Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old Today, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroReaver View Post
As amazing as this is, would it be possible to optimise it's data usage? Within an hour of downloading and playing in the same place with no players in my immediate area, I had used 30MB on my phone plan. This might not sound like much, but to me it is
Other than this, 5 stars!
All the big data (map, leaderboards, ...) are already zipped during the transfers, so there's not much I can gain there unless I reduce the size of the map (though I could slightly increase the compression factor on the server now that I have a better cache).

In normal usage, you download the surrounding area once (which takes about 160k on an iPhone), and then the rest of the transfers (taps, presses) are really small. If you start scrolling around however, you will re-download 160ko every time you scroll an entire map screen. This will indeed add up quickly.

I should add a warning in the App Store description though, even if it's more or less expected from an online game.
Old Today, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
Here it is!
Location is around -1870 -2500
That's amazing

Here's a convenient link to see it on the web: http://afewbillion.com/?c=-1870&r=-2500&un=Calamitat

It's going to be swallowed pretty soon, but if people are careful it should still be visible with the link (since it also selects your area which will then appear darker).
Old Today, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syro View Post
In the spirit of brainstorming some very vague ideas on adding more depth to the gameplay (I come from an RPG background so many of these ideas are slanted that way):
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I like the levelling one. A very simple idea that comes to mind is custom titles depending on the size of the empire. Those titles could appear in the leaderboards for example, and would motivate people to keep playing.

The color is a bit tricky to do, both technically and aesthetically. I love the idea of having everybody in a different color, but it would quickly become a big mess instead of the nice shades of blue that we have right now. But it's definitively something that I have in mind.

The dungeons are interesting, but it sounds like a very different game that might be better fitted to the other non multiplayer mine sweepers of the app store don't you think?

I love discoverable items. One of my initial ideas was to have special tiles around the board that you could collect, pokemon style*. They would appear randomly like Sonars and Wipers, but their only purpose would be to be collected.

And then I can definitively add more tools to the current sonar/wiper combo.

* if you look around the [0, 0] location in a 500 tiles range, you might still find some weird white tiles that you cannot tap or press. Those used to be "treasures" in the initial versions. The client doesn't know what to do with them anymore so I tried to delete all of them manually, but I might have missed some