful iOS game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by polysauce, Jul 8, 2015.

1. polysauce

polysauce New Member

Jul 3, 2015
    As an indie team we are trying to see if it is worth while to add game center to steel grit? It seems really important to many people on touch arcade.

Do you think we should incorporate Game Center and remove our custom achievement system? :confused:

2. frazermerrick

frazermerrick Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Composer
    England
    We're using it on our title Fallen, but thats mostly because its very easy in Construct2 and we want to get featured by Apple! The more of their services you tie into, the more they're likely to feature you (as long as its not detrimental to the experience anyway).

3. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I may be one of the few but I've never looked at the Game Center... I think mine may even be deleted as I can't find it on my icons.
    Never knew I had friends that played

4. dragonballgamer

Jul 8, 2015
    I know it helps for getting featured by apple
    infact if you will not include it, i think you dont have any chance to get a feature by apple

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Agreed. Never look at it. Doesn't influence my purchase at all.

6. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    It highly influences my decision. I have easily spent over $4,000.00 on games/IAPs and Game Center is almost a requirement when I consider my purchases. Achievements rather than leaderboards...

I used to enjoy Openfeint but that is long gone.

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Not important to me in the least. I got burnt out on achievement hunting from XBox Live and just prefer to play games now.

8. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I also love achievements. I always look if a game has achievements. If it does then it's instabuy for me. If it doesn't, I always go "priority to games including them so I will come back for that later on".
    From a consumer point of view, it shows devs went that extra length to make their game more "complete" and came up with original and whacky ideas to have their games played differently then intended by having players modify their gameplay or "git good" to be able to unlock them.
    Also, as a consumer, I have the feeling to squeeze out more of a game with achievements coz it forces me to get better and spend more time with the game instead of just beating the main path and get things over with. The sense of accomplishment of having that notif pop up when you sweat and stress over a difficult achievement.
    Finally, GC related, I have a very bad i pression when devs port their games to iOS without GC integration, when the game itself had trophies on all previous platforms it was released on. Most Steam games ported to iOS have that "problem" (Cognition, Blackwell series etc). It gives me this sense that devs were lazy and didn't include something that was previously "part of the game".
    Anyway that's my mentality and you can find it silly. But I love having complete backlogs of games I fully beat, and it's just super nice to scroll a list of all the games you 100% because it constitute a "gaming diary" of all your life as a gamer.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    None at all. Don't use game centre. If a game doesn't have game centre I don't mind at all

Think it's odd when people will only get a game if it has game centre

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Although I said game center is not at all important to me, I do like this point.

11. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    GC is nice to have as an option for multiplayer games since it's easier to invite GC friends to a game or brag an achievement or something

12. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I only ever used it to check how many games I have that actually connect to it and have only recently started touching it more to setup multiplayer with friends. It really doesn't affect anything.