Is it time that Apple got serious about traditional games and traditional gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Nov 5, 2010.

?

Would you like to see something like the mockup released and supported by Apple?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 wikoogle, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    Delete this. Posted in error

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    With this kind of crap, it becomes 'just another' gaming platform.
    No thanks.

3. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #3 wikoogle, Nov 5, 2010
    Delete this thread mods. Thank you

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    mmm... yes it could be good with some games.
    And something like this could prompt serious developers to create or port large big budget games over onto the iPhone because there is no longer a control issue.

However, I like the way that the iPhone distances itself from other consoles and its unique games are in some ways much better than what the PSP can achieve. But I wouldn't object to a controller being introduced.

5. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I agree with Balu, I like the iphone because of the awesome touch controls, I think that if a gaming case were introduced developers would stop putting so much effort into awesome touch controls like mc2's and put effort more into the physical button controls.

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    This is one way of opening the market to bigger companies. The other one is, that they get a little more creative and do what indie devs could: make proper controls for this platform. I mean, there's at least one of every kind of game that's well-playable on the platform.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Nope, I definitely don't want a controller. I have grown to love the touch screen and I think it's perfectly adequate for gaming.

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    or we could just accept that the idevices are perfectly suited for some games and not so well-suited for others and design games that play to the device's strengths rather than trying to shoe-horn specific games onto the device becuase a certain segment of the gaming community doesn't feel the particular games best suited to the device are "hardcore" enough...

:)

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    "hardcore" games can work well on the iPhone though. Games like Modern Combat 2, Galaxy on Fire 2, COD: Zombies, Epic Citadel etc. They all control fine for me and they wouldn't work nearly as well if they were on a portable console with buttons like the PSP or DS. I suppose some people may find it hard to control games like these, but that's no reason for developers to stop making them.

10. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    absolutely.

I'd just rather devs focused on designing games from the ground up that use the device to its potential rather than trying to port games from other systems that are just not really built around the touch screen as a control interface.

11. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The majority of hardcore gamers which havent looked at the iDevice as a gaming console are dismissing it completely coz of lack of controls. I really think an Apple supported gaming accessory will be a giant leap for iDevices as a gaming console. Just look at any non-iOS centric gaming blog like kotako and everytime they mention an iPhone game, the comments are full of people dismissing iDevices coz of crappy touch controls. I cant blame them. Unless you own an iDevice yourself and know how well the controls can work for majority of games, you cant know the true potential of the multi touch screen controls. If there is an official gamepad, this might change.

All of us here are used to touch controls already and obviously we dont think it is a problem. If it was a problem for you, you woulndt be wasting time on an iPhone gaming forum. So its understandable when most of us dismiss the need for such an accessory. But think from those gamer's perspective who havent spent enough time with iDevices. What's holding them back and making them pick a PSP (they are still selling, maybe not to many compared to nintendo's offering but still they are selling) which is inferior to an iPod touch in every aspect except the controls. Its the touch controls. If an accessory like this helps clear their doubt and see it as a gaming deivice, I'm all for it.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Definitely not.
    The iDevice is unique in its touch screen use and I find FPS controls for games like COD:Z, Nova, and MC2 to be both precise and quick, not sure what you're talking about.

13. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The reason I see this not happening is because unless this addon is made by Apple, we would need a separate category in the store for "iBone Only" compatible games. How would the app serve both functions, touch and controller addon?

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #14 dumaz1000, Nov 6, 2010
    First hardware device that finds a way to support duel analog functionality is going to gain a massive leg up on the competition when it comes to satisfying what you might call the "hardcore gamer." I suspect that the PSP 2 will utilize duel analog "nubs," and will be the first to do so. A "Classic" controller would not excite me. I don't think we'll see anything for iOS devices using a duel analog design. It would likely be more classic. I just get that feeling, if it ever happened at all, which is unlikely to begin with. It seems to me like it would be easier and cheaper to go with a simplier design, using d-pads, if any company was even going to try at all.

15. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I'd love to see a good controller case, so long as it doesn't look like complete crap and matches the styling of the platform.

I love iOS gaming, but for many games the TS is pathetic for controls. Especially some types of action games. Would be great to have options for people who want real controls instead.

16. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    This.

Does Black Pegasus control well? Sure, but would I be better at it with a controller? Absolutely. Some games are just better suited than others to the iDevices. That's part of why it's a successful platform; we already have 2 other major handhelds that handle traditional games.

It's clear that a lot of people want the traditional Modern Warfare experience on the iPhone though, so who knows. We might just see a controller peripheral succeed eventually (the one pictured is already in development I believe).

17. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    It's not really needed just yet. As of now, there aren't many games that need anything else other than what the iPhone has. The iPhone is completely capable with the sort of games being released now. But once games start getting more complicated, that's when you need actual buttons. But my overall opinion, I'd rather the iPhone steer clear of things like this. I like my PSP and I don't want a reason to neglect it.

18. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Agree, I don't see how it could work if it's not sold with the device itself as it's done with any console. But well do you see Apple sells iPhone with pads controllers?

The second problem is the gameplay of any games with action and the controls are bound. Games done for physical pads and touch controls will have hard time to be really compatible to both controls system and keep a good gameplay for both systems.

And for games done only for physical pads this end to the first point, it makes no sense for Apple to try doing that until many many years, if they first build a solid experience and knowledge base on gaming through touch gaming. Even then I don't see how the transition from iPhone/iPod touch gaming would be done to standard handled console gaming.