How To Edit a Thread Subject?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by phil_, Feb 11, 2012.

1. phil_

phil_ Active Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Hi,

I've done a few searches but cant find out how to do this, or even if its possible.

How do i edit one of my own threads subject?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Hit the report post button and request a new thread title. :)

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I'm pretty sure you have to ask a moderator.

4. phil_

phil_ Active Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    And when you request a new thread title remember:

- Make it descriptive (eg: Include the name of the game).

- Try to avoid using temporary labels like "Just released" as that requires additional title changes in future.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I also noticed that it is sometimes possible, when nobody else posted, to change the thread title in the first few minutes after making the new thread.
    You need click on the "edit" button and then "go advanced".
    Dunno if this is still working.

7. Marianne

Marianne Administrator
    Staff Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Female
    TouchArcade Ad Sales, MacRumors Editor
    Boston
    #7 Marianne, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Actually, there's no need to ask a moderator to do this. The OP just needs to click the Edit button in the first post of the thread and then the Go Advanced button there. Editing the thread's title will be possible from that screen.

My bad. I thought this worked like it does on other forums but it doesn't. You do need to contact a mod to change the title of a thread. Ideally, don't contact me since clearly I'm not around here enough to know this. :eek::D

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #8 Royce, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    This won't actually work unless the post was just made. After a minute or two, that will just result in the header of the OP being changed but not the actual thread title. You do have to request moderator assistance.

Edit: Hmmm... you're a mod so you should know, but I just tested and it doesn't work. What's the deal?

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    That's not how it works here. Most forums (including macrumors) allow for thread title edits by the OP but TA for some reason won't show the updated title unless it was done by a mod. I asked arn a while back and he said it had something to with the vbulletin version TA uses.

So contacting a mod is the only way to get the thread title updated. And using the report post button will be the easiest and fastest way to contact a mod.

10. Marianne

Marianne Administrator
    Staff Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Female
    TouchArcade Ad Sales, MacRumors Editor
    Boston
    My bad. I checked that this option was available here but didn't actually test it to make sure it worked and just assumed it did based on my experience at other forums like MacRumors. I'll edit my post above to avoid misleading people...