Need opinions on splash screen

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kraspy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Kraspy

Kraspy Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Please give opinions on the attached splash screen. We have removed the Title, but it went over the planet earth.

Attached Files:

2. It looks a little too mechanical to me, also the background maybe better with a space star background instead of that colored blind background. Also, a different text font could be used. Also a game title on the top may be nice. And I would throw the facebook and twitter icons towards the bottom.

3. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Yea I agree. It looks strange without a title.

4. Kraspy

Kraspy Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    just to clarify the title was removed for posting on the forum. the real screen will have the title.

5. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Ah ok. It also feels too dark for me. Too much black and black thick lines. I almost have trouble making out what I'm looking at as far as the guns go.

6. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How about putting a placeholder Title. (can be anything?) It kinda help with the look and feel of the real screen. =D

7. Asstasticguy

Asstasticguy Active Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like some of your color choices, for example the UFOs looks by them selves very neat.
    The problem I have with the image is that it feels pretty cluttered. There is a lot going on, lots of different objects, different colors and so on (and having the title there would probably not help).
    I would probably try to make the image more focused (I know how diffuse that sounds).
    I also agree about perhaps switching out the background, as it is now it is very unflattering.

8. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    In my opinion, it's cluttered, the whole image is way too dark, the colors are extremely saturated and the position and sizes of the icons/menu seem a little off. I'd also like to see a version with the game's title.

9. spikeyflip

spikeyflip Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    QA lead
    Northern California
    As Balloons mentioned the image appears too dark (specifically the weapons and ufos). Maybe brighten those and make the planet earth less bright? ^^

10. Chaoguy2006

Chaoguy2006 New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Games Design & Production Masters Student
    Very cool!

Only thing I would advice is maybe making the cell-shading lines a little thinner?
    Maybe about half the current thickness.

In addition, some of the shadows are a little to dark and jarring. They need to be a bit softer, and not as dark. Maybe making the shot slightly "saturated" as well.

Could you post a mock title? Kinda curious what colour scheme and font you would use. (Seems like you going for the 80's Sci Fi asethetic?)

11. Leadwerks

Leadwerks New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    One solid rule of thumb on splash screens is make it animated! You can do this in a few cheap ways, such as adding a simple particle effect or rotating certain parts of the image (the world comes to mind in this particular example). The other option is to go all out and fully animate the splash screen.

It has a great look to it, best of luck with development!