Game Center after upgrading to iOS 5.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BloodFidelity, Oct 15, 2011.

1. BloodFidelity

BloodFidelity Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Cinematographer (Director of Photography, Camera O
    Los Angeles
    I'm a big fan of Game Center and was really excited to see the new changes that iOS 5 brought to it, but I was really disappointed.

Problems I have with the new GC update...

*The game list doesn't load up as fast or sometimes certain games don't load at all. GC loads much slower altogether.
    *On the main page it shows me the correct number of games I have registered but then I go to the games tab and it shows me a lower number.
    *The endless friend requests I receive from people I don't know. They should have a block random invite option.
    *Game/Friend recommendations are annoying. If I don't want to add someone or buy a game, there should be a remove button for it.
    *The last game I play doesn't always load up on GC on the top of the list under the games tab.

Is there anybody else running into these issues?

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Hey what's up?

Yes GameCenter is significantly slower after the iOS 5 update.

I'm not having any problems with different game numbers (try resetting your phone).

Yeah I'm getting a bunch of random friend requests, but I don't mind that as much. Hence my GC name at bottom. But yeah I'm getting random requests. They're more than likely from your friends' friends, who are trying to increase their friends list.

All last games I play show up accordingly (again try resetting your phone).

I actually have complaints about GC as a whole, even before the update. I'll share those if you're interested, if not I won't.

3. BloodFidelity

Mar 20, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Every friend request I have received had no mutual friends. I just read another thread where people were suddenly getting friend requests and it had something to do with the achievement leaderboards that we can now access.

I have restarted my phone many times since the update. I own an 32gb non-jailbroken iPhone4 and I still have 13gb free so a full hard drive shouldn't be the issue but it could be something else in my phone causing GC to lag for me.

Let's hear everyones thoughts on Game Center as a whole since its makeover...

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #4 GoofyJmaster., Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Ah got ya. Yeah I've had GC since its original release and the main ways to get friends have been to add your ID on the AppStore reviews and also to look at leader boards within GC. So if it has something to do with leaderboards people are just searching in them and adding the people who show up first, usually the top ranking players. If you do well in a game, I think it's safe to say expect new players to add you.

If you've ever played XBOX live the same thing happens. I used to get random friend requests and they would just say, yeah we played COD earlier or something like that.

It's all about interpersonal gaming relationships. I just think on the iOS platform it comes off as overkill. In the last couple days the majority of my friend request came from previous friends' friends. And then a few from here, which I don't mind. Anways within the last few days I've gotten about 30 friend requests. Expect it, especially since millions of people will be getting the new iPhone.

As far as GC as a whole I could do without the new recommendations, but I can also live with them. GC is definitely slower, but hopefully Apple will apply some sort of update. As far as other bugs they usually come with new updates of anything.

***My main problem with Game Center is that there is no sort of chat within it. I'm not asking that they go all out and integrate voice chat (which would be nice), but I am asking for at least text chat. It;s already in games, I just wish Apple would integrate it already. I also wish GC would show who's actually online, which would be extremely helpful. The only reason these might not be integrated is because they will bog down the system, but OpenFeint has text chat.

What are your thoughts and sorry if I rambled.

5. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

I added loads of randoms but only if they had quite a few friends in common. I just like to know how I'm doing against my peers. I like the way it's easy to add people. I think basic chat would be good, nothing too fancy. It would also be good if there was a bit more of an optional profile to I can show off my eggcellent sense of humour.

6. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    Being friendly and adding random people to your list to get more "friends" is not the same.

I don't mind people adding me though, as i don't have a constant internet connection on my phone, i couldn't play with people who i would like to add anyway... So i just go up and check out gamecenter sometimes on wi-fi to see how am i doing against the random people on my list..

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I don't think he's complaining. I think he might just be overwhelmed. I can easily receive 5+ invites within a hour. I have 4 that I haven't accepted yet at this very moment.

8. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I haven't got any new invites yet.

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #9 GoofyJmaster., Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    I think the random invites are getting sent to people who have already amassed a decent friends list (their friends are adding you), and it is also getting sent to people who are at the top of leaderboards.

When Game Center first came out there were only a few games that used it and it wasn't as popular as it is now. People were posting their GC names in the comments section of games. I did this also and built a pretty strong friends list a long time ago. So, now people are adding me through the people I previously added. Also, I fair pretty well in certain games' leaderboards.

I have also received a few Touch Arcade friend requests and sent out a few myself.

Hope this helps!

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    At over 400 friends now from the 160 I had last Wednesday. Really wished there was an "accept all" button. Going to have to start deleting people soon. All of them have 5 or more mutual friends though..

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha! You're getting hit harder than me. I went from somewhere aroud the mid 100s and I'm now up to 295.

I just wish there was a sent confirmation for when I do send out requests. :(

12. BloodFidelity

Mar 20, 2011
    Los Angeles
    My friend requests are definitely not close to those numbers! If I were to start accepting any of mine, I'd at least prefer that they come up with a way so we can organize our close friends from the rest. I'd hate to scroll through a hundred or more people just so I can find my favorite friends that I like to compare my scores with most of the time.

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    You're right, there is no organization, but you can search for someone in your friends list if you know their name by heart. When you go to friends pull down and you'll see a white search bar. Even on XBOX there is no organization, but you also can't go pass 99 friends and it always shows you who is actually online first.

14. CrisisInNeed

CrisisInNeed Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Student
    Sydney,nsw,australia
    I just got a random request saying:

"can u suck my dick for $5?"

WTF?

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Looks like someone doesn't consider your services to be worth too much then.

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Hahaha! Sorry dude. I saw that in my email and started cracking up. It was probably just some troll or a-hole. Pretty much, like backtothis said, don't worry about bro.