Best Risk game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SimonBS, Oct 11, 2010.

1. SimonBS

SimonBS Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Hi,

Some friends and I enjoy playing Conquist on my iPad and this even just with the lite version. Now we have decided to buy a full version Risk-like game. We have considered the full version of Conquist but would like to ask you what your favorite Risk-like game for the iPad is.

I hope you can help us decide :)

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you have a built in group of friends that you wish to play with, Generals is very polished. Check for HD version. You can play live and push games.

If you also want to play with strangers, avoid Generals (it has no time control, which kills online games with strangers) and check out Dominion. Again, check for HD version. You can only play push games, not live.

Both games might scale ok even if there is no HD version. I havent tested yet, sorry. If no one else can comment on that, I'll try and test later.

There is another risk clone with online play the name of which escapes me. The rules are heavily modified and there is never anyone to play, so I say avoid.

3. SimonBS

Sep 6, 2010
    Thank you very much for your answer. Sadly, there is no HD version of Generals and I would really like my apps to fit to the iPad.

I don't think I will play with strangers. Risk is really meant to ve played with friends :)

Dominion seems great. I might try that.

Thank you.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not quite the same as Risk, but the one I keep turning back to is Strategery, because of how fast it plays. It's a Dice Wars (flash game) clone with more options & online play.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Lux Touch - I remember that one being good. Never got the Deluxe version as it was too expensive. (I think it was originally like $7 or something...)

5. bishopia

bishopia Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'll second Strategery. Very fast play, sharp graphics and randomized maps. You get some pretty interesting shaped continents.

6. SimonBS

Sep 6, 2010
    #6 SimonBS, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Strategery actually looks very nice. I think I will try that one and Conquist full version out. Thanks for your replies :)

7. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I've played them all and this is the order I rank them:

1- Dominion - best for online multi-player

2 - LUX DLX - Can be a bit laggy when playing larger maps, but this is the best Risk-clone when playing against an AI - The large number of available maps makes it worth the purchase

3 - Strategery - I've been playing this since its release in '08 and still love it

4 - Risk by EA - It's not bad, but its not good either. Graphics look nice though :rolleyes:

5 - Generals - This used to be my favorite, but now its at the bottom of the list. If the devs ever release an update that fixes the stability of the app don't hesitate to download this. When it was working, the online multi-player of Generals was by far the best Risk experience in the App Store. Hold off for now though, the game is WAY too buggy to be enjoyable at the moment.

I don't have and iPad, but Conquist looks really good as well

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Life my friend.

9. jps1012

jps1012 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    What's the best iPad risk like game to play with one other person (like pass n play)?

10. pixlepix

pixlepix Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I really like the EA risk. Controls are very streamlined, and the game goes fast.

11. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
  12. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
  13. Gritztastic

Gritztastic Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    DC
    Dominion/ Dominion HD for multiplayer Risk. Lots of map options, always easy to get games going.

14. jps1012

jps1012 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Local or online multiplayer? I'm looking for 2 players locally. Thanks