over zealous mods!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by ipad2user, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    I think you might need to keep an eye on your mods, as theres some very eager ones who seem to get a kick out of pushing people around and banning them for really trival reasons.

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    It was another Mod that dealt with your posts, but I had a quick look.

It's pretty obvious that posts talking about donkey's appendages are unacceptable. And you've had a couple of requests to tone down your language.

So, ummmm, yeah, just stop swearing. We have kids on the site.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Over zealous mods?

I dealt with your posts and edited 3 of them due to swearing. You were warned, then carried on swearing.

If you don't want to be put in timeout simply stop swearing or being rude.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Att Mods

I'd like to know what is considered swearing? I typed
    f'ing
    which can easily be shorthand for "freaking" or "frecking" or a ton of other words. It can be nearly anything in my eyes. If it is considered swearing, why? I would understand writing a "swear" word would not be tolerated, however a child who does not know a swear word isn't learning anything from my text. If a child sees it as a swear word, I am not the one who taught them it. The only reason I care to even ask is because I believe I understand how to follow rules appropriately, I haven't had any issues until most recently by a single mod, and now I am thinking the mod has something else entirely against me for some reason. I'd like some clarification here, please. :confused:

Thank you.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here's your clarification: stop being disingenuous and follow the site rules. If you can't do that, then find another forum.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Gotta say though, this particular rule is applied very haphazardly. Eli himself posts swears all the time. The "F" word seems to be automatically converted to poop emojis so you can't search it, but just search for posts by Eli with the "S" word in them. There are 4 pages of posts. Now I understand mods can't catch everything and unless someone reports a post, many of these will slip through, but Admins should at least set an example we can follow.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #7 psj3809, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    I've nothing against you at all. Its just a way of people to bypass the swear filter. You cant swear (it gets asterisked) so you obviously type it the other way to bypass it. I'm not upset by swearing but if you keep swearwords then everyone will start doing it

I've amended many in the past (so its not just you) or replaced the 'f' word with 'fluffy' or something non-offensive. I would rather concentrate on spammers/shillers on the site and not users who are trying to get round the swear filter. Gotta laugh, spend tons of my free time helping delete shill accounts, spam posts, not a word of thanks, second you edit a post where someone tries to get round the swear filter and all hell breaks loose !

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I agree that the language moderation is overkill, we've amended the rules to say to keep your language "PG-13".

9. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I very much appreciate your response. I certainly do not wish to create more issues/drama for anyone.

Thank you for your feedback Eli. Now to figure out what PG13 language means lol. :p

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    No worries. I hate biting my tongue I must admit, as I swear with the best of them!

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    From the MPAA:
    So "#### yeah!" Is okay. "####in' #### yeah" is not (with some exceptions). "Person A ####ed person B" is not okay. And it would appear any non-sexually-derived curse words are okay.

12. All I see is poop. :p

13. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    If PG-13 is the way we should be doing things, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with "f'ing". Or effing, if that fits your fanta phone.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It should also allow for starring out words, which I have been hassled about by mods on many occasions, both individual letter replacement and complete word replacement. I don't see why "****" should be disallowed when you can't apply any words you don't already know to it, and what if I changed it to "***"? You'd still know I'm swearing, but I bet you couldn't give me the word, because even I don't know it.

I should point out that I never intended to be disingenuous about it either, many websites and forums consider it good etiquette.

15. They should change astericks to poop too, then this wouldn't be an issue. :p

16. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Did he just get put in time out for this post? LMAO :D I'm sorry Royce! I appreciate your attempts for clarification!

I think that's what Eli meant and since your post isn't edited I suppose they're fine. :)

17. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    The English language is extensive enough for there is no need to use any swear words of any kind to say what you want to say :)

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    As they say, vulgarity is merely a poor substitute for wit.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I think there must be an autoban associated with the filter (wish I'd known before :p ). My post didn't break any current rules and was not moderated so I don't think a mod would have done it.

20. The moral of the story is don't poop.