iPhone Trudy's Mechanicals, a steampunk tactics game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Incubator, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Hi guys, we just wanted to reach out and announce our steampunk-themed tactics game, Trudy's Mechanicals!

[​IMG]

We just started development on it, but we're aiming to release it at the end of the year. We're also focusing on it as an iPad-first game (not an upscaled iPhone port) and are looking to take full advantage of the platform.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post on our website or right here in the forums, and we'll try to answer all inquiries.

Cheers!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You probably should move this then to Upcoming iPad Games.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    First, welcome to the TA forums!

That said, this thread should go in the Upcoming iPad Games sections. A mod will probably move it for you (you can't do it yourself).

The idea of a steampunk themed tactic game sounds very, very intriguing. It is going to be a turn-based SRPG (like Shining Force or War of Eustrath)? Or will it be real time and more action-based?

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    And big heavy dosages of randomization!

I also hope we can look forward to an iPad version of your upcoming PC title, Tribes of Mexica, as it looks like a hoot!

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Looks cool, can't wait for more info! :)

6. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Sorry about that -- somewhere between registering our account and writing the post, I clicked on the wrong subforum.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Our base blueprint for the game is a classical SRPG like Shining Force/Final Fantasy Tactics, albeit a bit more streamlined. How much that results in a bit more action/real-time execution is something we're playtesting right now, although the game will definitely be played in turns.

As for Tribes of Mexica, we've always considered an iPhone/iPad port (the touch-interface is just such a natural fit), but we're currently focusing on developing the tools and expertise necessary to bring it to PCs, with Mac and Linux ports following after.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Excellent -- exactly what I was hoping it would be. You should definitely check out The War of Eustrath to see how the genre can be implemented successfully on a touchscreen.

Best of luck!

8. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Thanks for the tip, although due elevations/3D terrain, our game will probably be closer to Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics than Shining Force, which The War of Eustrath seems to resemble. We also have a bunch of ideas on how to streamline the interface that we haven't seen on the iPad yet, and are eager to implement them in Trudy's Mechanicals.

9. Abbas

Abbas Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Hi guys, I've been following your updates on your site and think you got a great game in the making.. Any word on a release date?

Abbas

10. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

It'll probably be a while as we're just wrapping up our 3D asset pipeline and doing another work-for-hire project on the side. The ballpark is "this year", so although there's no definitive date, keep checking out the site as we'll be sure to post any updates there.

Thanks for the interest!

11. Scarface81

Scarface81 Active Member

Feb 19, 2011
    USA
    Turn-based steampunk? I'm sold! Looking forward to this.

12. TrainWreck

TrainWreck Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Handyman
    Central California
    #12 TrainWreck, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Wow I just stumbled apon this thread and after reading this, I like ^^
    I have been looking for game just like this for my iPad, I can't wait.

13. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

Thanks guys, we'll definitely post some more screenshots/videos/etc. once are assets are finalized in-game.

14. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Looking for to this tactics game! I really like the artwork and unique units.

15. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    waiting for some screenshots / teaser videos to tantalize!

16. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

We've been discussing that internally, but we're not quite sure when would be the best time for that. We could show the game with all the assets we currently have, but we're still implementing all the fancy lighting/shader/particle effects -- without those, we wouldn't exactly be putting our best foot forward.

That won't be completed for a while though, and since we also don't want to show doctored mock-ups, I was thinking of making some out-of-game videos, e.g., character animation reels or a tour of our level editor. Hopefully that'll give everyone a taste of what to expect.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That sounds great.

18. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

#18 Incubator, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Animation looks great. It was also worthwhile following the link to your website and checking out progress. Any idea of when you'll be getting to alpha on this?

20. Incubator

Incubator Active Member

It's hard to say as at this time our work-for-hire projects are the main bread-winners and must take priority, but we'd definitely like to be at that point by the end of the year.