Pop Puff and Away! - A deceptively cute looking but challenging puzzle game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AccidentalRebel, Apr 13, 2015.

1. AccidentalRebel

AccidentalRebel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    #1 AccidentalRebel, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

Greetings TouchArcade!

Our game has just been recently accepted to Indie Prize and Casual Connect Asia 2015! This encouraged us to go out and spread word about our game some more!

We are hoping to be part of this awesome community so expect to see more of us soon! :)

Yummy Description
    Pop Puff and Away! is a cute looking but challenging puzzle game where stepping on arrows throws you in the direction they are pointing at. Control our two protagonists and help them get all the treats scattered on the island!

Mouthwatering Screenshots
    Link to more screenshots below. Click on the image for more!
    [​IMG]

Tantalizing Video Gameplay

Sweet game details
    • - Around 50+ levels to solve!
    • - Has 5 different worlds each with their own unique puzzle mechanic!
    • - Play the first few levels for free. Unlock everything else with just a one time payment!
    • - Will be out for Android, IOS, and FireFox OS!

2. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Was told that the thread needed some giffy goodness. Let me fix that.

Here are some updates that we posted on our devlog from the last two weekends.

Infinite Loops
    While playing around with one of the puzzle mechanics, we've found out that you can get yourself stuck in an infinite loop if you are not careful. You can just restart a level if you do get stuck but it's just fun to watch.
    [​IMG]

Highlighting arrows connected to switches
    We added a feature where touching switches highlights the arrows that it is connected to. It is an effort to make it easy for players to plan their moves.

[​IMG]

Background detail polishes
    Added a bit more polish to the levels. For the gif below, I've added a simple animation to the windmill. It's not much but it does add a bit more liveliness to the level. There will be more soon, of course.

[​IMG]

3. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Cute graphic.. :D

4. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    #4 AccidentalRebel, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Chapter Purchase Window

We reworked our chapter purchase window to make sure that it is clear to players what they will get from buying all the chapters.

[​IMG]

For example, we made sure to explain that each chapter will have a new puzzle mechanic that they will get to play around with when they purchase. We've also highlighted three trial levels so that they could get a gist of the mechanic. Plus, a very big button with a shopping cart icon for easy purchasing.

Here's a better view of one of the chapter purchase windows (Pardon the quality of the text):

[​IMG]

We have still yet to test the new layout if it is user friendly and easy to understand. Will definitely post the results here soon. :)

5. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Oh, so cute! Am keeping my eye on this one!

6. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #6 keybol, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Interesting mechanics plus cute graphics = WIN!

There are so many interesting and original mechanics in this game like bumping the other character and the switches that turn the arrows. I also like how adorable the characters are and the little details in the background are very interesting especially when they animate.

7. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Thanks, Keybol! The puzzle mechanics were a result of a multitude of experimentation. We started with just the basic one and introduced some twists little by little. Right now we have 5 puzzle mechanics and we are thinking of adding more players clamor for it. :)

8. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    The graphic is cute. :D

9. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Thank you, guys! Cute is definitely what we were going for. However, it is not easy as it looks. We want players to feel challenged when playing this game. :)

10. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Oh, yes, the puzzling is the important thing! The cuteness is a very nice icing on the cake but, yeah, the puzzling is paramount. :)

Have you discussed a possible release timeframe here yet? I did look, but didn't notice anything. 'Course I might have just missed it. I'd love to know when we might expect to enjoy this one.

11. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Hi Velentia! Yes, we have plans on having a "soft launch" of the game at Casual Connect Asia 2015. The game got accepted in Indie Prize and we are planning to use that event as debut for the game. This means, we will be opening up beta testing very soon so keep an eye out for that. ;) We will be sure to update this thread when that happens!

Thanks!

12. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Fantastic! I will definitely be watching for the beta test announcement. Thank you for responding!

13. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Here's a video where I test the latest build of Pop Puff and Away! on an iPad 3. I can definitely say that making sure that games look good on many devices is tricky. Which is why we need to test wherever available just to make sure.

14. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Background Music in Pop Puff and Away!

From the very start, we already knew that we wanted to have a cutesy looking game. We all worked closely with each other to make the experience feel coherent. This goes with the art and of course the music.

Here are some of the tracks that are currently in the game:

Here's the tree island chapter theme:
    [​IMG]

Here's the town chapter theme
    [​IMG]

More will be uploaded soon! Tell us what you guys think!

15. jvfiel

jvfiel Active Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Invite please! :D I wanna play with those cuties

16. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    Soon, Mr. JVFiel, soon. ;)

17. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Such adorable goodness!
    I wanna play..... :)

Universal?
    Release date?
    Etc.....

:)

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Oh, okay! From the title I thought this was an ad for e-cigarettes or something!

19. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    • Yes it will be universal.
    • Release date still undecided but we will be having a soft launch on May 18th!
    • We will be sure to post here if we are looking for people to play the game :)

20. AccidentalRebel

Apr 12, 2015
    New Game Icon!

Here's the old logo:
    [​IMG]

Here's the new one:
    [​IMG]

Here's a mockup of how it looks like on devices. Big thanks to http://www.makeappicon.com/.
    [​IMG]