Realmaze3D - the maze game to end all maze games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Eric5h5, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Submitted to the app store, let's see how long it takes to get approved. Not just another 2D maze game dressed up in 3D graphics, this is an actual 3D maze (or, rather, a nearly unlimited number of them) where you have to climb up and down ladders too. Wow your friends with the unprecedented on the iPhone (as far as I know) dynamically created 3D lighting effects. Typically runs at 60fps on a 2G iPod touch, with controls that are just as smooth, and if you're sick of iPhone games that don't respect you as a player, this isn't one of them--interrupt the game anytime, anywhere and resume right where you left off, and play your iPod music if you want. You can use tilt or touch or a combo (personally I like tilt for looking up/down and touch for turning), and tilt auto-calibrates when you start or pause a game.

Also: can choose from 5 different maze sizes ranging from quick'n'easy to really freakin' hard, can display a compass to help keep your bearings, can leave a trail of breadcrumbs behind to show where you've been in case you get really really lost (seems you were transported into the maze carrying nothing but a stale sandwich), and challenge yourself with a timer to see how fast you can escape with a best times list for each maze size (or if you just want a relaxed game, feel free to ignore the timer).

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

Also, the icon:

[​IMG]

Will be available for $.99, and there are some more features I thought of that I think would be nice to have in an update, so there's more to come.

--Eric

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    This looks pretty cool. Is there an overview map so you can plan where you want to go? Beyond finding your way out of the maze, are there accomplishments/trophies, and are there other obstacles besides walls that you need to watch out for?

3. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Is it just blind guessing? Or is there some logic for where to go or other gameplay elements? game looks very good -- great potential.

4. Eric5h5

No overview map...I did think about it, but with a actual 3D maze with multiple levels, it's kind of tough to implement in a good way. That's where the trail of breadcrumbs idea came from, actually; it's sort of a map substitute so you can keep track of where you've been. I spent some time on the maze algorithm, so it's more about using your sense of direction and memory--it's not just the same walls everywhere, there are landmarks--although there is of course still an element of luck involved. I can say that I've solved hundreds of mazes in the course of testing, and you think I'd be sick of it by now, but I'm actually not. :) It's just fun and has a nice feel somehow. My favorite sizes are small and normal...the bigger ones are usually a bit much for me, but I think some people might want them and I have gotten through a few large ones.

As far as accomplishments, it's primarily about getting best times, but one feature of the update is that there will be some online competition.

--Eric

5. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    online? wow, seems like youve covered all the bases (auto-save, playing your own music, calibration, multiple control options, and now online:))

6. MojoArcanus

MojoArcanus Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Any guns to blow things up with...and things to blow up with guns????:D

7. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    haha -- if i didn't know you were joking (you were, right?), i would probably think you were one of those shallow folks who can't enjoy a game without guns (i can't stand those people)

8. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #8 Big Albie, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
    This sounds like a lot of fun so I'll be watching out for this one. The online competition seems like a natural for something like this. For sound effects, is there background music and the sound of footsteps as you walk around?

Any other ideas for the update? (I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself with that question since 1.0 isn't even out yet). Btw, this all sounds great to me so far since I'm a puzzler at heart.

9. Eric5h5

No guns, sorry. ;) My next game will have guns and stuff blowing up real good, though, so you could always wait for that one. :D

Yep, I don't do things in half measures. :) I could spend less time and put out an "OK" game, but I just can't make myself do that. A bit of a perfectionist I'm afraid.

There's a short title music piece, and the sound in the game has footsteps (and ladder-climbing sounds as the case may be), plus some industrial ambient sound. Here is an mp3 of me playing the game for about 45 seconds (best experienced on the device when using headphones).

One idea is different selectable visual themes for the mazes. I haven't got bored of the current one yet, but I did want to do some additional graphics, and to me this is the sort of "nice to have but not essential" thing that would be good in an update.

--Eric

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I think changing visual themes would add some variety. It may not even have to be selectable. It could be something that changes randomly with each maze. As you do add more in the updates, you could continue to add to the feel of the game with a variety of background music. Of course, these are just suggestions since I haven't even played with Realmaze yet.

11. Eric5h5

Not a bad idea...that's what I thought of originally, but changed my mind. I'm thinking I'll change it back; would save me having to add a "select theme" option to the preferences and could add a bit of extra spice if you don't know what you're getting ahead of time. ;)

--Eric

12. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Exactly. And if you decide to add additional sounds, you could have those alternate randomly as well because that would add another layer of variety. I was thinking with the timer, you could make that an option. By offering it that way, you effectively create two modes: Timed and Freeplay.

I'm planning to pick up the game when it comes out so I'll probably have some additional feedback/suggestions depending on the gameplay.

13. Eric5h5

Right now you can choose to just ignore it (nothing bad will happen if you take too long), though yeah, it wouldn't hurt to actually make it go away.

Great! :)

--Eric

14. MojoArcanus

Mar 23, 2009
    Yes, I was joking about the guns...swords and knives would be MUCH better!!!:p
    Seriously though, this game looks like it will be a great one! I'm sure I'll pick it up as soon as it's released (I'm NOT joking about that!):D

15. MojoArcanus

Mar 23, 2009
    You know, another possible feature could be the ability to earn tags or marks that you can place on walls of your choosing to help you not go in circles. You would have to EARN these though. Even allow us to customize these tags or marks. Just an idea.

16. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Are you thinking this would be in addition to the breadcrumbs or would this replace it?

17. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Just saw this thread...nice idea for the game, sounds like it has a lot of potential. Most likely I'll be buying it.

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Nice idea. Adding to the idea:

You mark like cats mark. Think about that one. :D

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I don't know if we need a cat litter mode. :rolleyes:

20. Eric5h5

Hmmm...I think Apple might reject that. ;) Although maybe not...they did approve Pee Monkey after all....

Anyway, definitely an interesting idea; just wondering how the player would earn the marks. Completing X number of mazes maybe?

--Eric