Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 PM

Default Cloudytown - (by Julian Glander)

Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

The rain needs more rain! (longer duration)
Also, since the cloud is huge, maybe larger hit area around the target?

The controls look stiff and only 8-directional. Do you pan with your finger?

What is the challenge in this game? Do you get more fires? Do you get different sized fires? Do they spread?

Looks really sweet, but pointless unless more things happen.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Honestly believe that the AppStore reviews were by the developers or their friends. I find it difficult to believe that this many people would rate it 5 stars. I get that people like simplistic and casual games, but I wouldn't even call this simplistic. It's just..bad. The screenshots drew me in a little bit, as I kind of like the graphics scheme, but I quickly deleted it after putting out 4 fires.

The controls are quite sloppy, and at times even unresponsive. I'm not even sure there's a way to lose this game. You just continuously move to the different fires and stand DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THEM to put them out. That's it. There is no end. There are no achievements. There are no leaderboards. Welcome to Cloudytown, where we rain upon your sad life and make it even worse with a terrible game.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird1500 View Post
Honestly believe that the AppStore reviews were by the developers or their friends. I find it difficult to believe that this many people would rate it 5 stars. I get that people like simplistic and casual games, but I wouldn't even call this simplistic. It's just..bad. The screenshots drew me in a little bit, as I kind of like the graphics scheme, but I quickly deleted it after putting out 4 fires.

The controls are quite sloppy, and at times even unresponsive. I'm not even sure there's a way to lose this game. You just continuously move to the different fires and stand DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THEM to put them out. That's it. There is no end. There are no achievements. There are no leaderboards. Welcome to Cloudytown, where we rain upon your sad life and make it even worse with a terrible game.

Suspect this review wont be going up on the developers site
Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

I dloaded cos I like the graphic style but have to say the controls feel weird and are often non responsive, just sure what the point of it is as you just keep going around putting out a fire, there doesn't a appear to be any difficulty increase or even levels or stages, you have a count of how many fires you have put out but without actually dying or levels etc it's just one continuous count, I ended up quitting as I was bored.

Achievments or mission would add meat to it, such as putting our ten fires in a minute or something.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the thoughts on the game, all!
The general consensus seems to be that a lot of people want Cloudytown to be more engaging with levels, rewards, missions, etc., and I don't disagree that it's probably too dead simple for most.

My aim with Cloudytown was to create a more zen-like experience with a focus on design and aesthetics. In some ways it's more like looking at a snowglobe or a model train set than playing a typical iOS video game. To me, the lack of a challenge or narrative is a core element of Cloudytown, where a user can space out and move around a graphically pleasing landscape without repercussions.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I appreciate all the downloads and suggestions
-Julian
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

For me, it would have been more zen if the controls had been more fluid. Someone mentioned 8-direction, but to me it felt like 4-direction. I couldn't move diagonally, just in a stair-stepping pattern. Controls that allowed you to move as if you are swooping would feel better.

I got tired of fighting the controls after four fires, and quit.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 AM

I agree with the comments above, but I appreciate the developer stopping by to explain the concept behind the game. The graphics sure are pretty. 😄
Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 AM

I was kind of hoping this was secretly part of Frog Fractions 2.